Lagow's Twitter Page | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Lagow's Twitter Page

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The relationship with Xavier is good because Edsall is not the coach at UConn anymore.

And it's silly to think that a self inflicted fiasco from a kid in Texas will affect us negatively at all down there.

It's really not any more complicated than that.
It's silly for you to judge when you don't know the whole story.

And I am hearing coaches as far away as Houston want to know what happened to Lagow. Keep pulling self-righteous BS out your rear end. It's very simple. Coaches gossip like you do about UConn sports. And probably this message board.

Reaction Score

And I am hearing coaches as far away as Houston want to know what happened to Lagow. Keep pulling self-righteous BS out your rear end. It's very simple. Coaches gossip like you do about UConn sports. And probably this message board.

"I'm hearing.." Wow, guess we didnt realize you were such an insider into Texas HS football, Butchy!

Reaction Score

I've given you a break because some posters on here vouched that you're a decent guy. But your act is old and tired. You can't continue to post here like a jerk and then whine and play the victim.

If you want to believe that you're more than welcome to. But it's stupid. But hey, you think people care about what happened on this day in UConn football history in 1938.

Reaction Score
I've given you a break because some posters on here vouched that you're a decent guy. But your act is old and tired. You can't continue to post here like a jerk and then whine and play the victim.

If you want to believe that you're more than welcome to. But it's stupid. But hey, you think people care about what happened on this day in UConn football history in 1938.
Act? What act? All I did was say you are incorrect on the impact that'll occur with this loss. I can't call you what you said silly? You pretty much called what I said silly. Or was it "self-righteous BS out your rear end"? I don't care for anyone to have sympathy for me. Respect is not much to ask for.

And to be honest, I have no idea what happened on this day in 1938. But I am sure the UConn athletic department does. They keep far more in touch with the past than I do.

Matt...go watch your soaps. Hope you have your box of bon bons ready.

Reaction Score
Act? What act? All I did was say you are incorrect on the impact that'll occur with this loss. I can't call you what you said silly? You pretty much called what I said silly. Or was it "self-righteous BS out your rear end"? I don't care for anyone to have sympathy for me. Respect is not much to ask for.

And to be honest, I have no idea what happened on this day in 1938. But I am sure the UConn athletic department does. They keep far more in touch with the past than I do.

Matt...go watch your soaps. Hope you have your box of bon bons ready.

I said it was silly because it is. I tell some of my best friends that stuff they say is silly all the time. You want respect, then show some. There's nothing worse than someone lecturing everyone else about civility when they constantly post like a jerk. My 2 cents.....you have a very thin skin.

pj

Reaction Score
Butch is right that this is a highly visible break-up between the Texas 7v7 state champion QB and UConn, IF the breakup in fact occurs. It undoubtedly raises eyebrows and doubts. Texas coaches and players will identify with the Texan and it would surely have a negative effect on UConn's Texas recruiting.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I have been quiet long enough.

Lets face it. Uconn staff smelled a prima donna who didnt want to compete. Instead of risking it all on someone who might flake, they wanted a worthy alternative. And who can blame Coach P for wanting another QB. This team cannot afford to slowly sink via underperforming QB play as we have since Danny O. We need options. We need QBs who want to compete. No prospect should ever threaten a school that they dont want competition. Life is full of comp, if you dont like it, shut your lip and look elsewhere, but dont tell the media, dont voice it in twitter, just look for another school - try I-AA.

Lagow only has himself to blame.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Butch is right that this is a highly visible break-up between the Texas 7v7 state champion QB and UConn, IF the breakup in fact occurs. It undoubtedly raises eyebrows and doubts. Texas coaches and players will identify with the Texan and it would surely have a negative effect on UConn's Texas recruiting.

The facts are their Texan boy wonder didnt want to compete....end of story. His choice. Enough cuddling.

Reaction Score
I said it was silly because it is. I tell some of my best friends that stuff they say is silly all the time. You want respect, then show some. There's nothing worse than someone lecturing everyone else about civility when they constantly post like a jerk. My 2 cents.....you have a very thin skin.
"Constantly" is blowing it out of proportion. I treat most people here civilly. You might be an exception as well as a few others. You see me go at nelson? Ever? I actually think he is quite an intelligent person but is free to think what he wants to think. I've said it before I know I have thin skin. I am not going to go into that. Moving on...

Reaction Score
The facts are their Texan boy wonder didnt want to compete....end of story. His choice. Enough cuddling.
He eventually became willing to compete, if I should put it that way. This might be more about broken promises than anything else. All I will say.

Reaction Score
If we don't sign Lagow, we might really have to start hoping PP gets the boot after this season. FWIW, Texans, even football people, have a LOT of respect for UConn and this state.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
He eventually became willing to compete, if I should put it that way. This might be more about broken promises than anything else. All I will say.

Ugh. Enough of this tip toe bull. Its so simple, he didnt want to compete. There is nothing more too it. Everything else is noise and whiny bull.

Reaction Score
Ugh. Enough of this tip toe bull. Its so simple, he didnt want to compete. There is nothing more too it. Everything else is noise and whiny bull.
He still wants to come to UConn and play for us. To me, that sounds like he IS willing to compete.

Reaction Score

So now, after lecturing people that they don't know the facts, you post this. You can't make up Butchy.

pj

Reaction Score

Lets face it. Uconn staff smelled a prima donna who didnt want to compete. Instead of risking it all on someone who might flake, they wanted a worthy alternative. And who can blame Coach P for wanting another QB. This team cannot afford to slowly sink via underperforming QB play as we have since Danny O. We need options. We need QBs who want to compete. No prospect should ever threaten a school that they dont want competition. Life is full of comp, if you dont like it, shut your lip and look elsewhere, but dont tell the media, dont voice it in twitter, just look for another school - try I-AA.

As far as I know all the UConn coaches knew was that they needed a 2 QB class, and wanted the best QBs they could get. But Lagow's reaction does suggest that he expected to be coming into a situation where he would have minimal competition and when that situation changed, regretted his commitment to UConn. Of course he will face competition wherever he goes, and competition is good for him in the long run, so this is a puzzling reaction, but he's a young kid with an apparently strong-willed Dad, so I hope the coaches don't hold it against him.

The fiasco certainly doesn't make Lagow look good to other college coaches, so I wonder what opportunities he will have. If he does come to UConn still, hopefully the experience will have been a maturing one for him and he'll be ready to face the competitive nature of high-level football with humility and enthusiasm, and support for his teammates including the ones at his own position.

Reaction Score
LOL, so silly. I only lectured with a few sentences. What were you saying about being melodramatic?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

Perhaps you should have stayed quiet.

No school recruits 2 similarly rated QB's in the same class without very extenuating circumstances where each wants a particular school regardless. That is a very rare occurance. Whether the Lagow's knew about Boyle's recruitment 6 months ago or not is irrelevant.

Once Boyle's commitment became public, it was reasonable for them to reassess the situation. It has nothing to do with competition.

The fact that Day keeps telling everyone Boyle was his #1 target only gives the Lagows more reason to look around first.

The rest of the nonsense around signing day, his twitter account, etc is responding to internet craziness that ought not have been responded to in the first place.

There is a time information is ready for public consumption and a time when it isn't. Our fandom does not entitle us to live updates on the deliberations of an 18 yr old and his family.

As I said before, I'd like to see him play here. If he likes the school he should sign and not let his Dad's concerns stop him. Ultimately, it should be Richard's call. If he goes somewhere else, I won't be agonizing over it like some lovelorn teenager.

Lovelorn teenagers aside, this is yet another milestone in UConn program history. Thousands of posts about FB recruiting in the middle of BB season.

Hopefully we don't go full SEC nuts when it comes to these recruiting dramas.

PP will have to answer to the Texas HS FB community about what happened. It's just good politics.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
As far as I know all the UConn coaches knew was that they needed a 2 QB class, and wanted the best QBs they could get. But Lagow's reaction does suggest that he expected to be coming into a situation where he would have minimal competition and when that situation changed, regretted his commitment to UConn. Of course he will face competition wherever he goes, and competition is good for him in the long run, so this is a puzzling reaction, but he's a young kid with an apparently strong-willed Dad, so I hope the coaches don't hold it against him.
They don't regret the commitment. But they do wish they were more proactive at looking at other schools. That's how much Richard Lagow liked UConn.

Reaction Score

The fiasco certainly doesn't make Lagow look good to other college coaches, so I wonder what opportunities he will have. If he does come to UConn still, hopefully the experience will have been a maturing one for him and he'll be ready to face the competitive experience with humility and eagerness.

Not for nothing, but how can you post this and then say that the Texas HS football coaches will hold this against UConn?

pj

Reaction Score
No school recruits 2 similarly rated QB's in the same class without very extenuating circumstances where each wants a particular school regardless. That a very rare occurance. Whether the Lagow's knew about Boyle's recruitment 6 months ago or not is irrelevant.

Once Boyle's commitment became public, it was reasonable for them to reassess the situation. It has nothing to do with competition.

SubbaBub, you're just wrong about this. I answered it here: http://the-boneyard.com/threads/lagow-offer-status.33390/#post-498497:

Top schools bring in two highly rated QBs all the time. Sometimes one is lower rated, but again, stars are not totally trustworthy. If Bama is bringing a guy in, they believe he has potential to become a starter.

Just looking around the SEC this year and using 247 composite ratings:

Connecticut Tim Boyle PRO 0.8625; (Richard Lagow PRO 0.8272); Kivon Taylor ATH 0.7000 (unrated everywhere)

Alabama Cooper Bateman PRO 0.9623; Parker McLeod PRO 0.8435
Arkansas Austin Allen PRO 0.8950; Damon Mitchell DUAL 0.8333
Auburn Jeremy Johnson PRO 0.9273 ... prior year had 2 QBs 0.8982 and 0.8634
Florida Max Staver PRO 0.8472
Georgia Bruce Ramsay PRO 0.9518
Kentucky Reese Phillips PRO 0.7991
LSU Hayden Rettig PRO 0.9311; Anthony Jennings PRO 0.9135
Mississippi Ryan Buchanan PRO 0.9005; Devonte Kincaid DUAL 0.8894
Miss St Cord Sandberg DUAL 0.9071; Damian Williams DUAL 0.8218
Missouri Trent Hosick DUAL 0.8841; Eddie Printz PRO 0.8609
South Carolina Connor Mitch PRO 0.8866 ... prior year had 2 QBs 0.8731 and unrated
Tennessee Joshua Dobbs PRO 0.9276; Riley Ferguson PRO 0.8741
Texas A&M Kohl Steward PRO 0.9267; Kenny Hill DUAL 0.9090
Vanderbilt Johnathan McCrary DUAL 0.8839; Chad Kanoff PRO 0.8647

Out of 14 SEC teams, 8 had 2 QBs with both QBs rated higher than Rich Lagow; 1 had 2 QBs with the second QB rated only a whisker lower than Rich Lagow; 2 had 1 highly rated QB a year after taking 2 QBs; 3 had 1 QB in each of the last two years, but with the exception of Kentucky this year, all were rated higher than Rich Lagow.

It is certainly not abnormal in high-level college football to have a class with two highly rated QBs, even if they are both PRO style QBs.

Given UConn's situation where QBs from early classes have transferred or failed to develop and the roster is short of scholarship QBs, it's entirely appropriate for UConn to seek a 2 QB class, and to seek the highest rated QBs they can obtain.

It looks like the Lagows thought they would be coming into a unique situation with minimal competition for a multi-year role as the starting QB. When the competitive environment normalized, they wanted to reconsider.

If that's the case, they were basing their decision on the wrong criteria. It should have been school/education, coaches, facilities, competitiveness, opportunity to develop as a QB and as a young man. Competition doesn't hurt that opportunity, generally it helps. It's best to be exposed to the highest level of competition you can.

Again, I hope Lagow ends up at UConn and decides that it is the best spot for him to develop as a QB and a person. But I hope he also respects UConn's goal to become an elite football program, and therefore its need to recruit competitors at every position and maintain a normal number of scholarship players at every position.

pj

Reaction Score
Not for nothing, but how can you post this and then say that the Texas HS football coaches will hold this against UConn?

Most outsiders assume there's two sides to every breakup, and that there were probably mistakes or flaws on both sides. It's natural to have more sympathy for a local kid than for a distant school.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
SubbaBub, you're just wrong about this. I answered it here: http://the-boneyard.com/threads/lagow-offer-status.33390/#post-498497:

It looks like the Lagows thought they would be coming into a unique situation with minimal competition for a multi-year role as the starting QB. When the competitive environment normalized, they wanted to reconsider.

If that's the case, they were basing their decision on the wrong criteria. It should have been school/education, coaches, facilities, competitiveness, opportunity to develop as a QB and as a young man. Competition doesn't hurt that opportunity, generally it helps. It's best to be exposed to the highest level of competition you can.

Again, I hope Lagow ends up at UConn and decides that it is the best spot for him to develop as a QB and a person. But I hope he also respects UConn's goal to become an elite football program, and therefore its need to recruit competitors at every position and maintain a normal number of scholarship players at every position.

As you'll find in my response. Your verdict isn't as strong as you think. It's rare and almost unheard of in the lower BCS ranks.

LSU is the only comparable in your list and UConn is not LSU.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69