Lagow back in the fold... | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Lagow back in the fold...

Status
Not open for further replies.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Didn't Lagow's dad mention possibly flying Richard up every weekend to get acclimated to UConn and possibly hook up with some people up here. I know he can't participate in practices or anything of the sort but I wonder if they still plan on doing this? It would be beneficial for him or anyone.

I'm very excited that he decided to sign. I was one of the doubters as this dragged on that he was coming here. Glad to see he'll make the QB position even stronger and deeper

Welcome to the UConn Family!!!!

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Welcome to HuskyNation Richard and fam! Enjoy UConn life and The courses offered. Watch out for Bio 107 if it's still offered. I got a D and was damn glad to get it. LMFAO

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Without a doubt the best quarterback depth UConn has ever had in all my years of watching them.

Reaction Score
Didn't Lagow's dad mention possibly flying Richard up every weekend to get acclimated to UConn and possibly hook up with some people up here. I know he can't participate in practices or anything of the sort but I wonder if they still plan on doing this? It would be beneficial for him or anyone.

I'm very excited that he decided to sign. I was one of the doubters as this dragged on that he was coming here. Glad to see he'll make the QB position even stronger and deeper

Welcome to the UConn Family!!!!

If Tim Boyle really wanted to he could drive 45 minutes everyday and do this no problem. Same scenario, much easier. But yes I do recall his father posting the details of what you speak of on here.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Until someone or someone's deserve otherwise, the best depth chart we had at QB was Dan Orlovsky not missing a snap for three years

I agree he was the best by far that I agree with. I am just saying UConn finally has depth just in case. Something even when Dan O was here UConn didn't have.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Welcome to HuskyNation Richard and fam! Enjoy UConn life and The courses offered. Watch out for Bio 107 if it's still offered. I got a D and was damn glad to get it. LMFAO
Heh. Chem 127/128 for me. Some universities are trying to improve the way these intro science courses are taught instead of having them be "weed-out" courses, I hope UConn is on board with that initiative!

Reaction Score
Heh. Chem 127/128 for me. Some universities are trying to improve the way these intro science courses are taught instead of having them be "weed-out" courses, I hope UConn is on board with that initiative!

Organic chem 1+2 for me. Total nightmare. Ridiculous when most have to take it 2 or 3 times just to pass.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

Absolutely this!!!

Chem127 was arguably the only thing standing in my way of becoming a chemist, and it nearly sent me packing. I ended up re-taking the equivalent of Chem127 at Manchester Community College that summer in order to improve my understanding (even though I passed at UConn....barely!). It was under the instruction of a guy named Tom Zownir (fantastic teacher!), and it was made extremely simple. The way it should have been in the first place. Once I got over that hurdle, I never looked back. But as you alluded to, this used to be the way that UConn controlled the population of all the pre-med and pharmacy majors. I hope times are much better now than in the 90's....

Reaction Score
Absolutely this!!!

Chem127 was arguably the only thing standing in my way of becoming a chemist, and it nearly sent me packing. I ended up re-taking the equivalent of Chem127 at Manchester Community College that summer in order to improve my understanding (even though I passed at UConn....barely!). It was under the instruction of a guy named Tom Zownir (fantastic teacher!), and it was made extremely simple. The way it should have been in the first place. Once I got over that hurdle, I never looked back. But as you alluded to, this used to be the way that UConn controlled the population of all the pre-med and pharmacy majors. I hope times are much better now than in the 90's....

Nope. Maybe worse. They really do seem to try to cut down on the science majors. I did the same thing! I took 127 with zownir, too! Yeah great guy. Big baseball guy.

Reaction Score
Chem 127 was fairly incomprehensible, literally, both my lecturer and lab guy had such thick accents it was like listening to someone with marbles in their mouth. Total nightmare. :confused:
Comparative vertebrate anatomy was no walk in the park either, still remember the old bone in the burlap bag BS on the practical.:eek:

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Chem 127 was fairly incomprehensible, literally, both my lecturer and lab guy had such thick accents it was like listening to someone with marbles in their mouth. Total nightmare. :confused:
Comparative vertebrate anatomy was no walk in the park either, still remember the old bone in the burlap bag BS on the practical.:eek:

You bring up what was (and apparently still is) one of the biggest problems with chemistry at large universities; TA's and their language barrier. It seems to be part of their stipend that they need to teach courses, but without a mastery of the English language, having them teach the undergraduate students is performing a great disservice to the paying undergrad students. At the very least, the TA's that teach the courses should not be first or second year PhD students, but rather, third and fourth year students that have had a couple of years of speaking English under their belts and some more maturity in order to become effective teachers.

Teaching is a trade, not a pastime. It's not "filler", nor should it be treated as such to kids who are paying over $1,800 per 3 credit course. And it's not just UConn, it's everywhere unfortunately...

junglehusky

Reaction Score
You bring up what was (and apparently still is) one of the biggest problems with chemistry at large universities; TA's and their language barrier. It seems to be part of their stipend that they need to teach courses, but without a mastery of the English language, having them teach the undergraduate students is performing a great disservice to the paying undergrad students. At the very least, the TA's that teach the courses should not be first or second year PhD students, but rather, third and fourth year students that have had a couple of years of speaking English under their belts and some more maturity in order to become effective teachers.

Teaching is a trade, not a pastime. It's not "filler", nor should it be treated as such to kids who are paying over $1,800 per 3 credit course. And it's not just UConn, it's everywhere unfortunately...
Good points. Universities are paying more attention or lip service (depending on your perspective and on the university) to this issue, and need to do better both from the point of verbal language proficiency and teaching skills. Having said that, I feel like a substantial percentage of the freshmen complaining "I can't understand a word my TA says" are kids who never ventured far from their suburban enclave and never had to communicate with people with accents before. I found with most of my TA's after a week or two I got used to the differences, with minimal effort on my part to train my ear. Only a few were not fluent enough and this was where the difficulty in communication was. People say "You're in America, speak English" and maybe that's fair, maybe not. But let's say it is and a grad student has spent years learning English well enough to communicate fluently, and a kid in the class doesn't even try to get past the different accent. Well, I think you oughta at least try to meet them halfway. That's the world we live in nowadays.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Good points. Universities are paying more attention or lip service (depending on your perspective and on the university) to this issue, and need to do better both from the point of verbal language proficiency and teaching skills. Having said that, I feel like a substantial percentage of the freshmen complaining "I can't understand a word my TA says" are kids who never ventured far from their suburban enclave and never had to communicate with people with accents before. I found with most of my TA's after a week or two I got used to the differences, with minimal effort on my part to train my ear. Only a few were not fluent enough and this was where the difficulty in communication was. People say "You're in America, speak English" and maybe that's fair, maybe not. But let's say it is and a grad student has spent years learning English well enough to communicate fluently, and a kid in the class doesn't even try to get past the different accent. Well, I think you oughta at least try to meet them halfway. That's the world we live in nowadays.

I understand what you are saying about some students being lazy. However, I can tell you that the TA's I had in my freshman and sophomore years in chemistry were BRUTAL when it came to the English language. I specifically remember a Chinese TA who struggled to piece five words of English together, and a Russian TA who's accent was so heavy and grammar was so poor that it made it near impossible to carry on without a "do it yourself" attitude. Keep in mind that I speak three languages and I am the son of immigrants, so I understand a "heavy accent." It also doesn't help that they are trying to teach Chemistry, which in and of itself, is another language altogether with its own symbols and rules.

I'll grant you that the fact there seem to be more people in the U.S. than any other country who only speak one language and who are intolerant of others who can't speak English well. However, the large universities have a lot of work to do when it comes to the use of foreign students teaching courses at an appropriate English level. The undergrads aren't there for free; they are all paying good money to be taught something...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
BTW......Real men had chem classes in the OLD Chem Building.

ALL my chem classes were in the OLD building! (Charles Waring Building) I'm sure you were calling out someone else. ;) Also, to your point about how Chem127 pertains to Lagow, I wanted to let you know that this is the first thread in history that has been hijacked. It's MOST CERTAINLY the first thread about Lagow that has been hijacked, which sucks because we had such a string of Lagow posts that stayed pure... :confused:

pj

Reaction Score
Also, to your point about how Chem127 pertains to Lagow, I wanted to let you know that this is the first thread in history that has been hijacked. It's MOST CERTAINLY the first thread about Lagow that has been hijacked, which sucks because we had such a string of Lagow posts that stayed pure... :confused:

How quickly the Boneyard turns. Lagow was a supertopic that hijacked all threads. The kid signs, he's probably visiting now to find out if we still love him, and sees his thread has been hijacked by foreign TAs. Not foreign T&As -- which I'm sure he'd understand -- but chemistry TAs for g**'s sake. How fickle is the regard of the Boneyard!

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
How quickly the Boneyard turns. Lagow was a supertopic that hijacked all threads. The kid signs, he's probably visiting now to find out if we still love him, and sees his thread has been hijacked by foreign TAs. Not foreign T&As -- which I'm sure he'd understand -- but chemistry TAs for g**'s sake. How fickle is the regard of the Boneyard!

We're a lot of things, but we are not fickle! In fact, we stick to our script a little too well. For instance, I have hijacked yet another thread with my "One time in chemistry class..." The rest of the Boneyard will soon follow suit on this thread (as we do in all other threads):

Whaler: "I had to call him on his bull$#it. If I don't, who will?"
HFD: "thats becuz these idios couldnt market their stuff even if the campus was sitting rite in the middle of the nike campus!!! #B1G #"
Weyou: "I think you're being too harsh, HFD. Everything is going to be fine!"
Nelson: "No it's not. Eliminate all athletic programs at UConn. ESPN has finally killed us."
ZLS: "Yeah right. ESPN killed the Big East? Prove it."
CL82: "ZLS, you are only on step 4 of the 12 steps of grief. You'll get there, buddy!"
Fishy: "Incredible. Sometimes I wish the Boneyard was never made at all. I want you all to poke out your eyes with a Ginsu knife."
Jimmy Serrano: "Based on his typing, I think that HFD has already done it."
PJ: "Can we get back to the quarterback on the thread, or any other QB? Even if we have to talk about a different quarterback like McCummings and the wildcat package!"
Husky25: "You guys understand that we aren't really running a 'wildcat', right? Do I have to explain this again???"
Dooley: "Wake me up when we're in the B1G."
UConnDan97: "Well, speaking of the B1G, one time in chemistry class..."

And so it goes. Sorry to those that I missed. This was a re-enactment, and no Boneyarders were harmed in the making of it....not physically...

(by the way, I hope that everyone that I mentioned understands that this was meant to be for fun, so please don't take it that seriously, because I remember one time when I was in chemistry class...)

junglehusky

Reaction Score
Awesome Dan97. I'm not sure if I should be offended or relieved I didn't make the highlight clip.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Awesome Dan97. I'm not sure if I should be offended or relieved I didn't make the highlight clip.

Probably relieved. It means that your posts are diverse and lack the ability to be stereotyped...

Reaction Score
This should never have been allowed by this online community of fans, to drag out this far, the way it did. There were only five Carl's, huskynation's, whaler's, and sportsart's, and huskyfandan's that tried everything to get this thing to go away and called BS.

Next time, if there is a next time, there should be five thousand Carl's, huskynation's, whaler's, and sportsart's, and dan's calling BS and telling a poster to cut the and take the game somewhere else. This whole thing has shown that we are indeed a brand new football program at the level we're at.

It's got nothing to do with being respectful to a poster, claiming to be someone, on an anonymous message board. Regardless of whether or not identities are true or not.

It's got everythign to do with understanding what football recruiting is about, and what national signing day really means, and what an NLI really means for a division 1 college football player and being respectful of everyone that actually does sign it.

The poster by the end was even trying to get fans to stop, and focus on the class, and I'm grateful finally just went away. I'm not happy about the whole thing, because there was a major distraction to the kids that actually did sign on that day, but I'm hopeful that it will be a good learning experience for the fan base.

Again, I look forward to the signed letter.

Signing day, is the day that high school football players get to be celebrated for what they've done, and what they have the opportunity to do in the future. It's the time for college football program fans, to recognize the new players they have coming into the family, and recognize what they've done to get there.

it's their day to shine - the signee's, and only the signee's, because the majority of them, aren't going to be seen in any other significant way by fans, for a couple years thereafter.

I hope that all the fans here, remember that in the future.
I agree with the sentiment but please don't use this as a referendum on Uconn's status as a program akin to other classics like 'how to properly tailgate big-time', 'when to stand and cheer', or 'how many minutes before kick-off should you be in your seats'...

if people are being inappropriate or crossing the line, they need to be called out. That holds true with any fanbase.

Maybe part of defining tradition includes a fanbase that doesn't constantly worry about whether its actions are deemed 'worthy' of being considered 'tradition' or 'big-time'....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom