Let's Begin The 4 Year Discussion | The Boneyard

Let's Begin The 4 Year Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
hmmm - not all that impressive an analysis

Ditto. Excuse me for being picky, but when a writer identifies Jewell Loyd as a PG, I start to lose interest....Head bang;)

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Well, in 4 years, A'ja is likely, maybe Azura: she's certainly got the size. We have to assume there will be 3-4 very young players who will have the chance to play in 3-4 Olympics, just like Stewie, EDD, and BG.

Reaction Score
Wilson IMO is overrated. Still needs abetter foul line jumper. I dont see her playing the 4 in the WNBA. Right now maybe a 5 but I Dont see her playing before Dolson and I would be suprised if Steph made it. As for a pg Jordan Canada will be the best in the country this year.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Wilson IMO is overrated. Still needs abetter foul line jumper. I dont see her playing the 4 in the WNBA. Right now maybe a 5 but I Dont see her playing before Dolson and I would be suprised if Steph made it. As for a pg Jordan Canada will be the best in the country this year.
Sorry. Canada has yet to show me she can effectively distribute without thinking shoot first. A lot of things need to shake out before 2020, especially at the 1 and 2. I wouldn't hitch my horse to anyone just yet.

Reaction Score
Any team should start with the veterans that have been there/done that. Barring injury... from this years team I think this group would be the core players for 2020

25 Stewart
31 Moore
33 McCougtry
30 Delle Donne
29 Grinner
31 Charles
34 Fowles

Leaves 5 spots.. need guards. Sims, Diggins, Loyd, McBride, Jefferson?? Will Taurasi still be playing at 38? Vandersloot will have been in the USA Basketball system for forever... will be 31, does she finally get a senior team roster spot?

With lots of established veterans in the front court I think it will be hard for new comers (Wilson, Stevens, etc..) to make the team.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

I agree. So much upside. But her head and her heart need a lot of work along with the range of her game. She seems happy with so-so though.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I can't believe the masses above don't believe that Moriah will not be far and away the best point in the league within a year or two.

Therefore a lock for the next National team and Olympics.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Sorry. Canada has yet to show me she can effectively distribute without thinking shoot first. A lot of things need to shake out before 2020, especially at the 1 and 2. I wouldn't hitch my horse to anyone just yet.

Canada averaged 5.7 assists per game last year. By comparison, Sue Bird had less than 5 per game in her sophomore and junior years, and 5.9 in her senior year on the perhaps best WCBB team ever.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I can't believe the masses above don't believe that Moriah will not be far and away the best point in the league within a year or two.

Therefore a lock for the next National team and Olympics.

Please don't put me among them! I'm a believer. I suspect there are others among the masses. :D:oops::rolleyes:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Any team should start with the veterans that have been there/done that. Barring injury... from this years team I think this group would be the core players for 2020

25 Stewart
31 Moore
33 McCougtry
30 Delle Donne
29 Grinner
31 Charles
34 Fowles

Leaves 5 spots.. need guards. Sims, Diggins, Loyd, McBride, Jefferson?? Will Taurasi still be playing at 38? Vandersloot will have been in the USA Basketball system for forever... will be 31, does she finally get a senior team roster spot?

With lots of established veterans in the front court I think it will be hard for new comers (Wilson, Stevens, etc..) to make the team.

I bet DT has another go in 2020. My best guess at this point:

C: Griner/Fowles...no real superstars on the horizon to displace these two. Brianna Turner could fit in here, but I think she'll be more of a 4 player in the pros. The best low post center in the collegiate game might be Alaina Coates, and she is not in the same league as Griner/Fowles.

F: Charles/Stewart/Wilson/Ogwumike....Charles/Stewart should be locks if they continue to improve over time, they have been USA basketball staples. Wilson is the next staple USA player. Ogwumike could be left off again. Parker could be brought back, but I'm guessing her exclusion this go around and how big of a deal was made about it by everyone will keep her off the radar.

Wing: EDD/Moore/K. Mitchell/Loyd...EDD and Moore appear to be safe bets. Loyd is a player who is on the outside looking in, but could definitely make a roster and has the talent to fill in for Augustus. Kelsey Mitchell is a stud and I think will be an impact player in the pros from day 1, she should get a serious look. Other contenders are the up and down Diggins and Sims, as well as McBride who is one of the better shooters/playmakers, but all 3 of these players are injury prone and failed to make this year's squad. With so much experience in the frontcourt, I'm guessing the Olympic committee will choose younger players over Diggins/Sims who will be in their late 20s. McCoughtry could return, but I think she will be left off the squad in favor of younger players.

G: Jefferson/Taurasi...Taurasi is a lock if she is still playing, even if she is a shell of herself. I'm guessing she'll still be a very good player 4 years from now and will likely be a starting 2 guard. Jefferson appears to be the best young point guard in the game. Diggins/Sims could fit in here. Sloot could too, but she's never struck me as an Olympic caliber player like everyone else mentioned here does.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

25 Stewart
31 Moore
33 McCougtry
30 Delle Donne
29 Grinner
31 Charles
34 Fowles

Thanks for listing that group alongside their ages. I think Sylvia is the most vulnerable of that group, but I don't see an heir apparent. I think the others are locks at this point. That's the core of the team, but note the absence of guards.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
25 Stewart
31 Moore
33 McCougtry
30 Delle Donne
29 Grinner
31 Charles
34 Fowles
Good core group. First you have to look at who plays in 2018 in the WC's in Barcelona. I think it's possible Dee is still around and comes back for that (she may opt for the 2020 games as well). When you look at who won't be there for sure... it's only Catch. And probably Bird. Augustus, Dee, Whalen - all question marks. Of the 7 in your core group, no guards.

1's - Whalen, Jefferson, Sims, Vandersloot
2's - Dee, Augustus, Loyd, McBride, and maybe Diggins
3's - Moore, EDD, Angel, Rogers (Sugar), Powers (Ariel)
4's - Charles, Stewie, Ogwumike, Parker, Howard, Williams
5's - Griner, Fowles, Dolson, Stokes

Basically I listed the players in order of how likely it is they are chosen in 2 years in my opinion. 4 years may be a different story. In 2 years I could see a team comprised of :

Guards - Whalen, Jefferson, Taurasi, Augustus
Wings - Moore, Stewie, EDD, Angel
Posts - Charles, Griner, Fowles, Owgwumike

That's a team of 12 and a great mix of old and young. Jefferson and Ogwimike to replace Bird and Catch. Given Sue's injury, I could actually see them taking Loyd or Sims over Ogwumike for guard depth.

For the Olympics, it's a harder question - who really does leave? Not sure yet. But with Moore, Stewie, and EDD all ahead of Parker, and given Parker is not a physical player (she's finesse), I could see Ogwumike getting the nod over her, especially if she works on her mid range game over the next 2 years... The international game is VERY physical, and has gotten much more so in recent years.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I doubt Diana DEE DT D will be back. When she says each month feels like 6 that tells you what uber athletes go through to stay there. Look at here. She is whip stick lean right now and along with that comes strung so tight! It is far beyond hard to adopt the life style of the world's preeminent athletes and she is definitely one of them and one of the longest lasting. That is fine for a long distance runner, hooked on endorphins, who has no life anyway, but, as we all know, D loves life and wine. If she is back in 4 years I will be surprised, but, I will also be celebrating the fire in her belly that keeps D being D.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Canada averaged 5.7 assists per game last year. By comparison, Sue Bird had less than 5 per game in her sophomore and junior years, and 5.9 in her senior year on the perhaps best WCBB team ever.
Unfortunately she also had 3.2 turnovers per game and an A/TO ratio of 1.77 and a shooting percentage of .406/.262/.764 - not up to Sue's standards or Moriah's as a sophomore.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think the first question is who is the coach of the NT because there will be slight variations in the USA emphasis depending on the offensive and defensive strategies of the coach who is leading the team. I think obviously if Geno signs up again it would be unchanged from what has come before and if Reeve were selected there would be few noticeable differences. If Dawn were selected, there might be more changes even after working with Geno through the process. And the selection process might include some personal connections - just as Asjha and Swin might not have been selected in 2012, Mitchell or Wilson might have a slight edge in four years if Dawn is coaching.

That said - I do not see Loyd being mentioned in lists above - I think she is as likely to get serious consideration as Diggins or Sims. I see her as possibly becoming the replacement for Diana and the longer she played with Sue, the better her game will become.

Reaction Score
If Megan Walker chooses UCONN she will be in consideration, whether Geno is the coach of the 2020 USA team or isn't . Because she will have had Geno as a college coach for 3 years and He will make her the best she can be.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Unfortunately she also had 3.2 turnovers per game and an A/TO ratio of 1.77 and a shooting percentage of .406/.262/.764 - not up to Sue's standards or Moriah's as a sophomore.

I never said Jordin was better than Sue or Moriah. I was responding to someone who said she doesn't look to pass enough.

Jordin's outside shooting is probably her biggest liability at this point, but then again the same was true of Moriah when she started out. I happen to think Jordin was the second-best PG in the country last year (yes, even better than Lindsay Allen -- sorry, Muffet) and she has the potential to be great in the pros, if she is able to improve her outside shooting.

Reaction Score
Good core group. First you have to look at who plays in 2018 in the WC's in Barcelona. I think it's possible Dee is still around and comes back for that (she may opt for the 2020 games as well). When you look at who won't be there for sure... it's only Catch. And probably Bird. Augustus, Dee, Whalen - all question marks. Of the 7 in your core group, no guards.

1's - Whalen, Jefferson, Sims, Vandersloot
2's - Dee, Augustus, Loyd, McBride, and maybe Diggins
3's - Moore, EDD, Angel, Rogers (Sugar), Powers (Ariel)
4's - Charles, Stewie, Ogwumike, Parker, Howard, Williams
5's - Griner, Fowles, Dolson, Stokes

Basically I listed the players in order of how likely it is they are chosen in 2 years in my opinion. 4 years may be a different story. In 2 years I could see a team comprised of :

Guards - Whalen, Jefferson, Taurasi, Augustus
Wings - Moore, Stewie, EDD, Angel
Posts - Charles, Griner, Fowles, Owgwumike

That's a team of 12 and a great mix of old and young. Jefferson and Ogwimike to replace Bird and Catch. Given Sue's injury, I could actually see them taking Loyd or Sims over Ogwumike for guard depth.

For the Olympics, it's a harder question - who really does leave? Not sure yet. But with Moore, Stewie, and EDD all ahead of Parker, and given Parker is not a physical player (she's finesse), I could see Ogwumike getting the nod over her, especially if she works on her mid range game over the next 2 years... The international game is VERY physical, and has gotten much more so in recent years.
I think there will be more than 2 new faces in 2020.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom