Let's get smart..... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Let's get smart.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If you thought it was an undeniably dumb idea , why did you respond? It was simply a thought , other schools have done it (see West Virginia) why not us.

Aside from the fact that he wouldn't do it, let's look at the math.

Diaco buyout in Jan 2017 is 3.4. Salary is 1.8.
Next year, Diaco buyout is 1.7, a savings of 1.7.

Now Moorhead would probably command at least $2m to come here. A normal OC is more like $300k. So that's a cost of $1.7m. The math doesn't work.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I love threads that start of by saying we should do something smart and then offer up an undeniably dumb idea.

Moorhead is not coming here to be OC. We'd be lucky if he would actually agree to come here as a head coach, much less an OC...

Yes because being an OC is better than a head coach at a 1-A program. You can try to kill UConn all you like but it is still a better job than an assistant

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
In defense of the OP, yes having probably one of the hottest HC candidates this offseason come here to lead the worst offense in the nation would be "smart"

Reaction Score
Even if Diaco was fired Moorehead isn't coming here. He will get head coaching offers at much better schools, P5 and non P5. Just a reality as to where we are right now.

Reaction Score
As a PSU Guy I realize why Moorhead is a popular candidate. He can coach offense at a high level and the players love him. That said he will likely remain for another year or two in State College and then weigh his options for HC Positions should he desire to leave at that time. I'm not saying he wouldn't pick Uconn, just that there may be other jobs available he would weigh against it.

As for the Huskies I think the fans need to expand their coaching search parameters beyond persons with former ties to the program. I have read multiple threads on this board regarding possible replacements for Diaco and the following names inevitably come up. Moorhead, Weist, Edsall, Orlando, Brown, and even Skip Holtz. There are tons of great assistants and head coaches at The FCS, G5 and P5 Level that could be a fit here. Having already been there shouldn't be a prerequisite to future employment.

Reaction Score
Let's get smart and hire Joe Moorhead right now as "offensive coordinater". pay him what we pay Idiaco and wait for the buyout to drop in 2018. We should also strip him of any decision making and just make him a lame duck.

Why on earth would we get smart?

Reaction Score
Because then what happens if we somehow go 7-5 or 6-6 and make a bowl? We now are in the position of setting a precedent of firing coaches after four years who make bowls in two of those first four years.

You're actually concerned about this happening.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Yes because being an OC is better than a head coach at a 1-A program. You can try to kill UConn all you like but it is still a better job than an assistant

I don't think you understood anything I typed.

First, I typed that he would not be here as an OC. I hope you agree with that, otherwise I will question your sanity.

Second, I said we would be lucky to have him as a head coach. He's going to command a lot of offers and a lot of money, that's for sure. Especially after what his offense is doing tonight.

Do you disagree with any of that?!? Really? If you think I'm dogging my university, you are mistaken. But is my university willing to pony up the money to get rid of fish oil and pay Moorhead the money he would command on the market? Hopefully, I'm pleasantly surprised on January 2nd...

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score
Let's get smart and hire Joe Moorhead right now as "offensive coordinater". pay him what we pay Idiaco and wait for the buyout to drop in 2018. We should also strip him of any decision making and just make him a lame duck.

@temery Delete your website. This place has jumped the shark

Reaction Score
You're actually concerned about this happening.
No, but did anyone at this time last year think we'd be 3-9 and score 0 points for 16 straight quarters? Theoretically, we could go 6-6 and hiring a "coach-in-waiting" as a coordinator makes the situation completely untenable if that happens. Do you fire Diaco when he goes to a bowl? Now you've set a precedent that you fire coaches at UConn who make bowls, that's bad. Do you keep Diaco on and tell Moorhead he has to continue being the "coach-in-waiting?" Either fire Diaco now or keep him and hire someone later when you do fire him. Coach in waiting is a ridiculous idea.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
@temery Delete your website. This place has jumped the shark

I hope so. That was a highly rated episode of Happy Days, and they went on to years of continued success.

Last edited:

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I would suggest spending time thinking about options that are logical and possible.
The only thing I can come up with is when the professor who's working on the time machine finally gets it done we hire Matt While to replace Edsall.

Reaction Score
You do know they designate coaches as "head coach in waiting" when you have a coach about to retire. They don't designate a head coach in waiting for a coach about to be fired.

This whole concept of getting Moorhead at UConn as an OC is just silly and won't happen. Saying he would be head coach in waiting doesn't help your case...and is even sillier. I would suggest spending time thinking about options that are logical and possible.

It would e better to stick a pin into him/her (from afar, of course) so all that hot air/hate can explode. But as he said- why respond if you thought he was being silly. His/her message was for the like-minded. Reading the post tells me that this is not just/only about firing Diaco- it's about humiliation. I fear that a call is just around the corner to have Diaco tied up at the Rent. so that the student body- the willing-- can go and spit on the man/the false prophet.

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score
tumblr_malxtoaNcY1qzktb0.jpg

From a Community episode. Now that's a great show.

I hope so. That was a highly rated episode of Happy Days, and they went on to years of continued success.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
I love threads that start of by saying we should do something smart and then offer up an undeniably dumb idea.

Moorhead is not coming here to be OC. We'd be lucky if he would actually agree to come here as a head coach, much less an OC...
I'm starting to think that when Diaco gets the ( Joe Pesci scene from Goodfella's) axe no one will want to come here

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I'm starting to think that when Diaco gets the ( Joe Pesci scene from Goodfella's) axe no one will want to come here

Well, we can always offer a lot of cocaine, like Ray Liotta's character...or like Louisville... :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom