Lexie Brown leaving Maryland | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Lexie Brown leaving Maryland

Status
Not open for further replies.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Why aren't they allowed anymore? Overhead?

Im not sure....... went to attach something a few weeks back... got this message

The uploaded file does not have an allowed extension. :(

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Im not sure.. went to attach something a few weeks back... got this message

The uploaded file does not have an allowed extension. :(
Try an image with a different extension. I usually have no problem with jpg or g i f extensions. (hunh, script won't let me post g i f without the spaces)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Try an image with a different extension. I usually have no problem with jpg or g i f extensions. (hunh, script won't let me post g i f without the spaces)
An obsessive auto editor which has made an entire field of standard extensions verboten for fear of a crude net slang.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Georgia may not be far from Maryland, but she committed to Maryland when it was in the ACC, and it's at least possible that conference realignment played a factor in her decision to transfer:
"Brown is extremely close with her family, and the logistical challenges for her mother and siblings to attend games grew all the more complicated last season when Maryland joined the Big Ten. During her freshman year, the Terrapins were in their final season as a member of the ACC, where Maryland’s road games often were within driving distance for Brown’s relatives."
That's from a Washington Post item from today.

The Post story mentioned "rising senior" Chloe Pavlech.
What a joke !
She was the most forgotten player on the squad last season.

Reaction Score
The Post story mentioned "rising senior" Chloe Pavlech.
What a joke !
She was the most forgotten player on the squad last season.
I think you're misinterpreting the use here of "rising." In this case, "rising senior" simply means she's finished her junior season and will be a senior next year. It has nothing to do with how well (or not) the player has been performing or is expected to perform. "Rising senior," "rising junior," and so on are commonly used as shorthand in the off-season to avoid having to say, "Chloe Pavlech, who will be a senior next season..."

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I think you're misinterpreting the use here of "rising." In this case, "rising senior" simply means she's finished her junior season and will be a senior next year. It has nothing to do with how well (or not) the player has been performing or is expected to perform. "Rising senior," "rising junior," and so on are commonly used as shorthand in the off-season to avoid having to say, "Chloe Pavlech, who will be a senior next season..."

Sorry, don't agree
Forgotten senior, abandoned senior, ignored senior would be a more apt description.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Sorry, don't agree
Forgotten senior, abandoned senior, ignored senior would be a more apt description.
umm you're out to lunch here. "Rising" is used to describe their class for the upcoming year. Has nothing to do with their importance to the team or playing ability.

I personally kind if find it a stupid word, but it seems to be what people (writers) are using now.

HGN

Reaction Score
Not sure how Tennessee taking one transfer since 1994 is a bandwagon, but I digress...

It wouldn't surprise me to see both her and Davis end up at Georgia.
University of Georgia is my guess for Brown and Davis as well. They will both have 2 full seasons together.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
umm you're out to lunch here. "Rising" is used to describe their class for the upcoming year. Has nothing to do with their importance to the team or playing ability.

I personally kind if find it a stupid word, but it seems to be what people (writers) are using now.

Love to see some other examples of end-of -the bench players who are called "rising."

Reaction Score
Ok im confused with her decision. She wants to play somewhere thats going to give her a chance to go back and play in the final four. Well Lexi you took Maryland there two years in a row. So i doubt Georgia is the school for her

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
Love to see some other examples of end-of -the bench players who are called "rising."

Okay, you asked. Here are two. Melissa Miller averaged 8.9 minutes and 3 points a game at Merrimack. She's described as a "rising senior":

Rising Senior

"Rising sophomore" Taylor Brown averaged 4 points at Georgetown:

Rising Sophomore

There are hundreds of other examples. As others have noted, it's a commonly used phrase and simply denotes a player's upcoming year at college. It has nothing whatsoever to do with quality of play.

Reaction Score
My oh my, although transfers have been taking place since be beginning of WCB, as stated earlier by other readers, it appeared that the majority of those transferring were players who were non-starters who just wanted more playing time, weren't happy with the program or truly wanted to be closer to home. But in the past few years it now appears that players who get plenty of playing time and are considered star players on their respective teams are leaving their programs. I know that UCONN has had several transfers, but besides MS Glenney, MS Sherman and MS Walker, it seemed that most often of these players left because of the lack of time on the court. If the media can be believed, a lot of these woman remained in contact with their respective teammates long after they left the program. l don't count EDD transfer in this context as she only remained on campus for one night and never even attended a formal team practice. I imagine these recent transfers and the thought of having one of your stars leaving the program are adding additional pressure on the coaching staffs. When attending the woman's games in Florida last Thanksgiving, my wife and I were riding in the elevator with the coaching staff of the men's Green Bay Team. The head coach saw us in our UCONN apparel and without us saying a word, he commented about how much he respected Geno, our style of "team" play and the overall consistence of the program over the last 30 years. As they were getting ready to exit the elevator, I wished him good luck in his upcoming game. He responded "my lively hood depends on 18 to 22 year old college kids, what kind of pressure could that add to my life." By the way, Green Bay won the men's portion of the tournament. I for one hope that this isn't the future of the woman's game. As a UCONN fan I invest in every player on our team and still take most of the transfers personal. I can't imagine how I would feel if Kelly F, Rebecca L, Syetlana A, Sue B, Diana T, Tina C, Maya M, Breanna S, KML, Moriah J, Morgan T, Bria H, Stefanie D, Tiffany H, Kiah S, Renee M, Mel T, Kalana G, Shea R, Asjha J, Swin C, Kelly S, Maria C, Tamika W, Kara W, Jen R, Jessica M, Kia N, Gabby W, Saniya C, Barbara T, Ketia S, Jamelle E, Nykesha S, Kerry B, Ann S, Meghan P, Amy D, Carla B, Stacy H, Rita W, Paige S, Pam W, Morgan V, Stacy M, Caroline D, Ashley B, Ashley V, Polly P, Tierney L or any of our other "teammates" had left without sharing their entire four years with us. They aren't all stars or starters and some had limited playing time, but they were all CHAMPIONS. Let the season begin.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
"Closer to home" always strikes me as a cop out - a nice convenient cover for whatever the real reason is, especially in the age of skype, facetime, twitter, etc. etc.

In some cases yes....... but not in all. You figure when Brown signed with Maryland.... 9 of the conference schools were within reasonable driving distance from her family. I dont care how much you like to drive.... Iowa City, Lincoln, Minneapolis, Madison, East Lansing...et al ... arent within reasonable driving distance of Atlanta Metro.

Ive heard the term "rising" in that context since the 1980s....... perhaps its new to some of the posters on this board ?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Ive heard the term "rising" in that context since the 1980s.. perhaps its new to some of the posters on this board ?
I hadn't heard it til the last couple years. Still find it kind of a stupid use of the word no matter how long it's been around.

Reaction Score
In some cases yes.. but not in all. You figure when Brown signed with Maryland.... 9 of the conference schools were within reasonable driving distance from her family. I dont care how much you like to drive.... Iowa City, Lincoln, Minneapolis, Madison, East Lansing...et al ... arent within reasonable driving distance of Atlanta Metro.

I seriously doubt the Brown family drives to most of Lexie's games. It is over a 10 hour drive each way way to a MD home game. College Park MD was over 600 miles from Atlanta when she signed, and the notion that the family drives to every game is absurd.

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Really? You're questioning me? WTH?
Im-Kinda-a-Big-Deal.jpg

I was trying to be nice. I'll think twice next time I have to correct you're posts.

Okay, you asked. Here are two. Melissa Miller averaged 8.9 minutes and 3 points a game at Merrimack. She's described as a "rising senior":

Rising Senior

"Rising sophomore" Taylor Brown averaged 4 points at Georgetown:

Rising Sophomore

There are hundreds of other examples. As others have noted, it's a commonly used phrase and simply denotes a player's upcoming year at college. It has nothing whatsoever to do with quality of play.
Thanks, rbny1. Saved me the time.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I seriously doubt the Brown family traveled to most of Lexie's games. It would have been over 10 hours each way for a MD home game. Maryland was 600 miles from home when she signed, and the notion that that the family has to drive to every game is absurd.

Ok.... well at least 7 of the ACC schools were within reasonable driving of Atlanta :cool: More than the Big10. Its a moot point now......... hope she finds a good situation for her...... she's a heck of a player.

Reaction Score
Ok.... well at least 7 of the ACC schools were within reasonable driving of Atlanta :cool: More than the Big10. Its a moot point now.... hope she finds a good situation for her. she's a heck of a player.

it is not a moot point, it is a bogus excuse for transferring. Maryland plays 15 to 20 home games, none of them are a reasonable distance from Atlanta.

Reaction Score
In some cases yes.. but not in all. You figure when Brown signed with Maryland.... 9 of the conference schools were within reasonable driving distance from her family. I dont care how much you like to drive.... Iowa City, Lincoln, Minneapolis, Madison, East Lansing...et al ... arent within reasonable driving distance of Atlanta Metro.

I'm not sure exactly when she signed with Maryland, but whatever the date may have been, it was well known at that time, if not official yet, that Maryland was going to be leaving the ACC and going to the B1G. The official announcement came on Nov 20, 2012 with Lexi coming in for the fall of 2013. So she knew that her opportunity to play teams in the south was for a just brief period. Additionally, as someone mentioned earlier, UM is a 10 hour drive from her home.... a very long distance for a car ride to go see her play a game. So factoring those two items in together, it seems clear that she was aware there were going to be very few chances for her family and friends to see her play in person. Lastly, in her UM bio, they have some remarks she made about why she was coming to UM. It says she verbally commited early on without seriously considering any other schools. that doesn't sound like someone who is concerned about the distance factor. Of the other reasons mentioned, none talk about family being able to watch her play games. Many times, when that's important to a player, it's one of the first things they mention as to reasons for selecting that school. It may take some time to come out, but I'm in the camp that thinks there is something else that caused her to want out of College Park.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I'm not sure exactly when she signed with Maryland, but whatever the date may have been, it was well known at that time, if not official yet, that Maryland was going to be leaving the ACC and going to the B1G. The official announcement came on Nov 20, 2012 with Lexi coming in for the fall of 2013. So she knew that her opportunity to play teams in the south was for a just brief period. Additionally, as someone mentioned earlier, UM is a 10 hour drive from her home.... a very long distance for a car ride to go see her play a game. So factoring those two items in together, it seems clear that she was aware there were going to be very few chances for her family and friends to see her play in person. Lastly, in her UM bio, they have some remarks she made about why she was coming to UM. It says she verbally commited early on without seriously considering any other schools. that doesn't sound like someone who is concerned about the distance factor. Of the other reasons mentioned, none talk about family being able to watch her play games. Many times, when that's important to a player, it's one of the first things they mention as to reasons for selecting that school. It may take some time to come out, but I'm in the camp that thinks there is something else that caused her to want out of College Park.
I shall encamp with you. In separate tents, though.

Reaction Score
Could there be a race between Davis and Brown to see who can get to USCe first ?
Could they form a dynamic back court at Georgia. Was Andy Landers (whose career suggest he's not) any reason why all these kids left the state in the past few years. Diamond Cooper Brown and Davis maybe a small rotation (see Baylor) but add a good post player and they would win a few games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom