Lead me onto the field Coach .... | The Boneyard

Lead me onto the field Coach ....

Reaction Score
this is the kind of stuff that makes me eager ... eager ... for the first game:

"Coach Jerry Kill willingly shares a big portion of that success with Eric Klein ’93, the Gophers’ head strength and conditioning coach. Klein, who grew up in Apple Valley, Minnesota, has been part of Kill’s coaching staff since 1994, when he joined him at Emporia State in Kansas. Kill hired the relatively inexperienced Klein based solely on the recommendation of Kill’s former roommate at Southwestern College: Carleton athletic director Gerald Young.

Kill spoke recently about Klein to Star Tribune columnist Patrick Reusse: “Gerald called me about Eric, who was 21 at the time. . . . I told Gerald, ‘I’m not hiring anybody that young.’ But I did, and I tell you, Gerald was right. [Klein’s] biggest attribute is that he’s so smart. He trains all the muscles . . . he strengthens all the core. He’s ahead of his time, always working to get better.”

An English major at Carleton, Klein played football and ran track and field for the Knights. When he graduated in 1993, Klein hung around for the 1993–94 academic year to coach football and track and field, before joining Kill’s coaching staff. Although he had no formal training in exercise science, Klein says he “read every book on exercise I could get my hands on.”

At the University of Minnesota, it’s Klein’s job to lead the team onto the field before every game and after halftime. Reusse asked Kill why this honor goes to the strength coach, which is unusual. “The kids relate to Eric so well, and they believe in him,” said Kill. “None of us would be where we are without a good strength coach. All of us acknowledge how darn good he is. He’s a difference maker.”"

Because?

An English major, from Carleton, who really tries to stay far ahead on the training science and regime? I think this is unconventional and a good fit. Welcome to rural Connecticut Coach Klein!

Reaction Score
I like his work ethic, approach and results. And if he coached track all the better.

Reaction Score
Nothing more dangerous than a geek with guns. Carleton is one of the top 10 LACs in the country. Nothing like quoting Shakespeare and throwing some Iron around. Men of mettle.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69
Top Bottom