last time we lost a top recruit to Squid at the very end | The Boneyard

last time we lost a top recruit to Squid at the very end

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
we went on to spank UK in the FF (as usual) and win the NC

we lost Knight AND we landed "the wrong Lamb", yet we wouldn't change a thing now would we?

Squid needs a talent advantage to succeed, and he still falls short far more often than not

We're more about blue collar than blue chips anyhow. I love our roster, I can't wait for 2017/2018. Hopefully we get a chance to send Squid and UK home, yet again, it's tradition

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
We need to rehire Archibald and Sellers as recruiters. Those guys are miles ahead of the guys we have recruiting now.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
We need to rehire Archibald and Sellers as recruiters. Those guys are miles ahead of the guys we have recruiting now.

Your hot take because we missed on one player is foolish and makes you look dull. Calhoun only pulled in 3 guys ranked higher than Diallo across 30 years, and because Ollie lost out to Calipari once you want to overhaul the whole staff? You don't get it.

Reaction Score
We need to stop have fringe-tourny/NIT/most likely not in the tournament seasons first off. Kids don't want to come to a team that isn't successful, it's just common sense. Sure we need better recruiters because KO can't be everywhere, but we need to start winning.

willie99

Reaction Score

our recruiting classes this year and next are as good as we get, I like them both

the one excuse I will give to Ollie is this, since 2014 we've turned over our roster every year, in large part because of graduate transfers

I thought this year was going to be special, but injuries have derailed that. There's no reason we're not back in the mix next year

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Your hot take because we missed on one player is foolish and makes you look dull. Calhoun only pulled in 3 guys ranked higher than Diallo across 30 years, and because Ollie lost out to Calipari once you want to overhaul the whole staff? You don't get it.
Some people don't think straight when panic sets in - c'mon Stair you know these guys

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
LOL, I'm thinking you're being funny, right? Because they were crucified for that Shabazz, Wolf, Giffey, Bradley, Lamb, Olander class.
The key is the miles comment.....

Reaction Score
our recruiting classes this year and next are as good as we get, I like them both

the one excuse I will give to Ollie is this, since 2014 we've turned over our roster every year, in large part because of graduate transfers

I thought this year was going to be special, but injuries have derailed that. There's no reason we're not back in the mix next year
Seriously, as good as they get? As good as Kentucky, Duke, NC, and Kansas? Do we have a 5 star coming? There is a reason we might not be back in the mix, what about shooting, especially 3 point shooting? Our 5 is Enoch? Sure we are bound to be better but a real power? We still have major recruiting needs.

Reaction Score

Not exactly feeling it with the current class. Polley and Carlton look to have good potential but MAL is the only legit "big" recruit. We all had much higher hopes for this class. Oh well, need to still fill this class out and aim our sights on the '18 guys.

Reaction Score
Seriously, as good as they get? As good as Kentucky, Duke, NC, and Kansas? Do we have a 5 star coming? There is a reason we might not be back in the mix, what about shooting, especially 3 point shooting? Our 5 is Enoch? Sure we are bound to be better but a real power? We still have major recruiting needs.
He said, as good as "we" get. Last year's was, this year not even close.

willie99

Reaction Score

as good as our classes ever get

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
as good as our classes ever get
That's hyperbolic. It's a very good two-year haul of new blood entering the program, but on paper it's not quite up there with 2008+2009, or even 2009+2010.

willie99

Reaction Score
This year's class was 14th, and that doesn't include Larrier who transferred in.

Next year we have a 4 star coming in, and I think Carlton may be a steal too

These are the type of kids we've won with historically. Solid players who develop.

We almost never land burger boys, we get very few five stars, we never have the best class in the country. Yet we have the most titles since 1999.

I like our roster for next year

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Seriously, as good as they get?

Don't you read what the guy said instead of misquoting him.

"our recruiting classes this year and next are as good as we get, I like them both"

Big difference in meaning there.

Reaction Score
This year's class was 14th, and that doesn't include Larrier who transferred in.

These are the type of kids we've won with historically. Solid players who develop.

We almost never land burger boys, we get very few five stars, we never have the best class in the country. Yet we have the most titles since 1999.

No big deal, but I think we were the 9th recruiting class

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
I want to overhaul the recruiting staff because we have guards who can't shoot or dribble. Big men who can't hit layups or rebound.
And most have no BB instincts. Not to mention the three with chronic injuries.
The scary thought thought is that this new recruiting class will be just another version of Facey, Jackson and Purvis.

Reaction Score
Some of you are misremembering recruiting under Calhoun. While UConn never consistently landed 5 stars or McDonald's All-Americans, it was common to have multiple 4 stars in a class, along with some 3-star, diamond-in-the-rough recruits sprinkled in.

The classes the past few years have been extremely top-heavy, which, not coincidentally, has made the lineups extremely top-heavy. Next year should be the most complete lineup in awhile (between talent, experience, and continuity), but I'm going to wait to see how it all comes together before having any lofty expectations.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

I think last year's class was 9th and it was higher until Durham suffered the ACL injury and didn't play most of the season.

This years class was trending higher until KO pulled the Zach Brown scholarship. That loss was far more impactful than Diallo.

The first year's recruiting was impacted severely by the APR sanctions and the sudden retirement of JC. This resulted in KO needing to recruit bigs who were new to the game. The second year the APR sanctions were still causing problems, necessitating KO to rely on the grad transfer route.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom