Let's list our assets proving were a P5 school. | The Boneyard

Let's list our assets proving were a P5 school.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Let's put in one thread all of our advantages and great qualities that show we really are a P5 school. I'll get it started. Please add to it whatever you can think of.

1) We're a state flagship/land grant/sea grant/space grant school.
2) We're ranked #57 in the U.S. News and World Report list of national schools. We're also the #25 FBS school and the #14 public FBS school according to that list. #57 would place us #2 in the Big 12, only behind the University of Texas at #52.
3) We would rank #3 in the Big 12 in the number of student applications received, trailing only Texas and Baylor.
4) We have a $72 million athletic budget, which is #1 (by a wide margin) over all G5 schools and higher than many P5 schools.
5) We sponsor the most teams in the AAC, and more than many of the P5 schools.
6) We have four national championships in men's basketball.
7) We have eleven national championships in women's basketball.
8) We're the only school to win the men's & women's basketball championship in the same year, and we've done it twice.
9) We've won three men's soccer national championships.
10) Our men's soccer program is consistently among the national leaders in attendance.
11) Our women's soccer team was national runner-up four times.
12) We've won four national championships in field hockey.
13) Our baseball team has been in the NCAA post-season playoffs five times, advanced to the Super Regionals in 2011, and is the current AAC champion.
14) Our men's ice hockey team competes in Hockey East, the top hockey conference in the NCAA.
15) We were one of only three FBS schools to send our football, baseball, men's bb, and women's bb teams to the postseason in 2015-16.
16) Our Director's Cup rank of #57 is between Baylor (#56) and Vanderbilt (#58).
17) We are the dominant college sports brand between Boston and New York City, an area with an approximate population of 20-25 million.
18) Our primary TV market (Hartford-New Haven) is ranked #30. And a large portion of our state lies within the NYC metropolitan area which is the nation's #1 TV market.
19) At the formation of the AAC, it was said by TV executives that UConn and Houston were the top two TV draws in the conference.
20) We are ranked #1 among the states in per capita personal income according to the Information Please almanac (2014).
21) By either significant measure (academic or athletic), UConn's trend has been significantly up over the last 30 years. The good people of Connecticut have been very supportive.

Phew. That took two hours to put together. Please comment, correct, and add whatever you want.

After all that, a typo in the title and I don't think it can be corrected.

Last edited:

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
All good stuff. Unfortunately doubt the Big12 cares much about soccer, field hockey and hockey as they don't sponsor said sports. However it's good to point out we are one of the most successful overall athletic programs across the whole NCAA.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Nice job. I'd add that we've been co-champions of the OBE twice in football.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Our baseball team has been to the CWS five times. We've been to the NCAA baseball playoffs considerably more than five times.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Nice job. I'd add that we've been co-champions of the OBE twice in football.

Thanks. I forgot what realignment is about ... football.

And I forgot to add we have one of the largest campuses in the country with over 4,400 acres. The only two schools that cover more land (that I know of) are Ohio State and Texas A&M. We have room for expansion. And I forgot the Dairy Bar.

Last edited:

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Our baseball team has been to the CWS five times. We've been to the NCAA baseball playoffs considerably more than five times.

Thanks. I didn't know that.

We have one of the top baseball programs in the Northeast.

Reaction Score
As much as we don't want this to be about football, it's also worth pointing out that we've also been to a BCS bowl game this decade, which is more than can be said of most of the P5 and many other G5 suitors.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
UConn's endowment has grown from $288m in 2011 to $436m in 2016.

I'd be shocked if anybody in the mix for expansion came close to that, percentage-wise.

Reaction Score
Thanks. I forgot what realignment is about ... football.

And I forgot to add we have one of the largest campuses in the country with over 4,400 acres. The only two schools that cover more land (that I know of) are Ohio State and Texas A&M. We have room for expansion. And I forgot the Dairy Bar.

13th largest campus by acreage

Reaction Score
sadly uconn is the senior on a championship contending basketball team. No matter how good that senior is, some media hack will continue to make the point ad nauseum "if he were that good, he wouldn't be a senior on this team, he'd have been drafted last season'...

"If uconn had value, the acc would have taken them."
"Outside of geography, uconn has the right metrics"
"Uconn football stinks. Look at the last five seasons"

Reaction Score
Let's put in one thread all of our advantages and great qualities that show we really are a P5 school. I'll get it started. Please add to it whatever you can think of.

1) We're a state flagship/land grant/sea grant/space grant school.
2) We're ranked #57 in the U.S. News and World Report list of national schools. We're also the #25 FBS school and the #14 public FBS school according to that list. #57 would place us #2 in the Big 12, only behind the University of Texas at #52.
3) We would rank #3 in the Big 12 in the number of student applications received, trailing only Texas and Baylor.
4) We have a $72 million athletic budget, which is #1 (by a wide margin) over all G5 schools and higher than many P5 schools.
5) We sponsor the most teams in the AAC, and more than many of the P5 schools.
6) We have four national championships in men's basketball.
7) We have eleven national championships in women's basketball.
8) We're the only school to win the men's & women's basketball championship in the same year, and we've done it twice.
9) We've won three men's soccer national championships.
10) Our men's soccer program is consistently among the national leaders in attendance.
11) Our women's soccer team was national runner-up four times.
12) We've won four national championships in field hockey.
13) Our baseball team has been in the NCAA post-season playoffs five times, advanced to the Super Regionals in 2011, and is the current AAC champion.
14) Our men's ice hockey team competes in Hockey East, the top hockey conference in the NCAA.
15) We were one of only three FBS schools to send our football, baseball, men's bb, and women's bb teams to the postseason in 2015-16.
16) Our Director's Cup rank of #57 is between Baylor (#56) and Vanderbilt (#58).
17) We are the dominant college sports brand between Boston and New York City, an area with an approximate population of 20-25 million.
18) Our primary TV market (Hartford-New Haven) is ranked #30. And a large portion of our state lies within the NYC metropolitan area which is the nation's #1 TV market.
19) At the formation of the AAC, it was said by TV executives that UConn and Houston were the top two TV draws in the conference.
20) We are ranked #1 among the states in per capita personal income according to the Information Please almanac (2014).
21) By either significant measure (academic or athletic), UConn's trend has been significantly up over the last 30 years. The good people of Connecticut have been very supportive.

Phew. That took two hours to put together. Please comment, correct, and add whatever you want.

After all that, a typo in the title and I don't think it can be corrected.
The number of NFL players produced and
number of number one picks produced in multiple sports

Last edited:

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score

Thanks. Many fans would be shocked to see how many P5 schools are behind us in producing NFL players.

Reaction Score
sadly uconn is the senior on a championship contending basketball team. No matter how good that senior is, some media hack will continue to make the point ad nauseum "if he were that good, he wouldn't be a senior on this team, he'd have been drafted last season'...

Or that the new-on-the-scene freshman (e.g. Houston) has more "upside potential".

Reaction Score
As much as we don't want this to be about football, it's also worth pointing out that we've also been to a BCS bowl game this decade, which is more than can be said of most of the P5 and many other G5 suitors.
Our freshman laden football team beat a top 10 team last year

Reaction Score
I think a $72M AD budget speaks volumes... And that is without a TV Network subsidy.
Yes, there is a high subsidy from the student body, but doesn't that suggest support as well?

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score

15 UConn student-athlete were selected in the first round of a professional sports draft since 2014 in the NBA, NFL, WNBA, NHL, Major League Baseball, MLS and Canadian Football League. The 15 combined selections in these seven leagues is the most combined of any school in the country. Louisville is second with 11, Duke has 10 and Kentucky and Notre Dame have nine each.
I don't have the NFL numbers, but it's on this site somewhere.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Yes, but touting our numbers of pro league draft selections can't be an element of the selection process, at least not according to the NCAA. According to them, they're in the education business, not the minor league for pro sports business. Their job is to educate student-athletes (cough, cough).

"I used to be unable to spell the word 'hypocrite', but now I am one!" - Mark Emmert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom