Last link to Memorial Stadium going, going ... | The Boneyard

Last link to Memorial Stadium going, going ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I was on campus last Saturday and it looked like the Stadium Facilities building was about to be demolished (it probably is by now). That was where the locker rooms were, along with the bathrooms for Memorial Stadium. If I remember there were just troughs in there right up until the end (a la Yale Bowl). I don't know what was its use in the last 10 years.

Progress is what it is, but I really do miss games on campus.

Reaction Score
Glad I got to see a game there back in the 90's.
Yes same here, saw Georgia Tech play there, also saw HS Class S basketball tourney in 1960 in the Field House along with the MBB team playing Providence College (Dirt floor inside the track). Not a grad but put my daughter thru, class of 2005. Boy have we come a long way.

Reaction Score
Campus in 2014, is nearly unrecognizable from 1994, except for the long standing icons - and that doesn't include Gampel - basically the church on the corner of N. Eaglevile, the gold dome of Wilbur Cross, and the fields of horsebarn hill, are the only things that are recognizable, IMNSHO when you come in that way, and from any other direction, it's completely, entirely unrecognizeable based on what it looked like 20 years ago. Ten years back from that, 1984, 30 years ago, the current campus might as well be on the moon.

The school has had quite a growth curve. Unparalled really, I'm not sure if there is another state land grant university in the country that can claim anything historically close to UCONN in past 30 years.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
Campus in 2014, is nearly unrecognizable from 1994, except for the long standing icons - and that doesn't include Gampel - basically the church on the corner of N. Eaglevile, the gold dome of Wilbur Cross, and the fields of horsebarn hill, are the only things that are recognizable, IMNSHO when you come in that way, and from any other direction, it's completely, entirely unrecognizeable based on what it looked like 20 years ago. Ten years back from that, 1984, 30 years ago, the current campus might as well be on the moon.

The school has had quite a growth curve. Unparalled really, I'm not sure if there is another state land grant university in the country that can claim anything historically close to UCONN in past 30 years.

they relocated the rock from in front of northwest quad/Frats for goodness sake...

Reaction Score
Back in the late 60s, we use to love it when there would be huge baskets of apples sitting on the floor just picked from the UConn orchards waiting for us after practice

Reaction Score
The football program was in trailers, and the library was in a plastic bag at one point.
Man, I never saw the library without the giant condom in all my years attending.

When I saw it last summer wit my daughter while college visiting I honestly thought it was a new building!

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
Man, I never saw the library without the giant condom in all my years attending.

When I saw it last summer wit my daughter while college visiting I honestly thought it was a new building!

Ahh yes.. The Homer Simpson library... memories of grad school...good times.

Reaction Score

What kind of real Husky leaves Arjona and Monteith off the list of long standing campus icons?

Reaction Score
Can't forget my stomping grounds on East Campus - Buckley and Sprague....

Reaction Score
Sitting in the last row of seats at Memorial in the 1970's, looking east, there was a parking lot, Hillside Road, a field, another field, Hawley Armory, Mirror Lake, then some changing trees to the horizon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom