Learned a (sports related) life lesson yesterday | The Boneyard

Learned a (sports related) life lesson yesterday

Reaction Score
After the whole Diallo letdown yesterday I learned that its better to not follow recruiting at all.

From now on, I will wait until after a recruit officially commits to us before I will read up on what he brings to the table and watch his mixtape. I will be excited for each commit we get regardless of rank or hype.

As to the recruits we are in the hunt for, I won't read about them, won't watch their mixtape, won't follow what the recruiting gurus have to say, so after a recruit decides to go somewhere else I could care less about a guy thats not going to UConn and who I never knew about anyway.

As much as I would like to say and think that I could care less about Diallo committing to UK, the reality is that yesterday still stung.

That being said I am looking forward to Alterique, Larrier, Mamadou, Makai, Polley, and Carlton play next year. We have a lot of talent coming in next season!

Reaction Score
It's an addiction of sorts so I know I can't promise I will stop, but I will tone it down. The kid looked like he wanted to come here, but he's a kid as they all say.

I will say this, you lead the team I like on that far and leave, you can't play crappy enough next year when you put that UK uni on, you really can't. Call me a baby, could care less. Not your everyday recruiting loss.

Reaction Score
After the whole Diallo letdown yesterday I learned that its better to not follow recruiting at all.

From now on, I will wait until after a recruit officially commits to us before I will read up on what he brings to the table and watch his mixtape. I will be excited for each commit we get regardless of rank or hype.

As to the recruits we are in the hunt for, I won't read about them, won't watch their mixtape, won't follow what the recruiting gurus have to say, so after a recruit decides to go somewhere else I could care less about a guy thats not going to UConn and who I never knew about anyway.

As much as I would like to say and think that I could care less about Diallo committing to UK, the reality is that yesterday still stung.

That being said I am looking forward to Alterique, Larrier, Mamadou, Makai, Polley, and Carlton play next year. We have a lot of talent coming in next season!
We are over recruited at guard. Adams, Gilbert, Vital and the freshman plus Diallo would make 5 guards. Also, hate him as we do, right now, UCONN is a train wreck, Kentucky is solid. Also, Diallo is one and done. Do we really want that?

Reaction Score

Take solace in the fact that if it were any other school other than kentucky/duke he'd be ours. Ollie has proven that he is in that next class of recruiters. His big splash is coming. We just have to be patient

C

Chief00

Take it from me you won't follow your own advice - we have all taken that journey or at least most of us.

Reaction Score
Recruiting is so much different now with twitter, youtube, etc. It used to be a lot of fun to follow it in the early stages of the internet when a name would surface that would be visiting, you'd go to one of 4/5 websites and find out some stuff about him, and then you were happy if they committed because you got a commitment. You did not know the difference.

To address the Diallo hate though, how exactly did he "lead us on"? Sure, he visited and hung out a lot but so do countless other high schoolers who want to hang out/party with college kids. I cannot remember one time where he was overly complementary to UConn other than saying we were recruiting him hard. He actually seemed indifferent from the start and when asked if we were the leader always said that everyone was equal. He never came out and said he loved us only to spurn us n the end. It was obvious we were one of his faves but that's where it stood.

c29328

On Smoko
Reaction Score
I like this idea. I feel like like I am being more disappointed by a loss than happy with a win. I can fix that.

Reaction Score
Recruiting is so much different now with twitter, youtube, etc. It used to be a lot of fun to follow it in the early stages of the internet when a name would surface that would be visiting, you'd go to one of 4/5 websites and find out some stuff about him, and then you were happy if they committed because you got a commitment. You did not know the difference.

To address the Diallo hate though, how exactly did he "lead us on"? Sure, he visited and hung out a lot but so do countless other high schoolers who want to hang out/party with college kids. I cannot remember one time where he was overly complementary to UConn other than saying we were recruiting him hard. He actually seemed indifferent from the start and when asked if we were the leader always said that everyone was equal. He never came out and said he loved us only to spurn us n the end. It was obvious we were one of his faves but that's where it stood.

It's funny boog I guess we rally don't know the actual truth in how close it came. But guessing, and that actual thoughts from players, they expected it. Just doesn't seem to be to be the usual recruiting loss that's all. I shouldn't root against the kid, I know and maybe I won't in all reality. But more than likely if a see a 1-12, 3 points I will smile a little. And 12 minutes next game, I will have a big smile, just me!:D

Reaction Score
The kid is working the system and going for the money, can't blame him. He has no intention of playing in college, so it's no big loss.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
My only source is what I choose to read on this board, and I have to tell you, the decision disappointed me

Thanks for getting my hopes up guys just so I can get bummed about something I have nothing to do with

H

huskymagic

Diabolical should be declared person non grata within 5 miles of UCONN's campus. Keep it unofficial until he finds out the hard way.

P.S. We knew when he packed up and left PSA and didn't announce from there that he wasn't come to UCONN. We were just hoping to hit the jackpot.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Diabolical should be declared person non grata within 5 miles of UCONN's campus. Keep it unofficial until he finds out the hard way.

P.S. We knew when he packed up and left PSA and didn't announce from there that he wasn't come to UCONN. We were just hoping to hit the jackpot.

What are you going to do if you get word that he breaks your perimeter? Call the police?

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
The kid is working the system and going for the money, can't blame him. He has no intention of playing in college, so it's no big loss.
From what I read he is a one year at best prospect. I say prospect because he has not proved himself at the next level (college). Highly gifted athletically no doubt. Last summer when the discussion on him came up he was considered a one and done at best. The idea was he was going to augment the stellar class of recruits plus Larrier that we had this season and then leave. Now with AG and Larrier out for the season before it really started plus MAL coming in there is going to be a lot of players adjusting to each other that wasn't anticipated. Diallo was considered to be the icing on the cake that would take us very deep in the NCAA. As pointed out above, he really wouldn't be as good a fit for Uconn now since he has a learning curve as do the others. Just wasn't "in the stars" and to me not much of a loss since we are really starting all over next year anyway. Have to admit I am not too happy with all the drama about his heralded announcement. We shall see if he is "NBA ready" coming out of UK and how his future fares. I like the looks of a lot of the kids we have coming in or back next year. Going to watch the rest of the season and anticipate the future as a team. Our guys need to gel as a team and it will be a whole new year in the fall. Will also follow the recruiting because I am addicted to the Boneyard (it's a healthy one). I learned a ton about college BB by some learned folks on here and enjoy all the humor as well as the OT threads.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Geesh, he's a kid who made the decision he thought was right for him. Get over it already.

...of course he's dead to me now.

Reaction Score
When I realized Squid was interested and Hami wanted to be a one and done, I knew we didn't want him. I want kids who can develop and will probably stay at least three years. We have done this for years, and for the most part, it has worked for us.

Look at UVA right now. that is their formula and it is having great success.

Nothing is better than knocking off Squid with a team "locally made".

Reaction Score
Well, I always root against Kentucky, but now I'm going to root against Kentucky!

Reaction Score
Take it from me you won't follow your own advice - we have all taken that journey or at least most of us.

Have to agree with Chief on this one. I've said this to myself many recruiting misses. That promise had been to hard to keep for me.

This miss is hard to swallow.

Reaction Score
Would like to have the minutes back spent on Stone/Diallo threads, but the what would I do with them? Will lay off the recruit threads for now.

Reaction Score
As much as yesterday sucked, it must have been that much worse for the folks who have been watching since he's been a sophomore in high school.

You know damn well though that you're not going to follow through on this. First time somebody sends a cryptic tweet about Bamba being interested in UConn, you'll be hooked again.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Things don't always work out the way you would like, that is the life lesson here.
Amen brother.

My wife doesn't get involved with recruiting at all. She's pragmatic and patient. She doesn't spend any time until the players are in uniform and playing games. Then she makes up her mind.

I have to watch my salt diet. I love to follow recruiting but I take all information with a grain of salt. Recruiting losses don't disappoint me. Losses to George Mason, Maryland and UCLA in the NCAA's hurt. Losing to Cuse in the six overtimes also. But I quickly bounce back knowing very few college programs exceed UConn.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
I think we were in the mix for him all the way. The injuries leading to this lost season killed our chances. Now, he goes to UK, gets to practice against guys he'll be compared to for the next level. If he outperforms them then he declares. If he under performs them then he plays for UK next year. I don't think UConn could offer something similar with the current roster . When UConn goes 5 v. 5 in practice two walk ons are playing. And for those who think Hami is all about himself, he is, and all of us would be too. This "might" be a reason why. And the salary cap is set to rise dramatically next.
2016-17 NBA Player Contracts | Basketball-Reference.com

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I'm over it. Seemed pretty clear a week ago it wasn't happening.

As I've said previously, it'd bother me a lot more if he could shoot.

Reaction Score
Just think how we would have felt if he comitied to us, spent the spring semester on campus, and then went in the draft? Never playing a single game for us...I became very suspicious once Squid got involved that he might be lost, once I saw how he was doing the announcement I felt sure he wouldn't go here. Since I sort of wrote him off a while ago I'm not all that bothered by it. As they say, next!

pj

Reaction Score
We are over recruited at guard. Adams, Gilbert, Vital and the freshman plus Diallo would make 5 guards. Also, hate him as we do, right now, UCONN is a train wreck, Kentucky is solid. Also, Diallo is one and done. Do we really want that?

(1) No. On a 13 player roster you need 5 guards, 3 wings, and 5 big men. With Adams, Purvis, and Vital right now, UConn is 2 guards down. With Makai and Alterique replacing Purvis next year, we'll be one guard short. We need one more. The higher rated, the better. (2) UConn is not a train wreck, it's just rebuilding, but there's young talent to rebuild with. (3) Yes, we do want a Diallo one-and-a-half and done.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom