Lauren Cox: game results, recruiting news | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Lauren Cox: game results, recruiting news

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
4/15 update - rumor

An insider at the OU Sooner board has apparently confirmed a post by a Sooner fan that Oklahoma is no longer on Cox' list of potential schools. Before this confirmation, another poster followed up the original post saying that not only is OU off her list but so are two others (Tenn, A&M), leaving UConn, ND, Texas, Baylor, South Carolina, and Louisville.

Here's the thread:

http://ouhoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35173

Interesting. I know it's a fan board but they are closer to the subject at hand than we are. The general consensus is that it's between Texas, Baylor and UConn.
I'll take those odds.

Reaction Score
She has done her homework. The list includes the five best coaches.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Judging from what I've read from sources all over the internet, nothing official of course, Texas is the favorite...

But...
1. Never count out UCONN/Auriemma
2. Baylor is really deep at the post, and they're young.. I don't think she goes there.
3. I personally think she ends up at Notre Dame..
4. South Carolina and Louisville are the darkhorses... SC's big advantage is that offensively they're all about feeding the bigs in Columbia and they love rotating them in and out. Don't sleep on SC here.

HGN

Reaction Score
If all this is all true.........Her remaining list is now workable. She can now take her "Official " five visits to the out of State schools , and drive to visit Univ. of Texas.

Reaction Score
Just read a few interesting lines on the Oklahoma U. women's basketball message board:

"If we could just get one of their (UConn's) top six it could change our program. They're going to lose Mosqueda-Lewis and still be a steamroller. I've been in love with that Jefferson since she stepped on their campus.
Sucks for ND. They worked so hard to be the one to step in front of the bus." :)
----------------------------------------------------------

Oops. I accidentally posted this on the wrong thread. :(

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The 6-foot-4 junior center from Flower Mound, Texas, and the No. 1-rated recruit in the Class of 2016 could still stay in Texas, but if that’s her choice her destination will be Waco.

Cox has narrowed her list from nine to six, her father, Dennis, confirmed Wednesday. She has eliminated Oklahoma, Texas, and Texas A&M. Her final six (in alphabetical order) are Baylor, Connecticut, Louisville, Notre Dame, South Carolina, and Tennessee.

Cox has made unofficial visits to Baylor, Louisville, and Notre Dame. UConn and Tennessee did home visits last month. Her father added that she will not take official visits until the fall.

http://snyuconn.com/uconn/top-junior-cox-has-uconn-on-list-of-six/

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
The insider only confirmed OU being off the list. It was another poster who claimed it was down to six (correct) but he/she got one wrong. It's Texas not Tennessee which she removed. Maybe the poster only got initials and just made a mistake. Either way, pretty good inside info there.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Judging from what I've read from sources all over the internet, nothing official of course, Texas is the favorite...

Yeah, Texas was bandied about often as a favorite and yet didn't make her final six. People have been assuming for months that Cox would never leave the state. Not sure either assumption had much backing it.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Yeah, Texas was bandied about often as a favorite and yet didn't make her final six. People have been assuming for months that Cox would never leave the state. Not sure either assumption had much backing it.

I agree with this.. I thought she was leaving the state all along. I can see her ending up at any of the other schools not named Baylor. Does she want to play with 4 other young posts at Baylor? Maybe she does. We'll find out soon.

I think she goes to Notre Dame.. but Louisville scares me here.

Reaction Score
Early favorite Texas out of it! :D Still hope for UConn. Perhaps that 51-pt. Longhorn destruction in the Sweet 16 factored into Lauren's decision.

Reaction Score
This was posted on the Texas Board late last night...
April 15th, 2015 @ 10:44 pm

by Carl Adamec, sny.com

"Much message board scuttlebutt and rumors surrounding Lauren Cox’s recruitment had her staying in her native Texas to attend college. The 6-foot-4 junior center from Flower Mound, Texas, and the No. 1-rated recruit in the Class of 2016 could still stay in Texas, but if that’s her choice her destination will be Waco.

Cox has narrowed her list from nine to six, her father, Dennis, confirmed Wednesday.

She has eliminated Oklahoma, Texas, and Texas A&M.

Her final six (in alphabetical order) are Baylor, Connecticut, Louisville, Notre Dame, South Carolina, and Tennessee.

Cox has made unofficial visits to Baylor, Louisville, and Notre Dame. UConn and Tennessee did home visits last month. Her father added that she will not take official visits until the fall.

As a junior, Cox was named the Gatorade Player of the Year for Texas as she averaged 21.7 points, 15.4 rebounds, and 5.2 blocked shots. In six state tournament games, she averaged 27.7 points, 15.3 rebounds, and 6.5 blocked shots. She had six straight double-doubles including a pair of triple-doubles as Flower Mound reached the state semifinals for the first time. Cox, who will turn 17 on Monday, will attend USA Basketball’s U-19 national team trials in Colorado Springs next month. She already owns gold medals with the 2013 U-16 FIBA Americas team and the 2014 U-17 FIBA world championships team.

According to a recruiting source, UConn has no official visits set up for the spring. The Huskies already have two oral commitments from the Class of 2016 from Crystal Dangerfield (5-5 guard, Murfreesboro, Tennessee) and Kyla Irwin (6-2 forward, State College, Pennsylvania).

Reaction Score
God I hope she has been paying attention to the behavior of Mulkey and McGraw...and what poor sports they are... Especially when they lose....

Reaction Score
I agree with this.. I thought she was leaving the state all along. I can see her ending up at any of the other schools not named Baylor. Does she want to play with 4 other young posts at Baylor? Maybe she does. We'll find out soon.

I think she goes to Notre Dame.. but Louisville scares me here.

Her game is a lot like another ND great, Ruth Riley.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I actually think the Riley comparison is a pretty good one. Cox is a bit more athletic, imo.

Reaction Score
Why are you afraid of Louisville? They lost to strong teams, except for Virginia. However, some of their wins over much weaker competition were far from impressive. They lose five seniors: Smith, Vails, Schimmel, Dyer and Hammond. Yes, they have a lot of young talent, but UConn has even more young talent. Who on Louisville is matching up with Morgan, Kia, Gabby, Natalie, Katie Lou, Napheesa and De'Janae? Even with Cox the Cardinals are not winning. Jeff is more a practitioner of football not basketball.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I actually think the Riley comparison is a pretty good one. Cox is a bit more athletic, imo.
The comparison is definitely an accurate one but in bad form-carma. Why compare someone you want to come to UCONN to a ND great when you could just have easily comapred her to a UCONN great. Power of positive thinking. Will it work? We'll never know but why chance it.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Why are you afraid of Louisville? They lost to strong teams, except for Virginia. However, some of their wins over much weaker competition were far from impressive. They lose five seniors: Smith, Vails, Schimmel, Dyer and Hammond. Yes, they have a lot of young talent, but UConn has even more young talent. Who on Louisville is matching up with Morgan, Kia, Gabby, Natalie, Katie Lou, Napheesa and De'Janae? Even with Cox the Cardinals are not winning. Jeff is more a practitioner of football not basketball.
Wait who is afraid of Louisville?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
If Louisville gets Cox to go with Durr, Moore, and Hines-Allen they'll be incredibly dangerous. They also have a bunch of other top-40 recruits in the pipeline. Walz has already taken two overachieving teams to the finals. Don't underestimate what he could do with elite talent.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
If Louisville gets Cox to go with Durr, Moore, and Hines-Allen they'll be incredibly dangerous. They also have a bunch of other top-40 recruits in the pipeline. Walz has already taken two overachieving teams to the finals. Don't underestimate what he could do with elite talent.
I agree.

Reaction Score
At 15 she may have said she would not go out of state, but in a span of 2 years the whole universe changes for a a teenager.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I agree. But the word "Afraid" was used in Chrisaran's post. Don't see afraid, I see someone that might be competitive with UCONN.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Really cool that Carl Adamec got the interview that revealed Cox's updated list of schools. Carl has previously interviewed Lauren and her father and clearly has established a nice relationship with them. They could have reached out to a local reporter but instead chose to talk to member of the Connecticut media. I don't think it means she's coming to UConn, but it reflects nicely on Carl and his work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom