Lasan Kromah commits to Uconn | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Lasan Kromah commits to Uconn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You and I have very different standards for fairness. I think this sends an appropriate message. This was not Rashad popping out of a bush in a hockey-mask. Domestic violence is not a joke. Getting a full ride to college is not a birthright -- he did not fulfill his obligations of representing his university and he is paying the price (or -- he doesn't and good riddens).

I feel he paid his debt with his lengthy suspension and his subsequent rehabilitation/ actions following the incident. I believe he was honored scholastically and made amends with the person who the altercation took place with. So then you ask what is enough punishment--for a man who has been a part of this program for 3 years that came from a different country to play/educate here, that is massive commitment and not being taken into account. I do not condone what happened like anyone else here but I feel that we have a justice system that should take precedent with final say.

Reaction Score
^ Would it be too much to ask for that Kormah's brother is right about him? We deserve a break- or two.
Not his brother lol. My brother played against him in high school and aau. You guys are gonna be suprised

Reaction Score
As someone who graduated from GW on Sunday, UConn isn't getting a lot here. Kromah was good my/his freshman year, but really hasn't shown much since then. In fact, GW played better after he lost his starting spot.

Also, I personally don't think he has great ball handling skills. We were one of the worst ball handling teams in the country as evidenced by our high turnover rate.

This puts me in a bit of a weird position. It's going to feel weird cheering for a guy who transferred out of my alma mater.
He does need to work on his ball handling skills and his consistency. But you wont find anyone putting up big scoring numbers in Lonergan's system. The motion offense. your leading scorer averaged 12. As a freshman he was primarily a shooter. Now he can slash and defend better. Do you not think he will thrive in the uconn/hobbs system??? Also they did not have a better record when the lineups switched. although the schedule was tougher. savage was never a difference maker. and why would pellom and davis transfer also???

Reaction Score
Calhoun will be ready by the beginning of the season, but championship rings are not given to only the starting five. If Kromah is as good as you say, he will get quality minutes at multiple positions. As I recall, everyone on the team (even the student managers) gets a piece of the Final Four net.
I just dont see him as being better than lasan. In these summer leagues in the dc area i see him give some of the best guards in the area the fits. When i watch gw games it looks like he is playing with shackles on. Hobbs is gonna let him loose. His aau coach is an assistant at indiana and they wanted him so bad. he and oladipo were the backcourt for the aau team

Reaction Score
You really can't say it any better than that. We can sit here and speculate about how talented Kromah is or if he's worth not having another rebounder in Wolf or if we need the depth.

But Ollie saw something and decided our team was better with him than without him, and no offense to any of the posters here, but I have a sneaking suspicion this guy knows a thing or two about talented guards. I heard he may even have played with a couple over the years.

Ten toes in.
I agree. I've watched this kid a lot in this area which is a basketball hotbed. And i always thought he was underrated. Im excited for him. And the husky fans should be too.

Reaction Score
Bottom line, he is better than almost all the freshman in the country. I look at it like we just reeled in an immediate impact freshman. That's good for the team.

Reaction Score
GW played better after Savage replaced him.
actually had a worse record and lasan was still the second leading scorer. and played well against butler and st louis. his problem was inconsistency. but then again he wasnt getting consistency with the coach u say he didnt get better but he has a higher free throw and field goal percentage last year than he did as a freshman

Reaction Score
I just dont see him as being better than lasan. In these summer leagues in the dc area i see him give some of the best guards in the area the fits. When i watch gw games it looks like he is playing with shackles on. Hobbs is gonna let him loose. His aau coach is an assistant at indiana and they wanted him so bad. he and oladipo were the backcourt for the aau team

How much of Calhoun have you watched?

The kid is money from intermediate range. He doesn't miss.

Reaction Score
Bottom line, he is better than almost all the freshman in the country. I look at it like we just reeled in an immediate impact freshman. That's good for the team.
exactly. And i think he's beter than most sophomores too. thats why i think he'll take calhouns spot. uconn only had four good players last year. Gave those guys a lot of shots

Reaction Score
How much of Calhoun have you watched?

The kid is money from intermediate range. He doesn't miss.

He is. Thats true. So is lasan. and i think calhoun can jump higher. but lasan just knows how to score. anything you give him he can score. any defense. and his man on man defense is good. But mid range is on point also.

Reaction Score
He does need to work on his ball handling skills and his consistency. But you wont find anyone putting up big scoring numbers in Lonergan's system. The motion offense. your leading scorer averaged 12. As a freshman he was primarily a shooter. Now he can slash and defend better. Do you not think he will thrive in the uconn/hobbs system??? Also they did not have a better record when the lineups switched. although the schedule was tougher. savage was never a difference maker. and why would pellom and davis transfer also???
I think that some kids thrive under certain systems and can regress under other systems. I do not feel this is UCONN "throwing a Hobbs player a bone"- they see something in this kid and think he can come in and help out. I also have to believe they feel they can do a better job getting the most out of him vs the staff at GW.
Just like players can make huge jumps (such as DD at the end of last year) when their confidence improves the staff most likely thinks this way about Kromah. Will he be a star? I don't think so- will he be a starter- not likely. But he most likely will be a upgrade back up for Boat, Bazz and Calhoun and that will keep them healthy over the course of the year.
5th year seniors with a chance to shine give 110% and this kid seems to have been somewhat marginalized while at GW. If he has a chip on his shoulder he could be a 10-12 point guy that can play good D and that would be fantastic.

WE ARE SO DOOMED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
Hey upstater just got a word from a bird that Kromah's cousin was working him out yesterday. Does the name Austin Freeman ring a bell???

Reaction Score
Hey upstater just got a word from a bird that Kromah's cousin was working him out yesterday. Does the name Austin Freeman ring a bell???

Yes... I have heard of Freeman.

Reaction Score
I think that some kids thrive under certain systems and can regress under other systems. I do not feel this is UCONN "throwing a Hobbs player a bone"- they see something in this kid and think he can come in and help out. I also have to believe they feel they can do a better job getting the most out of him vs the staff at GW.
Just like players can make huge jumps (such as DD at the end of last year) when their confidence improves the staff most likely thinks this way about Kromah. Will he be a star? I don't think so- will he be a starter- not likely. But he most likely will be a upgrade back up for Boat, Bazz and Calhoun and that will keep them healthy over the course of the year.
5th year seniors with a chance to shine give 110% and this kid seems to have been somewhat marginalized while at GW. If he has a chip on his shoulder he could be a 10-12 point guy that can play good D and that would be fantastic.

WE ARE SO DOOMED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well i think he will start. And if not he'll have the ultimate greenlight and average more like 14-16 a game. maybe more. im telling you guys this kid is good. im not a scout or anything but people in my area know. Also i think napier wont shoot as much this year. I think he'll try to be more of a traditional point guard which is something i've been reading that nba scouts want to see

Reaction Score
Well i think he will start. And if not he'll have the ultimate greenlight and average more like 14-16 a game. maybe more. im telling you guys this kid is good. im not a scout or anything but people in my area know. Also i think napier wont shoot as much this year. I think he'll try to be more of a traditional point guard which is something i've been reading that nba scouts want to see

We're all hoping Napier shoots more. Look up his numbers. He barely shot in the first half of games. Assist ratio is high. Napier is very far from a gunner. Kid needs to shoot more.

Reaction Score
We're all hoping Napier shoots more. Look up his numbers. He barely shot in the first half of games. Assist ratio is high. Napier is very far from a gunner. Kid needs to shoot more.
Maybe ur right. Just read some scouting report about him need ing to be more of a traditional point guard. I dont think he's a gunner. I think he's a top 5 pg in college and probly has the best handles in the country

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Can the guy defend big guards? If he can, that fills a need.

Reaction Score
Not the way I hear it. It could have been way worse.

That's my understanding as well.

Regarding, Lasan, I look at it this way. For reasons that everyone has already mentioned (crowded positions, playing time, etc.) there's no reason to take him unless someone thinks he's really good. That someone is probably Hobbs, who is pretty familiar with him and has a history of being a pretty good judge of backcourt talent.

Reaction Score
exactly. And i think he's beter than most sophomores too. thats why i think he'll take calhouns spot. uconn only had four good players last year. Gave those guys a lot of shots
Dude, there is ABSOLUTELY no way this kid takes Omar Calhoun's starting job from him. Before injuring his wrist, Calhoun was really starting to shine. There is no way KO will chance endangering Calhoun's confidence or development by having come off the bench behind a transfer from GW!

I'm excited to see how this kid can help but Omar Calhoun's starting job is etched in stone.

Reaction Score
I like the move. We have good guards, but they are small. This gives us an option against bigger guards. His scoring is a plus, but his defense is going to be the biggest plus. The experience factor is good, but our guards are a year older too. It could set up a nice rotation for Ollie to play with.

Reaction Score
As someone who graduated from GW on Sunday, UConn isn't getting a lot here. Kromah was good my/his freshman year, but really hasn't shown much since then. In fact, GW played better after he lost his starting spot.

Also, I personally don't think he has great ball handling skills. We were one of the worst ball handling teams in the country as evidenced by our high turnover rate.

This puts me in a bit of a weird position. It's going to feel weird cheering for a guy who transferred out of my alma mater.
But GW, I guess you weren't aware that he's going to take Calhoun's starting job and average 14-16 ppg? Bahahahaha

Mike Honcho

HU5KIES!
Reaction Score
I feel he paid his debt with his lengthy suspension and his subsequent rehabilitation/ actions following the incident. I believe he was honored scholastically and made amends with the person who the altercation took place with. So then you ask what is enough punishment--for a man who has been a part of this program for 3 years that came from a different country to play/educate here, that is massive commitment and not being taken into account. I do not condone what happened like anyone else here but I feel that we have a justice system that should take precedent with final say.

Clearly, we do not have all of the facts. I don't agree with your view that the university owes Wolf anything. He came to UConn seeking a higher level of basketball competition and enhanced visibility. Maybe the opportunity to explore America. My point is that his 'massive commitment' is self-imposed.

A scholarship is a privilege, one that he was awarded based on basketball ability but also scholastics and character. You're right -- he has excelled in two of the three areas. But by even putting himself in that situation at 4am, he exhibited poor decision making and compromised the university's trust. The door was not closed on him -- he's got a fair choice. Attend the same university at his own expense. Many other students do this. It also (hopefully) teaches him a powerful lesson. There are consequences to your actions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom