Lauren Cox to Visit on First Night | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Lauren Cox to Visit on First Night

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Some other schools have rousing football programs and big-time games to take Lauren to. Unfortunately for them, Ms Cox is not a linebacker and none can match some items that Geno can place on the itinerary for Lauren and her parents:
- Glorious fall foliage to make the drive from Bradley to Storrs an eventful photo-op;
- The magical atmosphere of First Night, including presentation of NCAA championship rings and unveiling of NC banner #10;
- Practice in the incomparable Champions Center, including a stroll past ten NC trophies, innumerable conference/tournament trophies, and photos of a few UConn immortals plus at least a dozen mere legendary players;
- Meetings with Dr. Herbst, AD Manuel and any academic department head requested;
- Lasagna and spumoni at the Auriemmas' home, with a good group of future teammates;
- Lunch with the team, especially Pheese;
- Go to class with Moriah, Pheese, or Stewie; and,
- A meeting in Geno's office to acquaint her with the uncompromising UConn/Geno way thing are done - with NO PT promises (but maybe delivery of a McDonald's hamburger w/fries by Diana and Sue or a VIP tour of ESPN).:rolleyes:

Oops! Forgot the Dairy Bar!
Yeah, but can her Mom sell handbags in the co-op and live in an expensive "gated community" next to the state prison? If you can say yes to both of those things, then it's a lock, because apparently that's all it takes to lure the top recruits to UConn. I always thought top kids only sign with UConn for the free ESPN tours, but I've been wrong before.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The fact that she was on the U19 team at all (with players 2 classes ahead of her) speaks volumes. Most recent eval from ESPN (who ranks her #1 in the class of 2016):

The elite interior prospect in the class of 2016; dominates in the block with superior length, timing and soft touch; finishes plays vs. contact, delivers at the charity stripe; mobility in uptempo; stretches the defense to the arc; complete package with next level impact.
Exactly - she Danger and Slocum were the only 2016 kids on the team - there rest were either college freshman or had just graduated. For a big especially in international play, two years is huge in terms of strength and development. Danger was the only one of the three who played significant minutes and contributed significantly to the stats line.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Some other schools have rousing football programs and big-time games to take Lauren to. Unfortunately for them, Ms Cox is not a linebacker and none can match some items that Geno can place on the itinerary for Lauren and her parents:
- Glorious fall foliage to make the drive from Bradley to Storrs an eventful photo-op;
- The magical atmosphere of First Night, including presentation of NCAA championship rings and unveiling of NC banner #10;
- Practice in the incomparable Champions Center, including a stroll past ten NC trophies, innumerable conference/tournament trophies, and photos of a few UConn immortals plus at least a dozen mere legendary players;
- Meetings with Dr. Herbst, AD Manuel and any academic department head requested;
- Lasagna and spumoni at the Auriemmas' home, with a good group of future teammates;
- Lunch with the team, especially Pheese;
- Go to class with Moriah, Pheese, or Stewie; and,
- A meeting in Geno's office to acquaint her with the uncompromising UConn/Geno way thing are done - with NO PT promises (but maybe delivery of a McDonald's hamburger w/fries by Diana and Sue or a VIP tour of ESPN).:rolleyes:

Oops! Forgot the Dairy Bar!

When UConn rolls out the red carpet for first night, they dot their i's, and cross their t's.
They spare no expense, and leave no stone unturned. They've got it down to a science.
They know how to throw a "first night" party.

The "WOW" factor for the evening is unbelievable. It's hard not to be impressed if you are a recruit attending first night. First Night extravaganzas can be very intoxicating to visiting recruits and their families.

Mr. Kibitzer, I don't think you left off anything. You checked all the boxes. If Cox is still undecided when she arrives in on campus, the scales just may tip in our favor before she leaves.

UConn offers everything she could want in a potential university program. I'd love to predict that Cox will commit to UConn, but I can't. I can join with every other UConn fan in hoping she does.
What a get she would be for the program. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
When UConn rolls out the red carpet for first night, they dot their i's, and cross their t's.
They spare no expense, and leave no stone unturned. They've got it down to a science.
They know how to throw a "first night" party.

The "WOW" factor for the evening is unbelievable. It's hard not to be impressed if you are a recruit attending first night. First Night extravaganzas can be very intoxicating to visiting recruits and their families.

Mr. Kibitzer, I don't think you left off anything. You checked all the boxes. If Cox is still undecided when she arrives in on campus, the scales just may tip in our favor before she leaves.

UConn offers everything she could want in a potential university program. I'd love to predict that Cox will commit to UConn, but I can't. I can join with every other UConn fan in hoping she does.
What a get she would be for the program. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Obviously, I like our chances.:D

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I like that Baylor is the last visit. And that is Homecoming weekend and the stadium and campus will be rocking. Maybe she is coming home.
Rocking for ISU? That's like Baylor's worst home conference game.

Honestly, I don't think the opponent matters necessarily. She's attended football games at Baylor before. Naturally, having a home football game coincide with the official visit gives the recruit something to do for 3 hours, and allows them to enjoy the pageantry of college football.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I totally get that recruits are looking for the overall campus experience, but attending a few packed home football games doesn't compare to playing on national tv for a national championship, IMO.

Reaction Score
Kim could tell Cox she will play her at the 3, I did see an article list her as a 6'4 guard.

Reaction Score
It is great to see she will be here. Maybe Stewie's success will help influence her

Reaction Score
I dont think any schools is a favorite at the moment. Her recruiting process is almost like Diamond Stone from men's basketball. So private and the parents do most of her talking to press and coaches. We will see I see her @ L'ville or Uconn. Can't see her at Tennesse SC

Well that's a good sign. If nothing else, she will get to see UCONN and its' fans at their best. I don't think that we are the favorites by any stretch, but at least she gets to get the full UCONN experience...

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I'm wondering if Cox and Joyner Holmes will be visiting Notre Dame and Tennessee for their official visits at the same time.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
weird that First Night is really about the FANS and CURRENT PLAYERS... but the recruits get all of the attention

HGN

Reaction Score
My hope is that Crystal Dangerfield will be visiting during First Night as well.....And maybe they get a chance to hang out with their U19 teammate Napheesa Collier for awhile.

Is it too much to ask that Megan Walker also stop back by like last year?

Reaction Score
Hey posters - I enjoy all the ideas and speculation about the draw of each university. Remember, Lou-Collier & Boykin made that personal connection and came to UConn. I did not see any games of the U-19 team this summer. No Cox visit to South Carolina is telling. Did anyone who saw the games notice any positive interaction with Collier or Danger? What about Cox with the ND player? I still believe that the personal relationship between players is equal to the university draw. We will soon see!!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Philly - there was very little coverage outside of the actual game, and the camera stayed primarily on the court - so no. Cox played very limited minutes during the U19 - she Dangerfield and Slocum were the only 2016 players on the team and only Dangerfield saw meaningful minutes (19) vs the other two at about 13 mpg. For Cox it isn't that surprising - the primary post/forwards getting minutes were 2014 college players plus Collier - those two years of growth in terms of strength are huge for post players.

HGN

Reaction Score
Hey posters - I enjoy all the ideas and speculation about the draw of each university. Remember, Lou-Collier & Boykin made that personal connection and came to UConn. I did not see any games of the U-19 team this summer. No Cox visit to South Carolina is telling. Did anyone who saw the games notice any positive interaction with Collier or Danger? What about Cox with the ND player? I still believe that the personal relationship between players is equal to the university draw. We will soon see!!
Philly, there was good interaction between Napheesa and Dangerfield. After one particular victory I saw Napheesa lean over to give Crystal a piggyback ride. Of course Crystal hopped on. I did not see that type of interaction between Cox and anyone in particular.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
People tend to not leave their comfort zone. Like minds attract each other. Being on the same USA team as Dangerfield and becoming friends is a plus for UConn. Did they bond? Did not playing and Dangerfield's friendship open her eyes to UConn and what she could become? Very possible. There is nothing that UConn needs to sell as everybody knows Geno and UConn and their amazing accomplishments. UConn is a dynasty and Geno and CD are living legends. There really isn't anything to sell other then the person and player you will be molded into. The family apnosphere, the notoriety, the TV exposure, and the personal growth that will prepare you for you future what ever it may be. At UConn you become a winner on the court and off the court and are built into something that you can be proud of for the rest of your life. Geno is a builder of people both players and coaches. The evidence speaks for itself. If a player doesn't want to play for UConn then they are looking for something else.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
So it's Carl Adamec who wrote the article in which Cox revealed her final 6 schools and once again it's Carl who wrote the article in which Cox revealed her final 5 and schedule of official visits. I don't think this means anything as far as UConn's chances, but it says a lot about Carl that the family allowed him to break this news rather than going to a local reporter. He's obviously established a trusting relationship with Lauren and her family.

We're very fortunate to have writers like Carl, Jim Fuller, John A, etc., covering UConn.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Uconn Cat - good point. I think generally the hoard do a nice job of 'self-policing' themselves in terms of the amount of pestering they do with recruits, their families and their coaches. Uconn is unique in having as many media people involved with women's basketball and devoting serious amounts of time even off season - but they do not appear overly competitive in terms of 'scooping' each other and also appear to allow the families to dictate the contact cycles. I can only remember one situation where it sounded like a family was annoyed with our media folks.

Reaction Score
People tend to not leave their comfort zone. Like minds attract each other. Being on the same USA team as Dangerfield and becoming friends is a plus for UConn. Did they bond? Did not playing and Dangerfield's friendship open her eyes to UConn and what she could become? Very possible. There is nothing that UConn needs to sell as everybody knows Geno and UConn and their amazing accomplishments. UConn is a dynasty and Geno and CD are living legends. There really isn't anything to sell other then the person and player you will be molded into. The family apnosphere, the notoriety, the TV exposure, and the personal growth that will prepare you for you future what ever it may be. At UConn you become a winner on the court and off the court and are built into something that you can be proud of for the rest of your life. Geno is a builder of people both players and coaches. The evidence speaks for itself. If a player doesn't want to play for UConn then they are looking for something else.
Well said, Tony.

Reaction Score
that normally concludes with confetti and a parade around downtown Hartford in early April

DC: right up there with the very best brief posts I've seen in all my years here

Reaction Score

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom