Lauren Cox to Visit on First Night | Page 14 | The Boneyard

Lauren Cox to Visit on First Night

Status
Not open for further replies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Ann Strother won an NC in 2003 with DT. Famous (to UCONN fans) lip reading right after they beat TN for the NC:

Ann: "I can't believe it!"
DT: "Believe it!"

Thank you for the correction.

I

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Should be interesting to hear her decision. She may very well consider a national title to be the most important thing, much like EDD. It's a much farther drive from Stoors to Waco than from Stoors to DE

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Ann Strother won 2 national championships in 2003 and 2004. Wouldn't want to shortchange Annie.

Carry on.

I loved Strother. I watched her many times while she was in high school as her school was a suburb of Denver.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Ann Strother won an NC in 2003 with DT. Famous (to UCONN fans) lip reading right after they beat TN for the NC:

Pretty sure Annie won two NCs...2003 and 2004. In fact, I think the only class that didn't win a NC since the 2000 class was the class that entered the year after Diana left, so 2008?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

I had her down for none and you had her down for 1.
Looks like we both failed on this one.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Pretty sure Annie won two NCs...2003 and 2004. In fact, I think the only class that didn't win a NC since the 2000 class was the class that entered the year after Diana left, so 2008?

Yet FAR from failures.

Reaction Score
So you consider Ann Strother a failure? These are young women who need to be viewed as more than title producers. I haven't considered a single Baylor player a loser. I appreciate the effort they put forth to represent the university.
Ann was a part of two National Championships. Uconn, despite how much we might hope, will not win every NC. But a girl choosing Storrs is more likely to be part of one than not. Maya and Tina got two. Kelly got two. Sue got two, and this group and Dianna have gotten three.

Ann Strother is anything but a loser, and every top ranked HS player who chose Uconn in the last twenty years has left here with at least one. No other program can come close to making that claim.

Lauren may choose Baylor (is the Baptist connection important to her?) and if she does I'll wish her well. But if she thinks that NC's are more important than cheering on her P-5 football team, then we should be hearing from her soon.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
If you make note I said "add to her desire." There are many factors that players consider when deciding on a college. Watch a big time football game (not AAC, obviously) and look at the camaraderie it creates. The feeling you get in that environment is hard to match.
Sure, it might "add to her desire". I went to a Big 12 school. I'm also from Texas, like Lauren. I get the whole football thing. And if that is what tips the scales in Baylor's favor, then good for you guys, and you should thank Art Briles. Personally, if I'm Lauren, I would look at the development of players like Dolson and Stewie and compare that to the development of Griner. And compare Final Fours and National Championships. But that's just what I'd do, maybe she will compare football teams.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
One more quick side point on Strother: Her offensive contribution in the 'o3 title game was immense, overshadowed only by You Know Who. Her free throws at the end put UCONN in the driver's seat for good.

Not bad for a freshman.

Reaction Score
[

If all that mattered to recruits was winning a NC then UCONN would get the top 3 or 4 ranked players in every class. Remember Diamond DeShields. And when she decided to leave UNC did she transfer to UCONN.
Best recollection was that UConn did recruit, among others, Deshields. As I recall a major factor for Diamond was the scholarship offers that were made to some number (I forget how many, may have been 3) of Diamonds close friends. At the time UConn was not interested in any of those women and were never going to offer them scholarships. After her freshman year Deshields made the choice to leave UNC and after some weeks of speculation she was offered a deal at Tenn. where not so coincidentally another very close friend of hers was going to sign. To the best of my information UConn was no longer interested in Deshields when she made that choice. And if Geno wasn't interested there simply was not going to be an offer.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Sure, it might "add to her desire". I went to a Big 12 school. I'm also from Texas, like Lauren. I get the whole football thing. And if that is what tips the scales in Baylor's favor, then good for you guys, and you should thank Art Briles. Personally, if I'm Lauren, I would look at the development of players like Dolson and Stewie and compare that to the development of Griner. And compare Final Fours and National Championships. But that's just what I'd do, maybe she will compare football teams.
Good point. The development of the bigs is a major selling point for UCONN. You've got Geno, CD, and Marisa with a great track record. Also, Geno moves them around, low and high (bigs, not CD and Marisa). Also, there will be lots of opportunities for playing time at the 4/5.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Yep. Imagine how much more deadly Griner would have been with a 15 foot shot like Stef's.

Last edited:

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I'm sure those kids do feel that they have failed, in a way. They probably go there with the goal to win a national championship, and if they don't, then they have failed to achieve that goal.

Luckily, there are only a small handful of classes that haven't won a NC :)
As it happens, I was thinking of this earlier tonight. I can only think of two since the first championship: '99 and '08 (college).

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I didn't get in on this when it first may have started but it seems like there are a lot of people beating a dead horse here! Since I have come on board well over a few years ago I haven't witnessed a lot of criticism of posters grammar to any great extent. Why has this now seemingly taken on a life of it's own? That may be worse than the original criticism. Why can't we just let it go and focus on the purpose of this site which is to share basketball interests and comments, right???? I came here today focused on hearing some news on what type of visit Ms. Cox had and instead hear this punctuality garbage and criticism of same! I know I'm certainly not alone in solely being interested in the point of view of fellow posters but this has grown into a very unwelcome off topic for me!
people are now scared to "right" because they may now be wrong...

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I think that if Cox leaves UCONN feeling like it is the place for her that she will cancel her Baylor visit She has been around the Baylor program for some time now and probably doesn't need another visit to know if that is where she wants to be. She has some excellent programs to choose from.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Best recollection was that UConn did recruit, among others, Deshields. As I recall a major factor for Diamond was the scholarship offers that were made to some number (I forget how many, may have been 3) of Diamonds close friends. At the time UConn was not interested in any of those women and were never going to offer them scholarships. After her freshman year Deshields made the choice to leave UNC and after some weeks of speculation she was offered a deal at Tenn. where not so coincidentally another very close friend of hers was going to sign. To the best of my information UConn was no longer interested in Deshields when she made that choice. And if Geno wasn't interested there simply was not going to be an offer.

That was my entire point. Sometimes there are other factors in a recruit's mind other than national championships.

Baylor has only had 6 classes since 2002 that left without a title so it is not out of the realm of possibility that the number 1 recruit could help Baylor win another title.

Last edited:

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Permit two thoughts about Lauren's pending decision. First, about the dozens of speculators who see her "leaning" one way or another (a thought I have posted before):

"Those who don't know, talk; those who know, don't talk."

Second, my opinion of Geno's seating plan for special guests at First Night. Using poker parlance, He "shoved his whole stack in" when he seated Lauren with her possible future teammates: Chrystal, Molly, Kyla, and Andra. And had them photographed together. A master stroke. No wonder he is such a great closer! :)

spell check, you should know how to spell the players names before posting :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom