Lagow offer status | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Lagow offer status

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He still has an offer and is welcome at UConn. Whether he comes here or not is entirely up to him, though I suspect the young man is struggling with some difficult decisions.

You know this how? P said at his presser that he hard introduced our class.

Reaction Score
One of the posters here said that he talked to PP that night and PP was telling the poster he was still hoping Lagow would come. Can't remember who it was. But at this point who knows what to believe.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i beg this board, please stop the lagow talk. lets talk about marchi or cioffi or barmore or linta or something. chesus.

Reaction Score
i beg this board, please stop the lagow talk. lets talk about marchi or cioffi or barmore or linta or something. chesus.

Yet you post 30 minutes after this post on the main board Lagow thread discussing the situation. :confused:

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
It took 30 minutes to stumble his way over.

Yet you post 30 minutes after this post on the main board Lagow thread discussing the situation. :confused:

im desperate to try to get this board to give it up. we have 2014 to talk about and not a kid calling 20 schools a day with his hs coach instead of going to math class. i beg this baord to stop. hes old news but quickly turning into RE type old news if u get that...

Reaction Score

Well sure, but I think the LOI is good for 20 days at least and I suspect they would gladly keep the kid who has been in love with UConn for so long. If he still wanted to come.

Reaction Score
Well sure, but I think the LOI is good for 20 days at least and I suspect they would gladly keep the kid who has been in love with UConn for so long. If he still wanted to come.
FWIW: Without signing a LOI, what stops a kid from enrolling in a university and still receiving an equivalent amount of financial aid as an athletic scholarship?

Reaction Score
FWIW: Without signing a LOI, what stops a kid from enrolling in a university and still receiving an equivalent amount of financial aid as an athletic scholarship?

Any one who has been recruited, if he takes aid, would count against the football scholarship limit.

Reaction Score

Even if that is legally true, if he was told at noon on signing day that he wasn't wanted any more, what does he gain by coming? The scholarship is only good for more than one year at the discretion of the university.

Reaction Score
Any one who has been recruited, if he takes aid, would count against the football scholarship limit.
That's an answer to a question, but may not specifically answer the intended question. Again, what prevents a kid from accepting admission to university XYZ, enrolling, accepting some form of financial aid, yet never formally signing a LOI? Even if the kid effectively counts against XYZ's possible athletic scholarship limit, does his enrollment require a LOI? Yes, the hypothetical scenario may be a slim, subtle difference.

Reaction Score
That's an answer to a question, but may not specifically answer the intended question. Again, what prevents a kid from accepting admission to university XYZ, enrolling, accepting some form of financial aid, yet never formally signing a LOI? Even if the kid effectively counts against XYZ's possible athletic scholarship limit, does his enrollment require a LOI? Yes, the hypothetical scenario may be a slim, subtle difference.

What would be the point to doing that?

Reaction Score
One of the posters here said that he talked to PP that night and PP was telling the poster he was still hoping Lagow would come. Can't remember who it was. But at this point who knows what to believe.
A coach can't specifically talk about a player until he signs, so I doubt he mentioned Lagow by name.

Reaction Score

I'm at a loss here, and again, I'm worried that crazy dan, has been right all along.

All a letter of intent was created for, is a pressure release valve in the world of recruiting. That's it. When a player signs the NLI, that player is no longer free game on the range. Period. That's what the whole thing was created for.

Now, as I've learned recently, the process has continually changed, and I believe, in addition, to basically shutting down a player's recruiting, also incorporates wording guaranteeing a scholarship now -at least for a period of time.

There was a time, when both things were separate, a letter of intent and a scholarship contract. I'm pretty sure that the formal scholarship funding paperwork is still separate from a letter of intent.

If that is true, these days, when a school issue's a signed NLI, to an athlete, signed by the school staff - that school is essentially committing scholarship money to that athlete - in writing. That's not the way it once was, and to me, makes it even more imperative, that a signed NLI froma university, not be treated lightly. As i"ve said 100,000 times, in recruiting, your reputation is all you got.

So - in answer to:

"Again, what prevents a kid from accepting admission to university XYZ, enrolling, accepting some form of financial aid, yet never formally signing a LOI? Even if the kid effectively counts against XYZ's possible athletic scholarship limit, does his enrollment require a LOI?"

My answers respectively are: Nothing, and No.

Reaction Score
What would be the point to doing that?
Again, it's hypothetical. Some people suggest a 20 or n day window exists with LOIs. So, what stops a kid from enrolling without a LOI? FWIW, this is acknowledged as being way OT and not directly related to a young man who may or may never enroll at UConn. Short answer: What's a LOI really mean as of 2013?

Reaction Score
Again, it's hypothetical. Some people suggest a 20 or n day window exists with LOIs. So, what stops a kid from enrolling without a LOI? FWIW, this is acknowledged as being way OT and not directly related to a young man who may or may never enroll at UConn. Short answer: What's a LOI really mean as of 2013?

I realize that I'm just trying to figure out why someone who do it... just to go to the school of thier choice?

pj

Reaction Score
"Again, what prevents a kid from accepting admission to university XYZ, enrolling, accepting some form of financial aid, yet never formally signing a LOI? Even if the kid effectively counts against XYZ's possible athletic scholarship limit, does his enrollment require a LOI?"

My answers respectively are: Nothing, and No.

Nothing, except that he counts against the 85-man scholarship limit, whether or not he receives a scholarship. Schools are likely to be reluctant to make roster room for kids who are unwilling to sign an LOI.

Reaction Score

Nothing would stop him from enrolling and trying out for the football team, LOI or no LOI.
But the moment he is on the team, he counts against the scholarship limit.

Reaction Score
Nothing, except that he counts against the 85-man scholarship limit, whether or not he receives a scholarship. Schools are likely to be reluctant to make roster room for kids who are unwilling to sign an LOI.

THis is not correct. If I understand the question correctly, a student that enrolls in a university, and then applies for financial aid through the normal student financial aid channels, (like any other student that is not a scholarship-athlete) and then receives financial aid, through normal student channels, has nothing to do with scholarship limits - if said student, chooses to participate with the football program, and makes the roster.

It's an odd question, and I go back to what I first wrote, that I think crazy dan is right about our fan base, because the question, is essentially the definition of a walk on.

YOu've got roster limit of 105 players, if I'm not outdated, and mistaken, and you've got 85 full scholarships to divvy out. One thing, has nothing to do with the other - except that such a player as is being described, would have to make cuts, to be among the 30 - non-scholarship players on a roster.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
If there is compliance paperwork that says he was recruited, and there is, then once he receives financial aid of any sort, he would count against the scholarship limit.

Otherwise it would be easy to get around the limit of 85.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
THis is not correct. If I understand the question correctly, a student that enrolls in a university, and then applies for financial aid through the normal student financial aid channels, (like any other student that is not a scholarship-athlete) and then receives financial aid, through normal student channels, has nothing to do with scholarship limits - if said student, chooses to participate with the football program, and makes the roster.

It's an odd question, and I go back to what I first wrote, that I think crazy dan is right about our fan base, because the question, is essentially the definition of a walk on.

YOu've got roster limit of 105 players, if I'm not outdated, and mistaken, and you've got 85 full scholarships to divvy out. One thing, has nothing to do with the other - except that such a player as is being described, would have to make cuts, to be among the 30 - non-scholarship players on a roster.

You are flat out wrong. Once a player has been recruited, he never becomes like a true walk on. For what should be obvious reasons.

Reaction Score
If there is compliance paperwork that says he was recruited, and there is, then once he receives financial aid of any sort, he would count against the scholarship limit.

Otherwise it would be easy to get around the limit of 85.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Good God. We aren't talking about a specifc player still are we?

I hope not, you'd think that by now, people would understand that the thread title, doesn't have anythign to do with the actual discussion around here, I often wonder if you need titles to a thread.

Once again, the NLI - was created, and exists, to essentially STOP the recruiting process for an athlete, for a period of time, before they are actually able to enroll and begin school at an institution. It's a process by which the athlete becomes tied to a program, and the recruiting process stops. That's it.

Scholarship paperwork, was, and continues to be distinct from the NLI. It seems that NLI's have evolved over the years to contain wording involving the scholarship terms, and what basically reduces to a written promise of receiving a scholarship to go along with teh official halting of the recruiting process.

Whatever the contract terms specified in an NLI are, that's what's going to honored when it's signed. I don't see the ambiguity here.

What the question being posed addresses, is describing walk-on status to a football program. A true walk-on shows up, unrecruited. A preferred walk-on, has been recruited. Neither counts toward the scholarship limit, and neither - is going to be given and NLI.

My personal opinion, is that if you're involved in college football, to the point where you are directly involved with NLI"s.....you don't jerk around NLI's, whatever side of the field you are on. There are way too many people involved, and your reputation is all you got.

Just one man's opinion.

Reaction Score
You are flat out wrong. Once a player has been recruited, he never becomes like a true walk on. For what should be obvious reasons.

Good. I"m wrong. Everybody confused enough now? Let it go.

Syracuse and UConn at the civvy tonight, for probably the last time. :)

Reaction Score

So what you are saying is all of UConn's walk ons never received a letter, phone call or visit from a coach?

Doesn't make sense. So a kid from a poor family who got minor interest from UConn really loves the academics UConn offers and wants to go there and walk on.

The coaches think he would be a good fit for the scout team and love his attitude but can't afford to give up a scholly to him.

So guess all walk ons are kids who call the coaches after LOI day and say "Can I walk on?"

Am I missing something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger