Let's get smart..... | The Boneyard

Let's get smart.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Let's get smart and hire Joe Moorhead right now as "offensive coordinater". pay him what we pay Idiaco and wait for the buyout to drop in 2018. We should also strip him of any decision making and just make him a lame duck.

Reaction Score
Let's get smart and hire Joe Moorhead right now as "offensive coordinater". pay him what we pay Idiaco and wait for the buyout to drop in 2018. We should also strip him of any decision making and just make him a lame duck.

It's already been done! Hes turned himself into a lame duck, and taken away our dignity in the process!

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Amazing how well our former assistants are doing across the country - Moorhead, Brown, Orlando, Weist...

That's a trend with a long history at UCONN. As long ago as the 1960's when we were in the small college division of the NCAA, we turned out coaches like Rick Forzano, Sam Rutigliano and Lou Holtz. They all went on to varying degrees of success in the NFL or at other schools. Kirk Ferentz, a player for us, is still going strong at Iowa, and Skip Holtz has had success at East Carolina and Louisiana Tech since his departure from Storrs.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Because of the depths that HCBD has plunged the program and the ridiculous buyout - there is very very little chance anything good will happen in next 2 years
SAD

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Let's get smart and buyout Diaco, then hire Moorhead as our Head Coach. I have MUCH more confidence in Moorhead filling out a proper FBS level staff than Bob Diaco. No question about that. Not to mention - we might actually score a friggin' touchdown or two in 2017.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Because of the depths that HCBD has plunged the program and the ridiculous buyout - there is very very little chance anything good will happen in next 2 years
SAD

Agree. If we can't find $5M, I don't see us finding $3.4M either. That ties us to Diaco until, at the earliest, 1/1/18. The tail end of next year's couching carousel, in other words. That is 3 lost years in recruiting and more time for fans to drop season tickets.

Reaction Score
Why would Moorhead leave Penn State for UConn in the same role?????

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I love threads that start of by saying we should do something smart and then offer up an undeniably dumb idea.

Moorhead is not coming here to be OC. We'd be lucky if he would actually agree to come here as a head coach, much less an OC...

Reaction Score
I love threads that start of by saying we should do something smart and then offer up an undeniably dumb idea.

Moorhead is not coming here to be OC. We'd be lucky if he would actually agree to come here as a head coach, much less an OC...
Absolutely right DAN....
All one has to do is tune in the BIG 10 channel and the platitudes and waves of gushes on Coach Moorehead makes one realize, just like your post, we would be likely to get him over a P5 offer. very sizzling hot commodity right now.... watch tonite the number of times the cameras turn to him.
ONLY WISH WHAT COULD HAVE BEEN...

Reaction Score
He's right ya know.jpg

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Head coach in waiting.
You do know they designate coaches as "head coach in waiting" when you have a coach about to retire. They don't designate a head coach in waiting for a coach about to be fired.

This whole concept of getting Moorhead at UConn as an OC is just silly and won't happen. Saying he would be head coach in waiting doesn't help your case...and is even sillier. I would suggest spending time thinking about options that are logical and possible.

Reaction Score

If you thought it was an undeniably dumb idea , why did you respond? It was simply a thought , other schools have done it (see West Virginia) why not us.

Reaction Score

My thought was actually to have Moorhead be head coach in everything but title until Diaco's buyout came down to 1.7 mil? Then boot him.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
If you thought it was an undeniably dumb idea , why did you respond? It was simply a thought , other schools have done it (see West Virginia) why not us.

First, I didn't respond to anything. I made a statement about things I love.

Second, you are asking the guy to leave a position at a top 10 team with high pay to take the equivalent position at a current train wreck. Why would a sane person do that? The only way he would come here is as the head coach immediately, and we had better be prepared to pay him if he did...

Reaction Score
My thought was actually to have Moorhead be head coach in everything but title until Diaco's buyout came down to 1.7 mil? Then boot him.
Because then what happens if we somehow go 7-5 or 6-6 and make a bowl? We now are in the position of setting a precedent of firing coaches after four years who make bowls in two of those first four years. Absurd idea. I'm totally on board with booting Diaco on 1/1/17 and making a play for Moorhead as head coach now, but this head coach in waiting thing is ridiculous.

WVU could do that with Stewart because he was an interim coach who backdoored his way into the HC position because the players wanted him, despite the administration wanting someone else. While DB didn't hire BD, the rest of the administrators here did. There was also the consideration of Stewart being a bit older and his health may have been a factor. Neither of those two things are in the realm of consideration with Diaco. Once Stewart faltered a little bit in their bowl games they were able to provide a cover for this ridiculous coach in waiting title. Don't forget it never actually materialized as Stewart resigned before the '11 season. The whole setup was heavily criticized to begin with and is not at all a model for anyone to use.

Bottom line, if you want to make a run at Moorhead, you fire Diaco and offer Joe the unequivocal HC spot right now, not some meaningless title.

Reaction Score
It all comes down to the same ole thing that has plagued UConn forever. Can any football staff recruit enough good players to turn the corner and make this program respectable? Once respectable the recruiting gets easier. Can Morehead and whatever staff he can talk into coming recruit better? Without the players your going to be calling for his head in 3 or 4 years.

Reaction Score
When we had open practices in the Edsall era I remember Joe running the show on offense. You all must remember our returning O-line complaining about how fast he was asking them to go. Putting pressure on the players to make the team better, we need more of that. Whoever approved Diaco's buyout has made it more profitable for him to get fired than to succeed. This really bothers me and I believe he is tanking our program intentionally or not. I don't buy the who would come here if we let him go after 3 years and PP after 2 1/2.

Reaction Score
It all comes down to the same ole thing that has plagued UConn forever. Can any football staff recruit enough good players to turn the corner and make this program respectable? Once respectable the recruiting gets easier. Can Morehead and whatever staff he can talk into coming recruit better? Without the players your going to be calling for his head in 3 or 4 years.
FWIW Edsall brought some pretty decent talent and was able to coach them up, I would like to think that a decent coach could find a way to use the current roster's strengths and maybe a few JUCOs and graduate tranfers and have a few decent seasons while building some depth. Not as easy as BBall. But I still think it can be done.

Reaction Score
If we need to go the juco route to get a FBS level O-line then do it. Last in the nation in offense, being patient is not going to get us out of the laughingstock cage we are stuck in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom