Lauren Cox to Visit on First Night

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
0.jpg

Reaction Score
I am hoping that the prospect of her college experience including watching one of the top football teams in the nation adds to her desire to go to Baylor. She has attended quite a few Baylor games and has seemed to thoroughly enjoy that experience. She gets to watcht he 2nd ranked team in the nation on homecoming weekend. I hope that can compete with First Night.
She visits Baylor last, which is an advantage for you guys. She has said she wants to go to a big football school, which is an advantage for all the finalists except UCONN. And to me she appears to be a lifelong Baylor fan anyway. She may have just been doing her due diligence, going through the motions with the other visits.

So, that said, I give UCONN only a 50/50 chance :cool: (That little "due diligence" opening is all UCONN needs to work the Geno magic, if she really belongs in Storrs. We'll see...)

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I fully expect Lauren and her family will take their final visit to Baylor. That's been the plan and with one more visit there doesn't seem to be a good reason to veer from it. Plus, anonymous "recruiting experts" says she favors ND over Baylor so I'm sure she'll want to take another look at Baylor. Geno hoped for an opportunity to give Lauren an up-close look at his program and university and I'm sure he and his staff did that very well. She now knows what UConn offers.

Kudos to Lauren and her family for how they've handled this entire process. They've seemingly done it the right way.

I'm ready for the season.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I fully expect Lauren and her family will take their final visit to Baylor. That's been the plan and with one more visit there doesn't seem to be a good reason to veer from it. Plus, anonymous "recruiting experts" says she favors ND over Baylor so I'm sure she'll want to take another look at Baylor. Geno hoped for an opportunity to give Lauren an up-close look at his program and university and I'm sure he and his staff did that very well. She now knows what UConn offers.

Kudos to Lauren and her family for how they've handled this entire process. They've seemingly done it the right way.

I'm ready for the season.

I would not be surprised at all to see her land at ND. That would really hurt after losing Turner to Muffet.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Your only addition to this conversation is posting about minutia.

ETT, for some time (and 6,000+ posts) you have been made to feel free to enlighten us about the virtues of Baylor athletics. More recently, many of us were enriched - even captivated - by your explanation of the difficulties that Type I diabetics like you (and Ms Cox) endure constantly.

But now it appears that you feel compelled to rudely critique Boneyarders. ETT, I assure you we can do this on our board with no help from you. Please refrain.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
ETT, for some time (and 6,000+ posts) you have been made to feel free to enlighten us about the virtues of Baylor athletics. More recently, many of us were enriched - even captivated - by your explanation of the difficulties that Type I diabetics like you (and Ms Cox) endure constantly.

But now it appears that you feel compelled to rudely critique Boneyarders. ETT, I assure you we can do this on our board with no help from you. Please refrain.
I "kinda" agree... ETT you're sort of an enemy when it pertains to Cox, I would kindly say be cool on this topic

Reaction Score
hjoerring - interesting post, and I agree with a lot. One 'factual' error, or at least misstatement - the European experience with language and facility for it is mostly based on proximity and intermingling of languages - if for example each New England state had a different native language (I know, some people would say they do!) and had been involved in a millennium of wars of conquest and occupation, New Englanders would probably have a much greater capacity and facility for 'foreign' languages. That would be comparable to the situation of Europe.

Historically, Latin was the language of western religion, and French was the language of international diplomacy so every educated person in Europe could speak/read those two languages as well as their native tongue - as English has taken over as the international language of choice and the native tongue has become the language of religion, it has become less important for English speaking populations to pursue foreign language proficiency. The British educated population however has a higher proficiency then the US population because of proximity and greater interaction. The same is true for the Canadian population because of the English/French mixture. (And the same is true certainly in southeastern Florida and Texas/southwestern US because of the English/Spanish mixture.

Thanks for your kind notes; however, I have a few disclaimers. One, it was German and not French, although it is a question of the period. Perhaps you were thnking of the emergence of the Bourgeoise. Proximity is tricky. Yes, Danish, Swedish and Norw. are similarly written, but the spoken languages are very different. There are also many regional dialects in the above countries that have given rise to standard danish/swedish, etc. And you know of course that the Americas is more then the USA- so proximity hasn't helped there (also with the presence of Spansk. speaking people) Also, the Brits are worst then the Americans in the learning of a new language, hopeless I would say. Of course I hinted at the relation bet power and language in my first post. That is coming back to haunt the English speakers as the world changes. In Scandinavia, all kids starting in public schools (pre-gymnasium/hs) must be proficient in Eng and Ger, and all Gymnasium/HS graduating students must sit for both a written and oral exam. in 3 major languages. At the Univ here you risk being asked to read materials in these languages. During my time at Uconn (and elsewhere- including the so-called elite schools) I was taken back by the many students who had 3 years of Spans/Fren and were unable to comm or read anything. That was something that stood out- but the profs were not all that diff. I'm not a language person, but it is now commonplace that the learning and speaking of a language is a complex matter. The grammar that you guys are obsessed with tricky: too many students are leaving the public schools with sloppy writing skills. That is a societal problem. I have read about Univ students who are leaving with a degree and cannot put their thoughts on paper without help. The U.S will have to correct this real fast. My daughter who was an xchange student in China (1st yr gym student), came back and was surprised about how advanced her fellow Chinese students were across the board. And were fellow Danish students were not idiots. In fact, we hosted a Chinese students here and his English was very good- even if it were Edwardian.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
[

If all that mattered to recruits was winning a NC then UCONN would get the top 3 or 4 ranked players in every class. No, because Geno wouldn't necessarily offer all. Fit and finish as a team member is very important to Geno and staff and the teammates. Remember Diamond DeShields. And when she decided to leave UNC did she transfer to UCONN. You are assuming she was offered at the time of transfer.

If Lauren doesn't choose UCONN does that mean she doesn't want to win a NC? No, but if she wants to win multiple NCs her odds are vastly better at UCONN than at a school that got only one while having Griner on the team. Maybe she chooses Baylor because it is a top basketball program that she would like to lead to a NC, is in a Big 5 conference, is close enough for her parents and siblings to drive in to watch every home game in person, is a Baptist university with strong religious ideas, has a great football team that adds immeasurable excitement to campus life. The rest of this is very true.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Should be interesting to hear her decision. She may very well NOT consider a national title to be the most important thing, much like EDD. It's a much farther drive from Storrs to Waco than from Storrs to DE

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
[

If Lauren doesn't choose UCONN does that mean she doesn't want to win a NC? Maybe she chooses Baylor because it is a top basketball program that she would like to lead to a NC, is in a Big 5 conference, is close enough for her parents and siblings to drive in to watch every home game in person, is a Baptist university with strong religious ideas, has a great football team that adds immeasurable excitement to campus life.

What_s_going_on_in_this_thread_nope_nevermind_3.png

Is Cox a Southern Baptist? If so... then I can see why she would be interested in Baylor. If she is Catholic.... wouldnt that seem to favor ND ?

Reaction Score
I would not be surprised at all to see her land at ND. That would really hurt after losing Turner to Muffet.
That thought has been running through my mind as well as we've engaged in this discussion. We're both so sure that what we have to offer is too temping for Ms. Cox to ignore, but ND has a combination of strengths that might land her in South Bend.

By the way, I'm happy to have voices on the board who are not preaching to the choir. To me your comments are enthusiastic, but not offensive. We are all WCBB fans and emphatically supporting our programs is good for the sport.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
To me your comments are enthusiastic, but not offensive. We are all WCBB fans and emphatically supporting our programs is good for the sport.

Enthusiastically and very repetitively supporting Baylor in a thread about Ms. Cox's official visit to Connecticut is offensive and displays a lack of respect for the purposes and participants on this board.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
A little Baylor talk goes a long way. A judicious amount of such chatter should be respectfully introduced to threads then let go, IMO. But, I think ETT got the message and won't have anything more to add to this UConn thread.

Reaction Score
Hjoerring:

Er du dansker? Hvis jeg skriver pa dansk, kan du forstar mig?

hjoerring said:
Thanks for your kind notes; however, I have a few disclaimers. One, it was German and not French, although it is a question of the period. Perhaps you were thnking of the emergence of the Bourgeoise. Proximity is tricky. Yes, Danish, Swedish and Norw. are similarly written, but the spoken languages are very different. There are also many regional dialects in the above countries that have given rise to standard danish/swedish, etc. And you know of course that the Americas is more then the USA- so proximity hasn't helped there (also with the presence of Spansk. speaking people) Also, the Brits are worst then the Americans in the learning of a new language, hopeless I would say. Of course I hinted at the relation bet power and language in my first post. That is coming back to haunt the English speakers as the world changes. In Scandinavia, all kids starting in public schools (pre-gymnasium/hs) must be proficient in Eng and Ger, and all Gymnasium/HS graduating students must sit for both a written and oral exam. in 3 major languages. At the Univ here you risk being asked to read materials in these languages. During my time at Uconn (and elsewhere- including the so-called elite schools) I was taken back by the many students who had 3 years of Spans/Fren and were unable to comm or read anything. That was something that stood out- but the profs were not all that diff. I'm not a language person, but it is now commonplace that the learning and speaking of a language is a complex matter. The grammar that you guys are obsessed with tricky: too many students are leaving the public schools with sloppy writing skills. That is a societal problem. I have read about Univ students who are leaving with a degree and cannot put their thoughts on paper without help. The U.S will have to correct this real fast. My daughter who was an xchange student in China (1st yr gym student), came back and was surprised about how advanced her fellow Chinese students were across the board. And were fellow Danish students were not idiots. In fact, we hosted a Chinese students here and his English was very good- even if it were Edwardian.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Well Geno has done everything he can do to land Cox. A trip to a packed house at First Nite the unbelievable trophy and banner room the aphnosphere in Gampel were all about UConn BB not football. UConn WCBB has nothing to sell. To see it up close and be part of it as a teenager has to be overwhelming. Kinda like a little kid in a candy shop with all her favorite candies. Now while every other school sells on near capacity crowds at football games the bottom line is shes is a BB star. Her BB experience at UConn is second to none. Her decision will come in a few weeks. I think it will be very difficult for her to say No to UConn however it could happen for reasons other then BB. There are very few players who can change a program...must get players. I think for UConn Lauren is one that is a must get. If she doesn't come to UConn Geno will still have the best team in WCBB. Cox will give him the biggest edge and for Lauren the experience and development will be beyond anything she's ever dreamed. It will be hard for her to forget her experience at UConn. I am sure her first impression will last a ling time no matter what he decision is. There is nothing like it. Now we wait and see.

Reaction Score
I don't think Cox is a must get. Like Geno told Stewie, he'll still win championships - with or without her.

Reaction Score
So you consider Ann Strother a failure? These are young women who need to be viewed as more than title producers. I haven't considered a single Baylor player a loser. I appreciate the effort they put forth to represent the university.
Ann Strother won NC her freshmen and sophomore years.

JS

Reaction Score
Message received. I will take my enthusiasm on this subject to the Baylor board, where I agree in belongs. I am sure that Cox found her UCONN visit to be quite impressive and getting to see First Night was quite an experience.

Ha ha. We know you were just putting our welcome to visitors through a stress test.

Clever formula:

1. Make the Baylor recruiting case;

2. in prolonged fashion;

3. on the UConn board;

4. for a top recruit;

5. who has UConn and Baylor as probably two of her three finalists;

6. at a time of maximum sensitivity (while she's here and about to go to Baylor, then decide).

How'd we do? Well . . . it's still there . . .

photo-792807.JPG

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Interesting to note that this is the 11th anniversary of the last recruit to arrive at Uconn who would leave after four years without at least one NC. And dating back to 1991 there have only been the 1995 and 2004 classes for which that is true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom