Leave nothing on the field | The Boneyard

Leave nothing on the field

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Didn't tee it up this morning due to rain. Saw this and it pumped me up for the fall!

My wife keeps telling me to take it easy and enjoy the summer but UCONN football as crappy as it's been
still has a piece of me and obviously many of you too! When they start winning again, it will all be worth it!

Reaction Score
If the Players buy into Coach D.'s narrative it will be VERY soon. There is talent. It MUST show up on Game Day.

Reaction Score
If the Players buy into Coach D.'s narrative it will be VERY soon. There is talent. It MUST show up on Game Day.

I believe it will and we all will be surprised like Gomer Pyle!

Reaction Score
UConn class of ’15 is mostly a group of ‘local’ guys… if you define local as NJ, NY, MD, NH, DE, etc. At best they are 3 star recruits. Nice to see a guy from Florida and one from Illinois commit. Shows a little reach - which is great. But the 4 and 5 star guys aren’t coming. Worse, the 4 and 5 star guys in Connecticut are not staying home. This AAC / G5 thing is just a killer. You suggest the talent is there. Is it?

(Some of the above information taken from ESPN college football recruiting class of 2015. Please correct me if I'm off the mark.)

Many of the 22/23 NFL players drafted out of UConn since 2008 weren't 3 stars. Are those players not talented? Also this is nothing new, we competed and won frequently in the BE with under-the-radar type players. I have a tough time envisioning it not working in a lower conference.

Reaction Score
UConn class of ’15 is mostly a group of ‘local’ guys… if you define local as NJ, NY, MD, NH, DE, etc. At best they are 3 star recruits. Nice to see a guy from Florida and one from Illinois commit. Shows a little reach - which is great. But the 4 and 5 star guys aren’t coming. Worse, the 4 and 5 star guys in Connecticut are not staying home. This AAC / G5 thing is just a killer. You suggest the talent is there. Is it?

(Some of the above information taken from ESPN college football recruiting class of 2015. Please correct me if I'm off the mark.)

It looks like you are new to the boneyard and welcome. Below is one of my posts back in Dec. on this star subject where I posted some quotes from Bob Diaco and his philosophy on the star system. Many didn't agree with Diaco and perhaps you won't as well. I have always believed in him and am looking forward to seeing where he takes the program by recruiting what he and Brian Kelly term RKG's or Right kinda guys!
You may also want to go to the first post of that thread where I shared what I believe about Bob Diaco.

http://the-boneyard.com/threads/what-i-believe-about-bob-diaco.69530/page-3

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It looks like you are new to the boneyard and welcome. Below is one of my posts back in Dec. on this star subject where I posted some quotes from Bob Diaco and his philosophy on the star system. Many didn't agree with Diaco and perhaps you won't as well. I have always believed in him and am looking forward to seeing where he takes the program by recruiting what he and Brian Kelly term RKG's or Right kinda guys!
You may also want to go to the first post of that thread where I shared what I believe about Bob Diaco.

http://the-boneyard.com/threads/what-i-believe-about-bob-diaco.69530/page-3

You should use your browser and head over to the football recuiting board.

There you should read the HuskyMedic thread that outlines who UConn had offered.

From there you should connect the dots and understand that Diaco and his staff really want to land highly recruited players.

Whatever you've imagined about Diaco's opinion on the star system exists only in your head. Based upon his actions he like every other football coach on the planet covets highly rated recruits.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If you'd like a good laugh... if you follow CCarl's link he excuses Boyle's play because of a lower leg injury.

That's right folks: Tim Boyle didn't play well because he was hampered by a lower leg injury.

Also little known facts: Kim Jong Il beat Michael Jordan 1 on 1 the same day he shot a 37 at Augusta National.

Reaction Score
If you'd like a good laugh... if you follow CCarl's link he excuses Boyle's play because of a lower leg injury.

That's right folks: Tim Boyle didn't play well because he was hampered by a lower leg injury.

Also little known facts: Kim Jong Il beat Michael Jordan 1 on 1 the same day he shot a 37 at Augusta National.

Whaler:

Didn't quite understand the tone of your post nor the big deal about the declaration of Boyle's injury last year. Too the best of my knowledge it was revealed only this year that Boyle may have had back issues as well, possibly to protect him.

Diaco has been clear that Boyle played hurt last year.

10/19/2014
Quarterback Tim Boyle has seen action under center in three of the last four games. The sophomore from Middlefield, who has been dealing with injury issues, has completed 7 of 15 passes for 40 yards, no touchdowns and two interceptions.

"I don't mind saying it because I said it to the whole team, we'd like Tim to come in and produce and play a lot more than he does and than he has," Diaco said. "We're looking forward to that moment and opportunity. He has played in each of the last few games, I think he's healing up and feeling better. As that improves, his game improves, but continued ball security errors, you just can't have that."

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-football/hc-uconn-football-1020-20141019-story.html

10/7/2014
Sophomore quarterback Tim Boyle is feeling well enough so that his lower body injury won't affect his play.

Diaco continues to call Boyle UConn's quarterback of the future and said there's no situation in which he would hesitate to put him in the game.

"I'm physically ready to go," said Boyle, who had a lower leg issue before the South Florida game and didn't play, then was used sparingly against the Owls.

"There's some discomfort, but nothing that would hold me back," Boyle said.
UConn had the bye week to recover and rest up, but as Diaco noted at the midpoint of the season, it's tough for a team to be at 100 percent.

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-football/hc-uconn-football-bob-diaco-1008-20141007-story.html

4/11/2015 - re: Spring Game
Boyle, on the other hand, was 10 of 19 for 63 yards and had several passes dropped. The production is a bit meaningless, but the way Boyle looked physically was stark from last year. He had bounce and looked much more athletic than we’ve seen.

Boyle’s healthy, he has foot and leg problems the last year plus, and showed better mechanics and movement.

http://snyuconn.com/uconn/football/spring-game-thoughts-and-notes/

4/10/2015 Diaco re Boyle healthy this year

Right now Bryant has had some more production on a day to day basis," Diaco said. "It is ever so slight because Tim is playing the best football he has played since we have met him. He is now healthy, which has been a big help for him, and he's doing a lot of really great things. No matter what shakes out next fall, Tim is going to go in the games for us on critical downs and he's going to have to perform to win or be the starter. At a minimum, that's definitely going to happen. He will be ready to go in and do it if he doesn't go in and become the quarterback between now and then. But Bryant has a higher ability to keep plays alive and be productive with his legs. He creates opportunities for the offense. They are both good strong passers."

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Whaler:

Didn't quite understand the tone of your post nor the big deal about the declaration of Boyle's injury last year. Too the best of my knowledge it was revealed only this year that Boyle may have had back issues as well, possibly to protect him.

Diaco has been clear that Boyle played hurt last year.

10/19/2014
Quarterback Tim Boyle has seen action under center in three of the last four games. The sophomore from Middlefield, who has been dealing with injury issues, has completed 7 of 15 passes for 40 yards, no touchdowns and two interceptions.

"I don't mind saying it because I said it to the whole team, we'd like Tim to come in and produce and play a lot more than he does and than he has," Diaco said. "We're looking forward to that moment and opportunity. He has played in each of the last few games, I think he's healing up and feeling better. As that improves, his game improves, but continued ball security errors, you just can't have that."

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-football/hc-uconn-football-1020-20141019-story.html

10/7/2014
Sophomore quarterback Tim Boyle is feeling well enough so that his lower body injury won't affect his play.

Diaco continues to call Boyle UConn's quarterback of the future and said there's no situation in which he would hesitate to put him in the game.

"I'm physically ready to go," said Boyle, who had a lower leg issue before the South Florida game and didn't play, then was used sparingly against the Owls.

"There's some discomfort, but nothing that would hold me back," Boyle said.
UConn had the bye week to recover and rest up, but as Diaco noted at the midpoint of the season, it's tough for a team to be at 100 percent.

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-football/hc-uconn-football-bob-diaco-1008-20141007-story.html

4/11/2015 - re: Spring Game
Boyle, on the other hand, was 10 of 19 for 63 yards and had several passes dropped. The production is a bit meaningless, but the way Boyle looked physically was stark from last year. He had bounce and looked much more athletic than we’ve seen.

Boyle’s healthy, he has foot and leg problems the last year plus, and showed better mechanics and movement.

http://snyuconn.com/uconn/football/spring-game-thoughts-and-notes/

4/10/2015 Diaco re Boyle healthy this year

Right now Bryant has had some more production on a day to day basis," Diaco said. "It is ever so slight because Tim is playing the best football he has played since we have met him. He is now healthy, which has been a big help for him, and he's doing a lot of really great things. No matter what shakes out next fall, Tim is going to go in the games for us on critical downs and he's going to have to perform to win or be the starter. At a minimum, that's definitely going to happen. He will be ready to go in and do it if he doesn't go in and become the quarterback between now and then. But Bryant has a higher ability to keep plays alive and be productive with his legs. He creates opportunities for the offense. They are both good strong passers."

It's fairly simple.

The coaching staff conjures up fake injuries and feeds us bull$h!t.

Carl, I'll explain this one slowly because it's lost on you. You don't need to lie about your back-up quarterback to 'protect' him. If you need the back-up quarterback and he's hurt you just put in the next quarterback. It he's got a minor injury and can play - you say nothing and put the excuses away.

Hopefully one of the things Diaco learned last season was to drop the nonsensical lying to the media and fans. It was clown college level stuff and makes him look like a tool.

Reaction Score
It's fairly simple.

The coaching staff conjures up fake injuries and feeds us bull$h!t.

Carl, I'll explain this one slowly because it's lost on you. You don't need to lie about your back-up quarterback to 'protect' him. If you need the back-up quarterback and he's hurt you just put in the next quarterback. It he's got a minor injury and can play - you say nothing and put the excuses away.

Hopefully one of the things Diaco learned last season was to drop the nonsensical lying to the media and fans. It was clown college level stuff and makes him look like a tool.

Protect, as in not disclosing what specific lower extremity so opposing players do not target or exploit that injury. Lying to the media and fans about I injuries? Now that's a new one and admittedly you lost me on that one!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Protect, as in not disclosing what specific lower extremity so opposing players do not target or exploit that injury. Lying to the media and fans about I injuries? Now that's a new one and admittedly you lost me on that one!

For a guy with such strong opinions about his hero you don't pay very close attention to what is going on do you?

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
For a guy with such strong opinions about his hero you don't pay very close attention to what is going on do you?
So you are saying Boyle had no injury?

Reaction Score

There are a few very special heroes in my life. Bob Diaco isn't one of them. Having said that, he is a person whose abilities and values I respect. I believe over time he will successfully orchestrate a dramatic turn around in UCONN's football program.

Whaler, it's 80 degrees, sunny and beautiful outside. Smile, take a deep breath, have a cool drink, find someone to hug and have an awesome day!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You should use your browser and head over to the football recuiting board.

There you should read the HuskyMedic thread that outlines who UConn had offered.

From there you should connect the dots and understand that Diaco and his staff really want to land highly recruited players.

Whatever you've imagined about Diaco's opinion on the star system exists only in your head. Based upon his actions he like every other football coach on the planet covets highly rated recruits.

While I agree that Diaco covets highly rated players the same way every other coach in America does, I think the 2016 offer list reflects the fact that he understands UCONN's current position in the college football pecking order. There are only a handful of highly ranked prospects on the list, with the majority of these coming from states in the northeast. It makes little sense for a program like UCONN to commit time and resources chasing 4 or 5 star prospects across the country when there is 0% chance of landing any.

Diaco needs to identify raw athletes with high upside and work them from early on in the recruiting cycle. That way when higher profile programs come sniffing around close to signing day, they will have built up a strong relationship with these kids. They'll lose a few but maintain the majority. The question becomes does he know what to do with these kids when he gets them? Obviously the jury is out on this.

I often wonder if a program like UCONN, handcuffed by conference affiliation and situated in an area that produces few FBS prospects would have benefited more from a head coach with a defined offensive system?

Consider a program like GT who runs the triple option. They do not need to compete head to head with schools like Clemson, UGA, UF or FSU for the same players. They are recruiting kids that best fit their offensive system. Same thing with a team like WSU. They sure as hell can't compete head to head with USC or Oregon for recruits, but they can identify the type of QB and WR prospects that fit their spread and plug and play. Curious what you guys think about the idea of a more generic pro style offense as opposed to a defined system?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
GT's 2015 class was huge at 27 kids...nobody above a three star...but also nobody below. A total three star (Rivals) class.

To operate, they need a good mobile QB, a good HB and RB...and a decent WR to keep teams honest. Unlike teams that have linemen that have to learn pass protections, blitz pick up assignments as well as run blocking schemes, GT can do more with less. Much like the old WVU read-option with Pat White.

WVU had the Rich Rod offensive scheme and finally had the personnel to make it work.

GT's system also burns time off of the clock and takes some pressure off of the defense.

Reaction Score
You're unhappy about watchuing the program regress for 4 years, I get it. You're frustrated about the cnference we are in and the "rivalries" we need to create, I get it.

You state unequvocally that the HC lied to you (and me), then frigging point out that lie. Put it down in cold, hard facts or STFU.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
I'm gonna start calling myself Sue.....

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You're unhappy about watchuing the program regress for 4 years, I get it. You're frustrated about the cnference we are in and the "rivalries" we need to create, I get it.

You state unequvocally that the HC lied to you (and me), then frigging point out that lie. Put it down in cold, hard facts or STFU.

Ok - I'll waste some time later going through all the Boyle nonsense. The whole Boyle saga doesn't exactly reflect well on the job they did last season.

Coaches lie all the time to the media and fans - not that big of a deal. Diaco's approach is especially frustrating because it's somewhat condesending.

If you don't think Diaco has stood in front of everyone and fed us a lot of BS to this point I'm probably not going to change your mind though since we talked about it pretty much every day for 4 months.....

Reaction Score
that's the closest to a retraction i've ever seen whaler make

I get the frustration. But let's not start lying about what was said.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
that's the closest to a retraction i've ever seen whaler make

I get the frustration. But let's not start lying about what was said.

You think that's a retraction?

Obviously I can't prove he lied but if you absorbed what the man said on a week to week basis you think he was telling the truth?

On Boyle, you'd have to believe in the concept of lower leg 'pain' without an injury associated with it...

Also this mystery 'pain' still allowed him to play random series in the coming weeks. Because if you have a player who isn't injured but has 'pain' you want to warm him up, then sit him on the bench for an hour then bring him randomly into games for one series at a time.

The approach works for a Bellichek level of success in New England, doesn't fly when you play like his teams in Cleveland.

Reaction Score
So you are saying Boyle had no injury?
Boyle has even said he's had off season surgery to sure up a couple injuries. There was definitely an injury/ailment. And the coaching staff certainly does not have to disclose exactly what the issue was.

Reaction Score
Whaler's correct in saying Bellichek's techniques won't work at the college level because players at the professional level sign collective bargaining agreements and contracts regarding disclosure of injuries that may bypass HIPPA laws. Diaco must be much more careful because of patient privacy laws.

Being a perfectionist, I don't think Diaco is capable of lying and he wasn't lying about Boyle's injuries. If he seemed vague and mysterious by saying lower leg injury versus say a torn meniscus, there was a reason and it most likely involved HIPPA, or the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act. It is Federal legislation that created national standards to protect the privacy of patients' written medical records and other personal health information.

HIPAA, is the reason most cited by coaches for keeping mum, dictates how much information a doctor can tell a third party about a patient's illnesses. HIPAA applies to written records but many coaches err on the side of caution because of concern for violating the act and hurting a players reputations. For example full disclosure of an injury could effect a player wanting to play at the next level. Although the player will have to disclose that information when applying anyway, it's not the coaches right to speak publicly about a players specific injuries unless given specific permission to do so.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Whaler's correct in saying Bellichek's techniques won't work at the college level because players at the professional level sign collective bargaining agreements and contracts regarding disclosure of injuries that may bypass HIPPA laws. Diaco must be much more careful because of patient privacy laws.

Being a perfectionist, I don't think Diaco is capable of lying and he wasn't lying about Boyle's injuries. If he seemed vague and mysterious by saying lower leg injury versus say a torn meniscus, there was a reason and it most likely involved HIPPA, or the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act. It is Federal legislation that created national standards to protect the privacy of patients' written medical records and other personal health information.

HIPAA, is the reason most cited by coaches for keeping mum, dictates how much information a doctor can tell a third party about a patient's illnesses. HIPAA applies to written records but many coaches err on the side of caution because of concern for violating the act and hurting a players reputations. For example full disclosure of an injury could effect a player wanting to play at the next level. Although the player will have to disclose that information when applying anyway, it's not the coaches right to speak publicly about a players specific injuries unless given specific permission to do so.

You guys crack me up with this stuff.

Diaco isn't capable of lying! Diaco was a complicit party to the Manti Te'o farce.

Notre Dame coaches were told on December 26th. The game was played January 7th. The news of the 'hoax' broke on January 13th.

I'd say he's pretty comfortable with lying.

Reaction Score

I'm sure Boyle would have redshirted had he torn his meniscus last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom