Let me get this straight, Diaco balked on Kill??? | The Boneyard

Let me get this straight, Diaco balked on Kill???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That in itself is a fireable offense. The guy gave the jobs to Cummings and Verducci but didn't want THIS guy on his staff?

Is it just me, or does that smell like a guy that was worried the offense would thrive under a proven Coach and that credit would go to him rather than Diaco himself?

Reaction Score
That in itself is a fireable offense. The guy gave the jobs to Cummings and Verducci but didn't want THIS guy on his staff?

Is it just me, or does that smell like a guy that was worried the offense would thrive under a proven Coach and that credit would go to him rather than Diaco himself?

Is this a rumor or did Chief report it?

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score

Its so mind-numbingly insane that I'd believe it.

It was always a payback program for Bob. Get cushy gigs for the coaches who helped him along the way. Never a meritocracy.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Not hiring Kill killed Diaco at UCONN!!

Your bosses deliver the OC on your plate and you say no. Got give Bob credit, he is so rigid he would rather get himself fired. And over the phone!!

Reaction Score
Is this a rumor or did Chief report it?
Saw it on twitter, from a Gopher message board, but I couldn't read it because I don't have the right app. Supposedly Jacobs alluded to it though I missed it in his,article.

Reaction Score
how true is this?
It's in Jeff Jacobs' story:

When UConn announced a search for yet another new offensive coordinator at the end of the season, I wondered aloud if Diaco's ego would allow him to handle a bigger, more experienced name. Would Diaco be able to handle somebody outside his circle getting showered with credit?

A source — not Benedict — said that former Minnesota head coach Jerry Kill was on campus a few weeks back, that Kill wanted the job and Diaco wasn't interested in Kill. Benedict would not comment on this.

Benedict worked at Minnesota when Kill was head coach. He is known as a builder and offensive mind. At 55, he also could have been a mentor. Kill resigned 14 months ago at Minnesota after a number of epileptic seizures, but he has said he has gotten them under control. Last week, he signed a three-year deal as the new Rutgers offensive coordinator.

Yes, Rutgers.

UConn AD Benedict Reverses Field, Decides Diaco Has To Go

Reaction Score
It's in Jeff Jacobs' story:

When UConn announced a search for yet another new offensive coordinator at the end of the season, I wondered aloud if Diaco's ego would allow him to handle a bigger, more experienced name. Would Diaco be able to handle somebody outside his circle getting showered with credit?

A source — not Benedict — said that former Minnesota head coach Jerry Kill was on campus a few weeks back, that Kill wanted the job and Diaco wasn't interested in Kill. Benedict would not comment on this.

Benedict worked at Minnesota when Kill was head coach. He is known as a builder and offensive mind. At 55, he also could have been a mentor. Kill resigned 14 months ago at Minnesota after a number of epileptic seizures, but he has said he has gotten them under control. Last week, he signed a three-year deal as the new Rutgers offensive coordinator.

Yes, Rutgers.

UConn AD Benedict Reverses Field, Decides Diaco Has To Go
I missed that the 1st time but Lord, that's worse than I thought.

What saw hinted that Kill expressed interest to Goetz in the job. I've always said Diaco was a coaching Idiot savant without the savant part.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Kill would have been Diaco's replacement in waiting. Bob would have been correct in thinking if you are going to fire me, do it now.

The only reason for him to take on Kill is if he had no interest in being a HC again. My guess is Kill is taking aower profile job to show his health is in order before attempting a comeback. Many P5 offers would be waiting for him if he can go a few years without another health scare.

Remember this is a job for these guys. All the office politics and passive aggressive management fights are still there for them in their jobs as they are in yours.

Reaction Score
Kill would have been Diaco's replacement in waiting. Bob would have been correct in thinking if you are going to fire me, do it now.

The only reason for him to take on Kill is if he had no interest in being a HC again. My guess is Kill is taking aower profile job to show his health is in order before attempting a comeback. Many P5 offers would be waiting for him if he can go a few years without another health scare.

Remember this is a job for these guys. All the office politics and passive aggressive management fights are still there for them in their jobs as they are in yours.
How many times does this have to be said?!? Kill has ZERO interest in being HC. The man has very fragile health that cannot be cured.

Reaction Score
No young, first time head coach, coming off the year he was having, is going to hire an OC who was a successful head coach in the Big Ten. You can't give your OC the freedom he needs if you're worried about him taking your job if you get off to a slow start his first season -- it's a recipe for disaster.

You hire a head coach. You have to give him the freedom to succeed or fail his way. HCBD failed his way, and thank goodness he is gone, but he was never going to be successful doing it someone else's way.

Reaction Score
Kill wouldn't even have been a mid-season replacement. He is incapable. He is disabled to some degree.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No young, first time head coach, coming off the year he was having, is going to hire an OC who was a successful head coach in the Big Ten. You can't give your OC the freedom he needs if you're worried about him taking your job if you get off to a slow start his first season -- it's a recipe for disaster.

You hire a head coach. You have to give him the freedom to succeed or fail his way. HCBD failed his way, and thank goodness he is gone, but he was never going to be successful doing it someone else's way.

Chris Ash just did.

Reaction Score
Kill wouldn't even have been a mid-season replacement. He is incapable. Physical disabilities are a reality.
You're kinda talking out your butt here. He has had epileptic seizures which absolutely can be difficult to control which they obviously were in his case. However, once you find the right cocktail of meds you can lead a very normal life and can even get a drivers license once you've gone a while without a seizure. You keep spouting that there's no way back from that, but that's just false. Another paramedic, @huskymedic can back me on this.

Reaction Score
You're kinda talking out your butt here. He has had epileptic seizures which absolutely can be difficult to control which they obviously were in his case. However, once you find the right cocktail of meds you can lead a very normal life and can even get a drivers license once you've gone a while without a seizure. You keep spouting that there's no way back from that, but that's just false. Another paramedic, @huskymedic can back me on this.
I am aware I am talking out my butt a little, but he has deep health concerns, obviously. Cocktails of medicines? Sounds like more than I even take!

Reaction Score
Had the same exact thoughts as BL when I read this last night. No way would a type A driven guy like Diaco accept a former successful coach as his oc per anyone. Pasqualoni knew in 2013 that Weist was plan B if the season went awry as it did. Diaco must have know though that his rejection of this qualified candidate certified his walking papers. With no announcement from Benedict since the end of the season, this incident seems like smoking gun in yesterday's firing.

Reaction Score
Chris Ash just did.

Yup: The biggest winner in Jerry Kill's hiring at Rutgers? Chris Ash himself

I understand BL's point but what Ash just did is what many here thought BD needed:

>>But the biggest winner here is the head coach himself. Ash showed that he's comfortable in his own skin in hiring a coach with a longer resume than his own as a coordinator, and in doing so, he found someone that he can lean on next season and (hopefully) beyond. "The biggest thing I wanted with coach Kill was alignment in our plan and what we're doing," Ash said. "If there are situations that come up where I want to lean on somebody and ask his opinion, 'what have you done in that situation? Have you had this come up in a program?' Then absolutely, I'll go and have a conversation with him."<<

Now we watch to see how that works out...

Reaction Score
A failure to do what is in the best interest of the school is inexcusable. What's worse, he might have learned a few things from Kill. Instead of embracing a potential mentor/advisor and making himself andthe program better, Diaco ran away from the challenge and perceived adversity instead of opportunity. It sounds so much like the way he thinks even on the field. Good riddance. He's now shown himself to be a classless, insecure loser and confirms we shouldn't lose an ounce of sleep over his misfortune.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I really want to know what staff changes and OC prospects Diaco had pitched to BD. That would probably be a hilarious (dark humor!) plan featuring his usual choices of people he could dominate or are indebted too him from his coaching tree. I hope that will leak at some point.

I don't think he tried to get fired. I think he is so into himself and so lost that he couldn't see the forest through the trees. Totally blind.

Reaction Score
A failure to do what is in the best interest of the school is inexcusable. What's worse, he might have learned a few things from Kill. Instead of embracing a potential mentor/advisor and making himself andthe program better, Diaco ran away from the challenge and perceived adversity instead of opportunity. It sounds so much like the way he thinks even on the field. Good riddance. He's now shown himself to be a classless, insecure loser and confirms we shouldn't lose an ounce of sleep over his misfortune.
Agreed, like an old movie, Diaco was willing to go down with the ship, trying to do it his way instead of realizing that his way wasn't working and he needed to change. Just like his coaching, Diaco was slow to realize the playing field and adjustments before it was too late. Diaco was Warde's guy and he didn't realize that Susan was ready to pull the trigger.

Here's reality, another year of Diaco may have been the demise of UConn Football. Recruiting was/is unacceptable, game management cost them at least 3 games this year alone, offense and defensive strategy was terrible, O-Line has not progressed at all. Time to reload. UConn just has to get it right.

Reaction Score

And Corley!

Reaction Score

If he didn't have the health issues then I would agree with this. Diaco needed to take a leap of faith on this one, if it had worked the program and UConn certainly would have been better off.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The Oline never coming together was always BD's biggest problem whether that was talent, depth, coaching, or a combo of all three, the next coach needs to solve it and maybe look at some tape of the guys on the roster.

Maybe BD brought in the right guys and just needed them to bulk up and assert themselves in the lineup as the line turned over to graduation. I hope he did. If not, you have another 3 year cycle of trying to get it right.

Now we have no QB. Given BD's love for Williams, that may hurt the next guy as well.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Now we have no QB. Given BD's love for Williams, that may hurt the next guy as well.

I predict DW doesn't see the field in 2017. The new coach will get a transfer in here from somewhere, anywhere! He might not get them by NLI day, but certainly by the start of the summer practices there will be a new #1 QB and it will be a name we don't know today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom