League Championship promotion race | The Boneyard

League Championship promotion race

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There's a pretty good race for top 2 in the League Championship going on. (top 2 finishers are automatically promoted to EPL, then teams 3 thru 6 have a playoff for the third promotion spot).

With 2 regular season matches remaining:
1 - Burnley 87 points +33 goal diff (v. QPR, @Carlton Athletic)
2 - Middlesbrough 87 points +32 goal diff (@Birmingham, v Brighton & Hove Albion)
3 - Brighton & Hove Albion 87 points +30 goal diff. (v Derby County, @ Middlesbrough)

Burnley has the easiest path, and is all but assured a top 2 finish. In their final 2 matches... Charlton is already guaranteed relegation to League 1, and QPR is 13th place. Add to that the Brighton and Middlesbrough play one another, so only 1 can get a full 6 points.

I'd predict Middlesbough as the 2nd place team.

After that, Hull, Derby County, hav locked in playoff spots, along with the 3rd place team. Sheffield Wednesday and Cardiff City are vying for the 6th spot. They play each other this weekend.

At the bottom, wow has Bolton fallen fast. It wasn't that long ago they were playing in the EPL, Stuart Holden was a regular starter with them before that vicious tackle pretty much ended his career (essentially). They are now going to be relegated to League 1.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
One Albion in the EPL is plenty. Some might say one is too many.

Reaction Score
The Albion Derby.... I like it.

I think Burnley and Middlesboro are definitely promoted, and I'll go with Derby County as the third (only because they are one of the 2 teams I pull for in League Championship). Big match for them @ B&HA tomorrow.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
One Albion in the EPL is plenty. Some might say one is too many.

Did you see Leko Saturday? Looks like he could make WBA more interesting offensively.

Reaction Score
And the "other Albion" scores a last minute equalizer while playing with only 10 men... to earn a home draw v Derby County. This keeps them even on points w/ Middlesboro.
Burnley just took a 1-0 lead v QPR in the 61st minute. All they need is a draw and they are promoted.

This weekend Middlesboro hosts B&H Albion in the season finale in what is a play in game for the EPL. B&HA must win to go up, Middlesboro gets promoted with a draw or win.
Loser will play Sheffield Wednesday in one home and home promotion semi-final, while Hull will play Derby in the other.

Reaction Score
A huge game to wrap up League Championship regular season, with promotion on the line. Middlesboro v Brighton & Hove Albion at 7:30am on beIN Sports. B&HA must win to go up; M'boro gets promoted with a draw or win (they're even on points, M's GD is better by 2 goals)

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Burnley and Middlesbrough are promoted. Glad to see Middlesbrough back in the PL.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
In a similar note but lower down the rungs....Bristol Rovers gained automatic promotion from League 2 to League One today through a late goal in the 92nd minute that gave them the 3 points needed. They were in 4th coming in to today but Accrington Stanley (love these names) drew and opened the door.

The reason I mentioned this was because Rovers were relegated to the National League on the last day of the season two years ago. They've come back and gained promotion in two consecutive seasons from National League to League 2 and now on to League One. Congrats to them. That's quite an accomplishment because dropping out of the Top 4 divisions usually results in disappearing from big time soccer.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
Sheffield Wednesday and Hull City will battle it out to earn the third promotion spot to the Prem. Pulling for Wednesday. I don't like seeing the same clubs bounce back and forth. I like seeing new teams.

Reaction Score
Sheffield Wednesday and Hull City will battle it out to earn the third promotion spot to the Prem. Pulling for Wednesday. I don't like seeing the same clubs bounce back and forth. I like seeing new teams.
Ditto. Was hoping Derby could have pulled off the comeback after their 2nd goal today. Not meant to be. Wednesday are one of the oldest clubs in English football, would love to see them back in the EPL.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
Championship promotion match today at 12:00 on BeIN. Hope you can find it in HD whaler! ;)

Pair that with Champions League Final at 2:45 and USMNT at 8 tonight and that's a good day of soccer watching! Maybe I'll stay home while the wife takes the kids to the shore :D (no chance that'll get approved! Lol)

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

I agree as well. We don't need Hull going up. If they advance, they might as well change their name to Hull Albion.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I get the feeling Sheffield-Hull would be analagous to a Cleveland-Detroit playoff in terms of cities / economics...

Reaction Score
Hull gets the win, and another 38 matches in the EPL until they're relegated again.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
Hull gets the win, and another 38 matches in the EPL until they're relegated again.
Ugh...was hoping Wednesday would pull it off. Oh well....watching Atletico-Real now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom