Stanford's Lili Thompson transfers to ND | The Boneyard

Stanford's Lili Thompson transfers to ND

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Just perusing through some WBB forums today and while on the Cardinal board I come across this: WBB: Kate Paye interview The comment came from a new contributor on their board. In case any of you can't get in to read what it says I will put their comment in quotes here: "Way to deflect. Lili Thompson quit the team. One of the team's mvp's from last season will no longer be playing. No press release; no explanation anywhere. She just decided to quit."

I have not seen this confirmed anywhere. She is still on their roster on their website (although I do not believe it has been updated for the coming year) and her twitter account still says she is a Stanford WBB player. However, those on the board who think it may be true are saying it is likely due to concussions.

Anyone else get a whiff of this anywhere else?

Reaction Score
Just perusing through some WBB forums today and while on the Cardinal board I come across this: WBB: Kate Paye interview The comment came from a new contributor on their board. In case any of you can't get in to read what it says I will put their comment in quotes here: "Way to deflect. Lili Thompson quit the team. One of the team's mvp's from last season will no longer be playing. No press release; no explanation anywhere. She just decided to quit."

I have not seen this confirmed anywhere. She is still on their roster on their website (although I do not believe it has been updated for the coming year) and her twitter account still says she is a Stanford WBB player. However, those on the board who think it may be true are saying it is likely due to concussions.

Anyone else get a whiff of this anywhere else?

There is nothing out there other then speculation on their forums where they do make mention of past concussions and unhappy parents...............perhaps it is still up in the air

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Wow I hate they for Stanford. Good luck to Lili and her future.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
Hopefully nothing serious causing her to leave the team. Lili is a really, really good player and I wish her all the best. It is a big loss for Stanford.

Reaction Score
Hmm, if its her decision to leave the team, why is she still on scholarship?
Colleges and universities that are need blind usually offer scholarships not for a specific talent (athletic, academic, etc) but for economic need. Once matriculated, the student need not play a single minute for that school. Varies somewhat I assume, but that's the general idea.

Reaction Score
Colleges and universities that are need blind usually offer scholarships not for a specific talent (athletic, academic, etc) but for economic need. Once matriculated, the student need not play a single minute for that school. Varies somewhat I assume, but that's the general idea.

You know, I can't accept this interpretation. Let's keep in mind that "need-blind" doesn't mean that you don't have to work a student job, or work during vacations, or take out loans- often lots of loans. For normal kids, "meeting full financial need" often means requiring the family or student to take out loans that can be ruinous. An athletic scholarship covers room, board, and tuition. But if a kid isn't on an athletic scholarship, big-time programs often kick the kid of that scholarship, and make him/her apply for regular aid. Only recently have some conferences begun assuring kids of four years of athletic scholarships, even if they're injured or choose not to compete.

And we don't know what the family financial status is for Lilli Thompson. So it's not beyond belief that Stanford would require her, if no longer playing basketball, to get on another form of financial aid.

Leaves a lot to be explained.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
If this is due to concern about concussions or any other physical issue related to her ability to play, most universities will find a way to pay for the rest of the player's college degree. If the team has an available scholly they will just renew it, of they don't they will find another source for the scholarship.

If a player just quits the team because they no longer want to be a member of the team, then it is likely the scholarship will be withdrawn and the player will need to negotiate like any other student based on need.

Reaction Score
Hmm, if its her decision to leave the team, why is she still on scholarship?

That's up to the coach, is it not?

Maybe she discussed it with Tara who agreed to keep her on scholarship?

Reaction Score
If this is due to concern about concussions or any other physical issue related to her ability to play, most universities will find a way to pay for the rest of the player's college degree. If the team has an available scholly they will just renew it, of they don't they will find another source for the scholarship.

It's actually even simpler than that. If an athlete can no longer play due to injury, then they can continue to get the same athletic scholarship - but it no longer counts against the scholarship limit.

Reaction Score

Even if a school is need-blind, they normally offer athletic scholarships that require participation in a sport. If the athlete decides to stop playing, the athletic scholarship would be yanked and the athlete would then apply for need-based aid, which normally would be less generous than an athletic scholarship.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I have heard that it is health related so it could be another Jamie Carey situation. Concussions are dangerous and shouldn't be messed with if that's the reason.

Whatever it is I wish nothing for the best for the young lady in all she chooses to do in life.

Reaction Score
Even if a school is need-blind, they normally offer athletic scholarships that require participation in a sport. If the athlete decides to stop playing, the athletic scholarship would be yanked and the athlete would then apply for need-based aid, which normally would be less generous than an athletic scholarship.
Are you sure of this? That would be interesting, because my understanding is that it's not true of the Ivies, which is why I qualified that it may well "vary" as Stanford and Duke belong to different types of athletic conferences. I'm pretty confident it's also true for what are called the national colleges, such as Amherst, Williams, etc. but they're not D-1, of course. The Ivies, if I understand correctly, don't give performance-specific scholarships, as all scholarships are simply need blind and independent of future participation. But that might be old or incorrect information.

Reaction Score
Are you sure of this? That would be interesting, because my understanding is that it's not true of the Ivies, which is why I qualified that it may well "vary" as Stanford and Duke belong to different types of athletic conferences. I'm pretty confident it's also true for what are called the national colleges, such as Amherst, Williams, etc. but they're not D-1, of course. The Ivies, if I understand correctly, don't give performance-specific scholarships, as all scholarships are simply need blind and independent of future participation. But that might be old or incorrect information.

You are correct that it's not true for the Ivy's - who don't allow any athletic scholarships (or other merit scholarships). But it is true for every other D1 school, including those that are need-blind.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
I thought she was done for good... Now she is transferring to ND.... I am completely lost. I thought she was ending her college career, not transferring. That certainly changes the PG situation for Notre Dame next year. What a turn of events!

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score

That was gift wasn't it! Man that changes things for next year. She will be eligible right away right? She only has 1 year but that's all the staff needs right to get another one in there.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Who was the projected PG for Notre Dame before this transfer? Wasn't it Patberg?

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Who was the projected PG for Notre Dame before this transfer? Wasn't it Patberg?

Yes, Patberg, who, of course, has barely played at all so far due to injury and illness. Hopefully, she will be healthy and can split time with Thompson next year before taking the reins the year after.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom