Like An Intricate Pass Play, Recruiting At UConn Needs To Be A Well-Executed Plan (M. Anthony) | The Boneyard

Like An Intricate Pass Play, Recruiting At UConn Needs To Be A Well-Executed Plan (M. Anthony)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Nce breakdown of who's geography is who's:

Like An Intricate Pass Play, Recruiting At UConn Needs To Be A Well-Executed Plan

>>UConn sets a target number for players to sign — 21 for the 2017 class. Two players — quarterback Jordan McAfee of Everett, Mass., and defensive end/tight end Rob Saulin of Pennsville, N.J. — have already given oral commitments. More will commit in the coming months, until UConn is at or near 21. The number can change because of unexpected departures or other personnel changes. There are also ideal numbers for the amount of players in the program at particular positions — 16 offensive linemen, for example.<<

Last edited:

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I noticed they mentioned the travel ban to North Carolina. I wonder if our brilliant governor realizes how silly he will look when he lifts that ban for our trip to Greenville late October.

Reaction Score
That might be the best offseason article we've ever seen on the HC uconn FB beat.
I came here to post the same thing. Very well written. Great article and I didn't notice any spelling/grammar mistakes...

Reaction Score
Snapshot of primary geography/responsibilities:

Kevin Wolthausen - New London County/Northern New Jersey/Cincinnati
Dave Corley - Fairfield County/New York City/Southeast New York
Mike Cummings - Harford County/Massachusetts/Upper New England/Canada
Vincent Brown - Tolland County/Southern New Jersey/Atlanta/South Florida
Erik Campbell - Litchfield County/Upstate New York/Dallas
Josh Reardon - Prep Schools/Pennsylvania/Chicago
Wayne Lineburg - New Haven County/Baltimore/Delaware/Charlotte/QB's
Frank Verducci - Windham County/Orlando/West Florida/Offensive Recruits
Anthony Poindexter - Middlesex County/Washington, D.C/Virginia/Defensive Recruits

Reaction Score
Very interesting that the recruiting budgets for women's basketball and football are so close. That's problematic and hopefully something that your new AD, coming from Auburn, will change ASAP. I'm not advocating cutting the basketball budget, but they have to find a way to beef up the football recruiting budget to remain competitive.

If you compare the needs of the two programs the budget is completely out of whack. WBB recruits on average 2-4 players a year with a great amount of talent available within 300 mi of campus. When you consider the fact that UCONN is the premier program in the country, many of the top prospects are lining up to commit with little "recruitment" being necessary. Contrast that to football which on average will recruit 15-25 players each cycle with much of that talent being further away from campus. Being a G5 Program means that the coaches have to do more research and more due diligence to find under the radar talent, as top rated kids with offers all over the country are typically heading elsewhere.

Reaction Score
WBB recruits on average 2-4 players a year with a great amount of talent available within 300 mi of campus. When you consider the fact that UCONN is the premier program in the country, many of the top prospects are lining up to commit with little "recruitment" being necessary.

No argument on need to increase the average $ spent from the recruiting budget for football for the 5 year period of 09-13 but as a point of reference -- UConn WBB overwhelmingly recruits nationally (internationally if you include Canada) not just within 300 miles of Storrs and there is quite a bit of competition for the Top 25 recruits in the country among the premier programs.

Reaction Score
Well that explains a lot.
Hahaha. A lot of good insight in the article, a lot more than has been shared before. Should be a great year of reporting. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Reaction Score
Next time someone wonders why we didn't recruit sme local kid who starred at Smallsville CT High School, please reread this. There is a lot more to finding the guys you want than knowing his home zipcodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom