Laimbeer Angry Over Maya Playing Late in Blowout | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Laimbeer Angry Over Maya Playing Late in Blowout

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What are the dangers of leaving a star player on the court in a blowout? Can you provide evidence that such a player faces a greater risk of injury during the latter stages of a blowout versus other parts of the game?

To suggest that Laimbeer's comments are secondary to why Maya was in the game during a blowout is misguided at best. Reeves clearly had her reasons for playing Maya until there were 3:42 left in the game, and for playing Whalen until there were 4:26 left in the game, and for playing Augustus until there were 4:39 left in the game. If Laimbeer's beef is with Reeves than he should have discussed it with her rather than suggesting that a star player who plays the game the right way should be injured for her coach's decision. His comments were spiteful and unprofessional and he deserves to be reprimanded by the league.

You are probably right in saying there is no evidence that a player faces greater risk of injury during the latter stages of a blowout versus other parts of the game. The better part of an hour has been spent trying to put together the right combinations of words on various search engines to produce some stats on the subject. No success. What one does risk is greater risk of scrutiny, second guessing, needless injury, etc. Why push your luck?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
What are the dangers of leaving a star player on the court in a blowout? Can you provide evidence that such a player faces a greater risk of injury during the latter stages of a blowout versus other parts of the game?
No, BUT, but, you don't compare it to other times in the game. (although one could make a case for more injuries with more tired players, i.e. later in the game) But in this instance you compare playing later in the game to NOT playing later in the game. Hence, yes one's chances of getting injured while NOT playing go down considerably.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
You are probably right in saying there is no evidence that a player faces greater risk of injury during the latter stages of a blowout versus other parts of the game. The better part of an hour has been spent trying to put together the right combinations of words on various search engines to produce some stats on the subject. No success. What one does risk is greater risk of scrutiny, second guessing, needless injury, etc. Why push your luck?

You're right that Reeve opened herself up to second-guessing if an injury had occurred. That's something fans think about; coaches really don't think that way. Reeve was missing one player (Monica Wright) and had two players (McCarville and Brunson) just back from injuries so there were other things going on that may have caused her to leave her three stars in the game longer than some think appropriate.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Benefit of the doubt?

With Laimbeer, there is no doubt. You don't think he said "should"? Of course he did.

And this is what he would do.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Off Topic (slightly)
My wife, attending to some business in Beijing had dinner with a couple who regularly attend Maya's games (in China).
And are completely blown away!

Reaction Score
Any response or comment from WNBA?
Even if the words were transcribed incorrectly, there should at least be a clarification.

You can be sure that the NBA/NFL/NHL/MLB would respond in some way to this story.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Any response or comment from WNBA?
Even if the words were transcribed incorrectly, there should at least be a clarification.

You can be sure that the NBA/NFL/NHL/MLB would respond in some way to this story.

Sounds of silence. Tweets from a few fans and the Minnesota media but nothing from any of the national media types that cover the WNBA. Perhaps the league is investigating. . . quietly.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
He must have said "she could get hurt." Nothing else would make sense....

I agree. My thought when I read the article was that he was either misquoted or misunderstood. Laimbeer may be a lot of things but I don't see him being that stupid.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
Lynx beat NY Liberty (sans Cappie) 88-57. Maya scored 28, including 6-10 on 3-pointers. Don't know if Bill was critical of his own team's poor play or his poor coaching, but he had a lot to say about Cheryl Reeve's decision to play Maya 36 minutes:

"I was a little disappointed when they left Maya Moore in the game to try and get player of the week again when the game was out of control," said Laimbeer, who spent 14 seasons in the NBA and earned a pair of championship rings. "She should get hurt for that."

http://www.foxsportsnorth.com/wnba/...ould-get-hurt-for-?blockID=930635&feedID=3697

Should get hurt? If any team has the players up to that task, it's the Liberty. The teams meet again on August 27.

Dear Bill: Coach your own team.

What an ass!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Laimbeer's post-game quotes were tweeted by a foxsports reporter who was in the interview room:

Phil Ervin@PhilErvin 18 Aug
Inflammatory quote from Bill Laimbeer after tonight's game: "I was a little disappointed when they left Maya Moore in the game to try and...

...get player of the week again when the game was out of control. She should get hurt for that." #Lynx

Just to be clear, Laimbeer was NOT joking when he said Moore should've been hurt for staying in so long.

Back when Laimbeer was the most hated player in the NBA he once said he was misunderstood. Poor misunderstood Bill.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Just type in "a*sshole" and "Laimbeer" in google and see how many hits you get.

Reaction Score
@DougFeinberg: Bill Laimbeer fined by WNBA for comments he made after loss to Lynx on Sunday. I'd be surprised if he meant them in way some are saying

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom