Landycakes Coming Out Of Retirement | The Boneyard

Landycakes Coming Out Of Retirement

Reaction Score
per sources. Supposedly the hasty exit of Nigel de Jong was central to the deal.

Reaction Score
This just in: 33 year old married dude sick of watching House Hunters and changing diapers all day.

Waiting on the fanboys to clamor for his return to USMNT, #10 shirt and captain band

Reaction Score
This just in: 33 year old married dude sick of watching House Hunters and changing diapers all day.

Waiting on the fanboys to clamor for his return to USMNT, #10 shirt and captain band

Oh, god no. And I say that as someone who appreciates his contribution and thought he should have been on the 2014 roster.

Was there ever any real doubt that he just wanted another long vacation?

Reaction Score
Oh, god no. And I say that as someone who appreciates his contribution and thought he should have been on the 2014 roster.

Was there ever any real doubt that he just wanted another long vacation?

I'm surprised it took this long. LA visits KC next weekend and it's a National TV game. I bet they roll him out then.

MLS has been pretty boring this year, this might boost things a bit.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
LD won't make the national squad so long as JK is in charge. The old guard is also on its way out. Right now I'd say Dempsey is 50/50 to play in Russia. Wood is a better option and there are a number of younger guys who have time to make a push.

If LD did have a position it would be Right wing, currently occupied by Zardes and Bedoya. Is 2014 LD better than those two are now? Yes, he was.

You can pencil in Pulisic, at left wing. I don't think even Johnson is moving him out of that spot.

Reaction Score
LD won't make the national squad so long as JK is in charge. The old guard is also on its way out. Right now I'd say Dempsey is 50/50 to play in Russia. Wood is a better option and there are a number of younger guys who have time to make a push.

If LD did have a position it would be Right wing, currently occupied by Zardes and Bedoya. Is 2014 LD better than those two are now? Yes, he was.

You can pencil in Pulisic, at left wing. I don't think even Johnson is moving him out of that spot.

I can't imagine Dempsey being left off the squad for Russia, but if you tell me he comes off the bench as a 30 minute player, that won't shock me. Having said that, it takes more than a good two games without him before he stops being our biggest weapon.

I have no opinion yet on LD's return to the national squad. Let's see him play first. I just hope Wisky takes his heart medication, because I think LD leading the Galaxy to a good finish might be more than he can take.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This is a desperate cry for attention. No coincidence it comes right after the USMNT finds a new star.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
These last two games meant nothing in terms of player rankings. It was T&T and SVG. My take on Dempsey is that he will age rather quickly and that his game hinders the way we want to play with the younger players. He will probably make the squad, and likely start along side Wood, but I don't think he is the answer any longer. The hex will tell the tale.

Reaction Score
Dempsey was our best goal scorer this summer. His technical skills are still all there. He's a shoe in for 2018 if he wants it.

Reaction Score

LD and JK kissed and made up this summer. It's not outside the realm of the possible .

Reaction Score
LD is now the Brett Fave of MLS. I wonder how many times he will do this?

As for 2014, I previously stated he should have made that roster. Even at 75%, he would have been viable as a sub specializing on needing a last minute goal or for his spot kick abilities, basically taking the roles of Wondolowski and Davis. That would have freed a roster spot for substitute holding striker in case (more likely when) for when Jozy went down with an injury.

Should LD be added to the current USMT roster. Uh, no.

Reaction Score
I can't imagine Dempsey being left off the squad for Russia, but if you tell me he comes off the bench as a 30 minute player, that won't shock me. Having said that, it takes more than a good two games without him before he stops being our biggest weapon.

I have no opinion yet on LD's return to the national squad. Let's see him play first. I just hope Wisky takes his heart medication, because I think LD leading the Galaxy to a good finish might be more than he can take.

I just hope you don't get too carried away when you are watching Landycakes in your mancave that's plastered with your autographed Randy Edsall posters.

We haven't even seen him play yet, and it's been 18 months since he played a competitive match. If he's anything more than a super sub then the quality of the league really is crap.

On another note,

It's interesting because the team that just went through the Pre-Hex and the team that will finish the Hexagonal might be drastically different from each other. The team that goes to Russia, even more so.

This very well could be the lineup:

Pulisic Wood Johnson
Hyndman, Bradley, Gooch
Acosta, Brooks, Carter-Vickers, Yedlin
Horvath

Everyone's been hating on Jurgen as if somehow he controls how players progress in their club environments. But we were just waiting for the next generation to break through. I mean if the contrast from Pulisic to the rest of the squad doesn't smack you in the face then you're in denial.

With one or two exceptions, our squad has always been really average. No matter who is managing you're not always going to have program best tournament.

In 2002 we hit it right. Believe me, I was there. Getting Mexico was a gift. We could have beaten Germany or at least gotten to extra time. But remember, Bruce took a better team to Germany in 2006 and failed spectacularly.
'

Reaction Score
LD is now the Brett Fave of MLS. I wonder how many times he will do this?

As for 2014, I previously stated he should have made that roster. Even at 75%, he would have been viable as a sub specializing on needing a last minute goal or for his spot kick abilities, basically taking the roles of Wondolowski and Davis. That would have freed a roster spot for substitute holding striker in case (more likely when) for when Jozy went down with an injury.

Should LD be added to the current USMT roster. Uh, no.

Let's just hope Landycakes doesn't start texting Jenn Sterger.

Reaction Score
So Zoocougar and Ms. Zoocougar lucked into front row seats, thanks to one of my best and oldest friends who is a former Benedictine College soccer legend scoring these tickets through his wife's employer, quite literally next to the LA Galaxy bench. The four of us were sitting so close that we could hear Bruce Arena swearing under his breath.

I know it's just MLS but I still feel pretty fortunate to see live soccer up this close. Our normal seats are 22 rows back which is better in some ways because you can see everything, but front row is pretty cool because you're less than ten feet from the sideline and you can really see all the little things the players do out there when the action is close by.

Unfortunately we were witness to Landycakes' first goal in his second comeback tour. Otherwise it was a good match in a 2-2 draw. Full stadium despite the Chiefs and the Royals playing simultaneously. Amazing that the Chiefs were in the second quarter when the game started and the game still wasn't over when the Sporting game was ended.

The tweet below has some pics that my better half took.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
JK is right about two things. One is that playing time matters. If your aren't playing for your club then you aren't much use to the national side. Second is that Europe >>> MLS.

The trick for US players is to acquire both. There is absolutely a bias against US players.

Reaction Score
JK is right about two things. One is that playing time matters. If your aren't playing for your club then you aren't much use to the national side. Second is that Europe >>> MLS.

The trick for US players is to acquire both. There is absolutely a bias against US players.

I think the bias is well deserved in many cases. For years our players went over there with the wrong mentality, not realizing how cutthroat the environment is over there. MLS absolutely coddles its American stars, middling performances are overlooked and when they get over there they get slapped in the face with reality.

Nobody pointed out Yedlin's defensive liabilities before he left for Spurs. And Brek Shea is a flop.

The guys who made themselves stick over there were mentally tough, and/or went native. Reyna, Dempsey, Hejduk, Keller, Friedel, Cherundolo, Harkes, Wynalda etc.

The younger guys seem to get it however. And they also have benefitted from the mistakes of Landon's generation. Bobby Wood grinded it out in Germany to earn a starting spot at Hamburg. And Pulisic went to Germany with his father and the club even signed his cousin to make him more at home.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Other than naming some of the better players the US has ever fielded, the point has less to do with talent than it does with how rigged the player transfer system is. Agents essentially dicrate were players end up and your pecking order on his roster matters.

The lack of youth development also hurts, but soccer has just as many club footed goons as hockey does. Anyone getting regular call ups in World Cup play for the US, a top 15 squad should be getting more run in the top leagues.

Though pretty much all the US players in the EPL are already fighting relegation.

Reaction Score
Other than naming some of the better players the US has ever fielded, the point has less to do with talent than it does with how rigged the player transfer system is. Agents essentially dicrate were players end up and your pecking order on his roster matters.

The lack of youth development also hurts, but soccer has just as many club footed goons as hockey does. Anyone getting regular call ups in World Cup play for the US, a top 15 squad should be getting more run in the top leagues.

Though pretty much all the US players in the EPL are already fighting relegation.

Well, Guzan is benched now.

Cameron seems to be regular for Stoke and Gooch has been revelation for Sunderland. I think Gooch will be moved to bigger club when Sunderland finally goes down.

I can't think of any other Americans in the EPL. But I think if Hyndman ever gets healthy he should put Jack Wilshere on the bench.

Reaction Score
Cameron effs up a ton for Stoke. That he still gets PT is surprising.

Every time I bother to watch Stoke he is either committing an atrocious foul or blowing the coverage on a set piece. He's so bad at zonal marking I'm surprised that Arsenal hasn't tried to sign him.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Cameron had a brutal game against CP yesterday . . .

I caught part of that. He was pretty much abandoned by his partner. Either that or he wasn't keeping his line. I think it's the former. Stoke does not look good at all. Cameron is the last man before the keeper. It's not good trying to have that man cover three running on goal.

Reaction Score
Landycakes in talks with Salt Lake and a team in the eastern conference.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Landycakes in talks with Salt Lake and a team in the eastern conference.
He's done. Signed with Fox to be an analyst, and is getting involved in an ownership group in San Diego.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom