Ladies and Gentleman, RAY REID! | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Ladies and Gentleman, RAY REID!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn 3 - Memphis 0

Another freshman (Larin) scores again, giving him 4 goals on the season. UConn outshot Memphis 17-2, which is really bad, because we only converted on three of the shots... :confused:
it's 'ing Memphis. Every D1 and D2 school in New England plays better soccer.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
it's 'ing Memphis. Every D1 and D2 school in New England plays better soccer.

Can you tell me Memphis' record this year?

It's actually a rhetorical question, since I know you can't. Then, you'll go look it up and find out that they have a winning record. But then you won't come back on the thread to say, "My bad", because you don't want to seem like you didn't know what you were talking about. So I'll save everyone fifteen minutes of their lives by just posting this. How does that sound? ;)

Reaction Score
Also they beat Memphis without Blake and Mamadou(Again). Anyone know what's wrong with mamadou's leg?

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Also they beat Memphis without Blake and Mamadou(Again). Anyone know what's wrong with mamadou's leg?

I can't find any info on Mamadou. It's hard to know what the timetable is for his return. I suppose the positive that is coming out of this is that Larin is getting a lot of burn and making good on his opportunity...

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
With all due respect, this line of thinking is ridiculous. It really is. By this same logic, Tom Izzo should be out of a job tomorrow. The last time Tom won a championship was also in 2000, and he has also molded multiple kids into "next-level" talent. So he needs to win "pressure games"??? Since 2000, Reid has won the Big East regular season championship four times and the tournament championship three times.

We have suffered some horrible knockout losses in "the big dance." There's no doubt about it. But you all are attributing that to the coach?!? Good Lord! I wonder what people would have thought of Calhoun if the 2011 team didn't make the magic run through the tourney. Maybe they would have said he should have retired 7 years prior...good God!

And by the way, are you being serious about knocking a goal because it was a PK??? How do you think a PK is earned?!? That comment alone pretty much sums up what I think of your soccer knowledge...

Izzo gets further on in the tourney than Reid has

I've coached the game for over 30 yrs and have coached ODP
Ray is a knowledgeable guy who relates well to the kids BUT the one thing he has not been able to do is get out there on the field and work with the kids due to physical restraints. Unlike baseball and football where coaches at the D1 level have kids who have skills that basically will cover a variety of various position demand. These coaches also have staff members who can mix it up with the players in practice. Soccer is very different in that due to the constant movement and number of players involved, position knowledge of specific responsibilities is vital. That knowledge comes with experience.
The way Reid recruits - he goes after the BEST PLAYER and then tries to mold 60% of them in positions they are not accustomed to. It is very difficult to mold a HS AA who played up front into a contributing midfielder, it is difficult having a HS AA midfielder to be an effective marking or zone defender. He has a strong asst head coach and then there is nothing else on the coaching bench. That puts pressure on him to work with the kids but he can't do it.

They execute a short passing game very nicely but that can be a tribute to the skill level of these kids. They seem to have a problem translating that tactic into a full field scheme. They either play over the midfield or get caught up playing horizontal limiting their opposite field vertical vision. Rarely do you see any of their front runners making diagonal off ball runs or execute crossing switch runs to free themselves and vary the target. They rely too much on sideline switches with midfielders and marking backs acting as supporting attack. This will sometimes mess up their spacing and shape. Against inferior opposition it can be very successful but a skilled and quick opponent will likely have numerous transition opportunities.

At D2 Southern (my alma) he coached a bunch of guys who came in at 21 - 23 yo and that is a bonus. In addition, he recruited huge from Long Island and New Jersey - D2 coaches in the 80's did not recruit that much outside their locale - the program gained some success while he was playing there and he was benefactor as a HC. Southern soccer in the 80's was like Duke Mens BB - the kids just came.

My opinion - he should have gone MLS in 2001 and right after 2005 season when he had the chance. I think it's time for a younger coach who can get those American youth who will stay in school and play for 3-4 years or at least the European kids who will treasure the 4 yr degree at a school like UCONN. The island kids are a gamble (while he has done well with quite a few) and if they fail in school or don't like the weather after the season - they are gone.

Ray will be a NCAA Soccer HoF coach - no doubt about it and deservingly so. His combined record of accomplishments at both SCSU and UCONN speak for themselves.

Reaction Score
To wrap-up my thoughts, I wish UConn the best and I hope they do make it to the Cup this year. Ray Ried is a good coach; but, like everyone, he has his weaknesses. The program’s weakness appears to be an inability to score a goal when it counts in crunch time.

As for UConn overall, I have even more reasons to ‘strongly dislike’ (I am trying to teach my kids not to sue the word ‘hate,’ and thus have to train myself) the American. Away games at Memphis, Tampa (USF), Orlando (UCF), Dallas (SMU). WTF? On week nights, I used to be able to catch UConn soccer once of twice a year play Rutgers, Seton Hall and even St John’s (if I didn’t mind the 2+ hour fight over the Hudson and East rivers from NJ). Now, I can’t make week night games and I can’t spend every weekend away from the family in the Fall up in Storrs/Hartford as I already have season tickets for football.

Reaction Score

Ray is a knowledgeable guy who relates well to the kids BUT the one thing he has not been able to do is get out there on the field and work with the kids due to physical restraints. Unlike baseball and football where coaches at the D1 level have kids who have skills that basically will cover a variety of various position demand. These coaches also have staff members who can mix it up with the players in practice. Soccer is very different in that due to the constant movement and number of players involved, position knowledge of specific responsibilities is vital. That knowledge comes with experience.
The way Reid recruits - he goes after the BEST PLAYER and then tries to mold 60% of them in positions they are not accustomed to. It is very difficult to mold a HS AA who played up front into a contributing midfielder, it is difficult having a HS AA midfielder to be an effective marking or zone defender. He has a strong asst head coach and then there is nothing else on the coaching bench. That puts pressure on him to work with the kids but he can't do it.

They execute a short passing game very nicely but that can be a tribute to the skill level of these kids. They seem to have a problem translating that tactic into a full field scheme. They either play over the midfield or get caught up playing horizontal limiting their opposite field vertical vision. Rarely do you see any of their front runners making diagonal off ball runs or execute crossing switch runs to free themselves and vary the target. They rely too much on sideline switches with midfielders and marking backs acting as supporting attack. This will sometimes mess up their spacing and shape. Against inferior opposition it can be very successful but a skilled and quick opponent will likely have numerous transition opportunities.

At D2 Southern (my alma) he coached a bunch of guys who came in at 21 - 23 yo and that is a bonus. In addition, he recruited huge from Long Island and New Jersey - D2 coaches in the 80's did not recruit that much outside their locale - the program gained some success while he was playing there and he was benefactor as a HC. Southern soccer in the 80's was like Duke Mens BB - the kids just came.

My opinion - he should have gone MLS in 2001 and right after 2005 season when he had the chance. I think it's time for a younger coach who can get those American youth who will stay in school and play for 3-4 years or at least the European kids who will treasure the 4 yr degree at a school like UCONN. The island kids are a gamble (while he has done well with quite a few) and if they fail in school or don't like the weather after the season - they are gone.

Ray will be a NCAA Soccer HoF coach - no doubt about it and deservingly so. His combined record of accomplishments at both SCSU and UCONN speak for themselves.

Nice post.

Reaction Score
Can you tell me Memphis' record this year?

It's actually a rhetorical question, since I know you can't. Then, you'll go look it up and find out that they have a winning record. But then you won't come back on the thread to say, "My bad", because you don't want to seem like you didn't know what you were talking about. So I'll save everyone fifteen minutes of their lives by just posting this. How does that sound? ;)
My bad. I had no idea Memphis had a winning record. Just goes to show that when you assume something it usually makes an ass out of you.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
My bad. I had no idea Memphis had a winning record. Just goes to show that when you assume something it usually makes an ass out of you.

No worries. Most people would have assumed the same thing...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score

A couple of things:

1) If you think the coach of a soccer team needs to be out there to "mix it up" with the players in order to properly train them, then you are going to have to explain how 90% of professional international coaches can't do that and are still extremely successful.

2) If you think that the team has a problem translating the short passing game into a "full field scheme", then you are going to have to explain to me how UConn creates many more chances than their opponents in almost every game, even against top25 talent.

3) His recruiting at Southern was indeed better than almost any other D2 school, no doubt about it. But then explain to me how his team was even better than D1 UConn at the time, and that he was able to generate multiple MLS level players at a D2 school if it didn't also come with some measure of player development.

In other words, you have a lot of explaining to do...

We at least agree on two things; Ray will certainly be an NCAA soccer HoF coach, and his accomplishments speak for themselves.

Reaction Score
For those keeping track of these things, UConn men's soccer has a 4-0 lead over Columbia. After struggling for goals all season, the Huskies suddenly have 7 goals in the last two games, with a good chunk of the second half to go in this one. It might not be top 25 competition, but any sort of Husky goal explosion is good to see going into Saturday's game at Louisville.

By the way, Andre Blake is back in goal for tonight's game.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
For those keeping track of these things, UConn men's soccer has a 4-0 lead over Columbia. After struggling for goals all season, the Huskies suddenly have 7 goals in the last two games, with a good chunk of the second half to go in this one. It might not be top 25 competition, but any sort of Husky goal explosion is good to see going into Saturday's game at Louisville.

By the way, Andre Blake is back in goal for tonight's game.

It's good to have Blake back. And like I've said before....eventually, all of those chances that the team has been generating all year will eventually convert into goals. I'm proud of this team and the way they are performing. They are still a top25 squad, even though they are so young and their star forward has been out for at least 4 games out of the season...Keep it up, Huskies!!! :cool:

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Love seeing Allando step up. Has 4 goals in the past 2 games.

The best part is that Allando Matheson and Cyle Larin will both be back next year (as will most of the squad). Hard to believe that Larin is just a freshman! Between the two of them, I think they have combined for 10 goals already this year. The future looks bright...

Reaction Score
It's good to have Blake back. And like I've said before....eventually, all of those chances that the team has been generating all year will eventually convert into goals. I'm proud of this team and the way they are performing. They are still a top25 squad, even though they are so young and their star forward has been out for at least 4 games out of the season...Keep it up, Huskies!!! :cool:

It seems to me that despite the lack of goal scoring until recently, this is a much more offensively minded team than in year's past. In recent year's the team did not score all that much, but they also didn't take all that many shots as well. This team takes a lot of shots, even if they don't necessarily score a lot of goals, at least until the last two games. Given the youth of the team on the field and the fact that Mamadou has hardly played, I definitely see it as a positive. I definitely think things are bright for the future.

Reaction Score
2-2 Tie at Louisville

Next up is Yale, then 2 conference games against Cincy and @SMU.

Need some wins here!

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Cyle Larin was at it again tonight. A big goal late in the game from the freshman. He's gonna be an extremely good one before his UConn career is over...

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
I work in professional soccer. This thread is ridiculous.

Reid has his issues, certainly, but he really is a top coach. Can't blame him for PK misses, by the way.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
UConn 1 - Yale 0

Cyle Larin is on a friggin' streak!!! He is a freshman with 7 goals on the season already. Watch out for this kid....he's gonna have a bright future... :cool:

Reaction Score
Also of note, Mamadou has played very brief stints off the bench in the last two games after missing a number of games due to injury. He hasn't scored all season. Despite this, UConn has only lost two games. If he is able to get back to full speed soon and return to his goal scoring self, the Huskies could become a very dangerous team in the tournament.

Reaction Score
If we are going to be dangerous, we're going to have to get more goals. That was a fun game to attend. Nice crowd.

Reaction Score
My concerns aside, I do hope the Huskies can continue to upward trend and make it to the College Cup as I would enjoy catching them in Philadelphia (even if it snows, which can make for a fun soccer game, ask Costa Rica).

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
UConn 1 - Cincy 0

Matheson hit the game-winner in OT, assist from Larin. These two have become a potent duo throughout the course of the year. This young team keeps getting better as the season progresses. Keep working, Huskies!!!

Reaction Score
On the Mamadou Doudou Diouf front, he started the Cincinnati game and played 65 minutes. He took three shots but didn't score. At least he's playing some good minutes now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom