Liked playing with each other to love playing with each other -Jalen | The Boneyard

Liked playing with each other to love playing with each other -Jalen

Reaction Score
“I feel like now, we love playing with each other. Before, we liked playing with each other, but now, we love playing with each other and playing for each other.” Jalen Adams

Borges: smiles abound as UConn rolls over Temple

You can see the team chemistry continue to improve and it shows with their play on the court. This is due to the brilliance and love from none other than our leader, our coach KO.

2 key injuries to start the season, 4 game losing streak, and the loss of a coveted recruit, had the team on the brink of a historically disastrous season but KO brought the team together, rallied the troops, pushed them and loved them, and now has them playing as a group, as one team, and not as 8 individuals on a team.

He is a fantastic recruiter. He is a great X & O's coach (back to back games where he had a perfect game plan to eliminate two good teams' best players and strengths). Lastly, and just as important, he is a great loving coach who can motivate the team to play together and for one another in even the darkest of times.

Blessed to have KO as our coach! Love how the team is responding and buying in to what he is preaching!

Reaction Score
I am glad for all the positives of the last couple games. Individual improvements, reductions in clueless plays, better shooting, offensive movement with more purpose, ...

I do have to say though, when Brimah blocks a shot into the stands or all the way to Hilltop, the other team gets the ball. That may generate psychological excitement, but so often that second chance results in points for the opponent and gets us nowhere. I wish he would direct some of these authoritative blocks to a teammate, or at least generate a 50/50 ball directed far away from the basket. If he can slam it into the stands why can't he slam it someplace potentially productive. Are they instructing him to slam it out? The comments suggest the players are totally revved up with blocks into the stands. Bill Russell would wince, (not confusing Amida with Russell).

Reaction Score
Well said. Can't stand the negative nancies on the Boneyard who jump on losses with stupid complaints.
They're not stupid complaints when UConn is playing with fire every conference tourney. This will be three years in a row where they either need to pick up 1-2 signature wins in the AAC tourney, or they have to run the table in those do-or-die games.

There are legitimate reasons for why they've underachieved in all three seasons (youth, turnover, injuries, etc.), and we don't need to beat that dead horse again. But at some point, it would be nice to get back to having quality regular seasons in addition to the late tourney runs.

Reaction Score
They're not stupid complaints when UConn is playing with fire every conference tourney. This will be three years in a row where they either need to pick up 1-2 signature wins in the AAC tourney, or they have to run the table in those do-or-die games.

There are legitimate reasons for why they've underachieved in all three seasons (youth, turnover, injuries, etc.), and we don't need to beat that dead horse again. But at some point, it would be nice to get back to having quality regular seasons in addition to the late tourney runs.

Right. We were 5-9 seven days ago. How could we possibly find things to complain about?? :confused:

I'm as happy as anyone with how we've played the last two games. But people act like the season is redeemed and any poster who voiced complaints over the last few weeks is full of it.

People on here are too quick to panic and overreact to losses. But we are just as likely to do the same after wins.

Were still 7-9 and in 7th place in the AAC.

Reaction Score
I am glad for all the positives of the last couple games. Individual improvements, reductions in clueless plays, better shooting, offensive movement with more purpose, ...

I do have to say though, when Brimah blocks a shot into the stands or all the way to Hilltop, the other team gets the ball. That may generate psychological excitement, but so often that second chance results in points for the opponent and gets us nowhere. I wish he would direct some of these authoritative blocks to a teammate, or at least generate a 50/50 ball directed far away from the basket. If he can slam it into the stands why can't he slam it someplace potentially productive. Are they instructing him to slam it out? The comments suggest the players are totally revved up with blocks into the stands. Bill Russell would wince, (not confusing Amida with Russell).
That's a Myopic view
The block will effect ur opponents future confidence regardless of the immediate result
Once they become hesitant they are in big trouble

pj

Reaction Score
People on here are too quick to panic and overreact to losses. But we are just as likely to do the same after wins.

What does the history of UConn basketball teach, except that an enthusiastic response to wins is fully justified, while a downbeat response to losses is going to be proven shortsighted?

Have some faith in Ollie et al. They are winners. Winners lose from time to time, but the losing doesn't last. The winning endures.

Reaction Score
I'm sure my reaction to the last two games isn't typical. I feel great about our coaches and our guys. Coming into the season we were so over rated, with some Not Ready For The NBA seniors, a slew of untested High School boys, and a transfer who underachieved before sitting out last year. Expectations were very high....expectations on the board were ridiculous. Three guys went down during the most critical phase of team development and the remaining guys were ripped apart here,even when we had two combo guards for a back court and only one small foreword...and a concussed guy who is still learning to run the point.

The season was over....

... except for our coaches and the young men who pulled together and built a team. The last two games showed me an extraordinary effort resulting from their ability to rise above Brutal Abject Failure to destroy two solid opponents.

We have a point guard! He knows he can score 30 in a half...but he doesn't...he leads.
We have a Power Forward who knows what to do with the ball when he gets it...and he gets it.
We have a two guard who knows that he doesn't have to get it done all by himself, a Center who knows he won't be ignored on the offensive end and takes pride in blocking shots and rebounding....and we have freshman 3 who isn't a stationary 3 point shooter, he rebounds, he drives, he fakes, and now he makes shots.

....and the supporting guys have come along too....all are more comfortable and more effective.

Regardless of how it goes from here I am as proud of this teams' effort to become a team as I have been of any other UConn team under our last four coaches.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I'm sure my reaction to the last two games isn't typical. I feel great about our coaches and our guys. Coming into the season we were so over rated, with some Not Ready For The NBA seniors, a slew of untested High School boys, and a transfer who underachieved before sitting out last year. Expectations were very high....expectations on the board were ridiculous. Three guys went down during the most critical phase of team development and the remaining guys were ripped apart here,even when we had two combo guards for a back court and only one small foreword...and a concussed guy who is still learning to run the point.

The season was over....

... except for our coaches and the young men who pulled together and built a team. The last two games showed me an extraordinary effort resulting from their ability to rise above Brutal Abject Failure to destroy two solid opponents.

We have a point guard! He knows he can score 30 in a half...but he doesn't...he leads.
We have a Power Forward who knows what to do with the ball when he gets it...and he gets it.
We have a two guard who knows that he doesn't have to get it done all by himself, a Center who knows he won't be ignored on the offensive end and takes pride in blocking shots and rebounding....and we have freshman 3 who isn't a stationary 3 point shooter, he rebounds, he drives, he fakes, and now he makes shots.

....and the supporting guys have come along too....all are more comfortable and more effective.

Regardless of how it goes from here I am as proud of this teams' effort to become a team as I have been of any other UConn team under our last four coaches.
1o likes but could only click it once.

ctchamps

Reaction Score

Complaining about the unfairness of the apr and its impact - reasonable.
Complaining bad recruiting is on KO without putting any weight to the apr - unreasonable.

Recognizing kids who started playing bb in their teens are at a disadvantage relative to kids who held a bb in the cradle - reasonable.
Insisting kids who are new to the game play to some imaginary level of a fan - unreasonable.

Recognizing it could take many games playing together before things gel - reasonable.
Insisting on that happening immediately - unreasonable.

Recognizing that two starters going down before any gelling would make things worse - reasonable.
Insisting that KO can't coach with all of the above and should be replaced - unreasonable.

Last edited:

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score

Sometimes he could try to make more an effort, but honestly this thought has prevailed about many centers thru the years, and if you're exceptionally elite, you can sometimes.

But its not easy to time and perfectly block a shot, so then adding a millisecond ability to redirect is asking a lot for most normal mortals.

Reaction Score
blocking it into the stands is rad. would you be disappointed by a player disrupting a pass? even if doesn't end with a steal, or if the ball goes out of bounds and back to the opponent, it's momentum for you and momentum against the other team. a block is even more pertinent, because he is potentially taking two points off the board.

i dunno. i also just really like brimah.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
He blocked a lot of shots to his team mates this game. You could see with each block he was getting more and more amped which led to him to go ADD. Or he heard Athletic Director Dave got an OC that may help the football program.

Anyways glad KO pulled AB after the mistakes. Also AB was out at the end of the game because Dunphy figured out how to neutralize his blocking. KO coached this one well and did so with limited bodies.

Reaction Score

Spot on.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Right. We were 5-9 seven days ago. How could we possibly find things to complain about?? :confused:

I'm as happy as anyone with how we've played the last two games. But people act like the season is redeemed and any poster who voiced complaints over the last few weeks is full of it.

I too love the way we've played the last two games, I hope that continues. We've looked better in every aspect, even executed a couple of bunnies out of time outs.

But to suggest the criticism of being a mediocre team in a mediocre conference is somehow totally unfounded, well let's just say that's significantly more inaccurate than any complaint could have been

I hope we can jell like UConn teams have traditionally jelled over the decades, but we have a long way to go. Baby steps people, baby steps

C

chiller99.5

Facey has a nose for the ball thats extrordinary, on a lot of Brimahs missed block attempts you can see Kentan protecting the hoop from the put back and offensive rebounds

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom