Ladies and Gentleman, RAY REID! | The Boneyard

Ladies and Gentleman, RAY REID!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Out shoots Bradley 21-3.

Loses 1-0 at home.

UConn going into it's December offense early this year. Team has a combined 2 goals in it's first four games.

Reaction Score
I still have some respect for Reid, but if we continue like this, we're going to be like Indiana or Virginia, sinking fast this season.

Reaction Score
Out shoots Bradley 21-3.

Loses 1-0 at home.

UConn going into it's December offense early this year. Team has a combined 2 goals in it's first four games.
Reid must be feeling pressure to win this year after stunning losses in the postseason the last several years. Why else would he pull out his late season offense this early in the season.

Reaction Score
#2 Creighton just went down to an unranked William & Mary.

Reaction Score
William & Mary has historically been a good soccer program, I actually remember them playing in Storrs once in a NCAA play-off round. No idea how they have been recently.

That said, UConn is a heck of a team on paper year in a year out; but, they seem not to be able to score goals in clutch situations, thus the play-off PK losses over the last several year. Can’t figure it out. Seems to be in the team’s head now, too. Back in the day, Reid’s SCSU teams had no problem finding the back of the net, frequently.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Syracuse scores on UConn for the first time in TEN YEARS, but it's probably enough, as- you guessed it! - UConn hasn't scored tonight.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Aaaaaaaaaand Syracuse wins 1-0. Watch out for Cuse in the coming years now that they can push the opportunity to play in- by far- the best soccer conference in the country.

Reaction Score
Looks like ‘Cuse got a good new coach back in 2010 and the ACC with ND, UVA, UNC, Maryland, etc. is a good soccer conference.

http://www.suathletics.com/coaches.aspx?rc=795&path=msoccer

And as I said, UConn over the last few years does not appear to be able to get a goal when they need one (UConn out shot ‘Cuse 7 to 4). UConn still draws better though, as UConn averages over 2,000+ a game while ‘Cuse had under 900 for this game. ‘Cuse’s stadium (capacity 1,500 v. UConn’s 5,100) is also up on the hill away from the main campus.

Reaction Score
Hard to fire a guy who constantly gets his team deep in the tourney each year. PP will most likely be Manual's only HC firing this season.

Reaction Score
Hard to fire a guy who constantly gets his team deep in the tourney each year. PP will most likely be Manual's only HC firing this season.

We can only hope that PP is fired this year, preferably on the bus ride back to Storrs after Michigan slaughters UConn.

Reaction Score
So nice to see so many UConn teams fired up and playing well this year to represent the school at this trying time.

2 goals in 5 games.

And the much hyped goaltender continues to give up goals despite facing minimal shots.

Reaction Score
So nice to see so many UConn teams fired up and playing well this year to represent the school at this trying time.

2 goals in 5 games.

And the much hyped goaltender continues to give up goals despite facing minimal shots.

Continues to give up goals? Andre Blake has given up two in five games, and one of those on a penalty shot. I'll take that. Meanwhile, his team hasn't scored in the last three games. That's the way bigger problem.

Reaction Score
Reid is officially losing my respect, this is beyond pitiful.

We tied Temple, 1-1. Please regroup against UCF and win a Conf game!

Reaction Score
Forgot they even had a game today.

Outshot Temple 19-9. 1-1 tie. Comical at this point.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
The only thing that is comical is this friggin' thread. Ray Reid is a fantastic coach, and he has been for over three decades. Here are some stats for those of you who just look at the 3-2-3 record:

1) Freshmen - Of the 17 players that played against Temple, 6 were Freshman. That's right, more than 1/3 of the team were Freshmen. How many Seniors? 2. This team is poised to explode in the second half of the year. How do I know that? Because of...
2) Shots Differential - Over the last 6 games, where we have only won 1 and have tied 3, we have outshot EVERY TEAM. That's right; every team. Even though two of the teams were ranked in the top 10 at the time (Washington and St. Louis). Here are the totals; UConn 19, Temple 9. UConn 11, USF 5. UConn 17, St. Louis 4. UConn 7, Syracuse 4. UConn 20, Bradley 6. UConn 11, Washington 6.

So essentially, with a very young team and very little senior leadership, coupled with the loss of players like Alvarez, this team is still outplaying their opponents. They haven't earned the winning results, but that is not due to formation choices or personnel choices (which is EXACTLY what the coach is responsible for). Not only are we growing into a stronger team that will make some noise by the end of the year, but we will be pretty nasty come next year as well. Sometimes, this board produces people who like to bitch without understanding what it is that they are bitching about. Oh yeah, and we were still ranked #24 today, and some of you make it sound like we are horrible. Lord help me...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Oh, by the way, another little factoid that hasn't been mentioned in this thread is the fact that our senior forward, Mamadou Doudou Diouf....you know, the one that was voted as the conference preseason offensive player of the year...hasn't seen the field the last three games. I wonder why everyone left that part out...

Reaction Score
I have not seen an UConn soccer game this year; but, if UConn was to make the College Cup down in Philly, I will be there.

As I have not seen a game live or on TV, I can only go by stats. ‘Shots’ to me translates into ‘pressure’ and not necessarily goal scoring opportunities as a shot is a shot, even if it was taken from 30 yards out and sailed into the bleachers. Thus, I prefer to look at saves & goals for true goal scoring opportunities.

1) UConn 1 (+ 5 saves = 6 opportunities, 14 shots) v St. Francis 0 (+ 1 saves = 1 opportunity, 5 shots)

2) UConn 1 (+ 7 saves = 8 opportunities, 19 shots) v BU 0 (+ 1 saves = 1 opportunity, 8 shots)

3) UConn 0 (+ 2 saves = 2 opportunities, 11 shots) v Washington 0 (+ 1 saves = 1 opportunity, 6 shots)

4) UConn 0 (+ 5 saves = 5 opportunities, 20 shots) v Bradley 1 (+ 0 saves = 1 opportunity, 6 shots)

5) UConn 0 (+ 5 saves = 5 opportunities, 7 shots) v Syracuse 1 (+ 0 saves = 1 opportunity, 4 shots)

6) UConn 2 (+ 5 saves = 7 opportunities, 17 shots) v St. Louis 1 (+ 1 saves = 2 opportunities, 4 shots)

7) UConn 1 (+ 3 saves = 4 opportunities, 11 shots) v USF 1 (+ 2 saves = 3 opportunities, 5 shots)

8) UConn 1 (+ 7 saves = 8 opportunities, 19 shots) v Temple 1 (+ 2 saves = 3 opportunities, 9 shots)

They key stat that sticks out after 8 games (excluding scrimmages) is that UConn’s opponents are converting about 40% of their scoring opportunities while UConn is only converting 12%. Based on stats only as I have not seen a game, that indicates that either UConn’s keeper play is weak and/or UConn’s defense is prone to making bad mistakes in areas that lead to an immediate scoring opportunity. Averaging 14 shots a game shows they are pressing opponents; but, the effectiveness (40% shots on goal) is questionable, too.

This ties into UConn’s recent history in the NCAA playoffs of not being able to score in clutch situations thus allowing opponents to win on PK’s at the end of the game. As that history now spans several teams, it may be a system/coaching issue more than a player issue. I do want UConn to win and Ried is a good coach; but, he needs to adapt as this is not working. We do not need another PP.

Hopefully they will turn things around as I would love to see UConn in the College Cup in Philly later this fall.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I have not seen an UConn soccer game this year; but, if UConn was to make the College Cup down in Philly, I will be there.

As I have not seen a game live or on TV, I can only go by stats. ‘Shots’ to me translates into ‘pressure’ and not necessarily goal scoring opportunities as a shot is a shot, even if it was taken from 30 yards out and sailed into the bleachers. Thus, I prefer to look at saves & goals for true goal scoring opportunities.

1) UConn 1 (+ 5 saves = 6 opportunities, 14 shots) v St. Francis 0 (+ 1 saves = 1 opportunity, 5 shots)

2) UConn 1 (+ 7 saves = 8 opportunities, 19 shots) v BU 0 (+ 1 saves = 1 opportunity, 8 shots)

3) UConn 0 (+ 2 saves = 2 opportunities, 11 shots) v Washington 0 (+ 1 saves = 1 opportunity, 6 shots)

4) UConn 0 (+ 5 saves = 5 opportunities, 20 shots) v Bradley 1 (+ 0 saves = 1 opportunity, 6 shots)

5) UConn 0 (+ 5 saves = 5 opportunities, 7 shots) v Syracuse 1 (+ 0 saves = 1 opportunity, 4 shots)

6) UConn 2 (+ 5 saves = 7 opportunities, 17 shots) v St. Louis 1 (+ 1 saves = 2 opportunities, 4 shots)

7) UConn 1 (+ 3 saves = 4 opportunities, 11 shots) v USF 1 (+ 2 saves = 3 opportunities, 5 shots)

8) UConn 1 (+ 7 saves = 8 opportunities, 19 shots) v Temple 1 (+ 2 saves = 3 opportunities, 9 shots)

They key stat that sticks out after 8 games (excluding scrimmages) is that UConn’s opponents are converting about 40% of their scoring opportunities while UConn is only converting 12%. Based on stats only as I have not seen a game, that indicates that either UConn’s keeper play is weak and/or UConn’s defense is prone to making bad mistakes in areas that lead to an immediate scoring opportunity. Averaging 14 shots a game shows they are pressing opponents; but, the effectiveness (40% shots on goal) is questionable, too.

This ties into UConn’s recent history in the NCAA playoffs of not being able to score in clutch situations thus allowing opponents to win on PK’s at the end of the game. As that history now spans several teams, it may be a system/coaching issue more than a player issue. I do want UConn to win and Ried is a good coach; but, he needs to adapt as this is not working. We do not need another PP.

Hopefully they will turn things around as I would love to see UConn in the College Cup in Philly later this fall.

Somewhat ridiculous analysis. A shot is, by definition, a breaking down of the defense. Whether the shot was accurate or not does not change that it was a breaking down of the defense. Whether the shot was saved does not change that it was a breaking down of the defense.

The idea that Reid isn't "adapting" to something is simply derived from people not seeing a championship since 2000. We've had some heartbreaking losses over the years (Creighton, Va Tech, etc.) in the tourney. That's not due to adaptation. Sometimes you don't convert on your chances and the other team does, and that's part of the life of a knockout tournament...

Reaction Score
Currently losing to UCF 1-0 in 1st half despite a 9-2 shot advantage.

Outside of Field Hockey this fall sports season has been an unmitigated disaster.

Reaction Score
UConn increases its shot advantage to 10-3.

UCF increases the lead to 2-0.

UCF has a record of 3-4-2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member