LA Times Skewers P For Playing McCombs, Arguing With Bennett | The Boneyard

LA Times Skewers P For Playing McCombs, Arguing With Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Wonderful national publicity to cap off the weekend. Saw a little of the Bennett stuff from the stands. Back to ESPN3 to see what happened. . . Generally dont like players questioning coaches but cutting Jimmy a lot of slack on this one. Id be frustrated too if lousy coaching was ruining my senior year.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/colle...e-football-spotlight-20121007,0,6711957.story

I don't cut Jimmy or Whitmer any slack for their actions on the sideline. You have an issue bring it up to the coach in the locker room.

I am also not a fan of a coach getting into a players face during a game, unless it is for an absolutely stupid personal foul. Coach P could have delivered a message by telling Bennet to have a seat, and sent someone else in at Tackle the remainder of the game.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I'd have to go back and look at the Bennett incident, but I have little problem with it. (For the record I had less of an issue with Calhoun yelling demonstratively at his players than other fans did, though a couple times it did make me uncomfortable). It's about time P showed some emotion during a game, usually all he ever does is look at his notes or make a face. But P deserves some criticism for his handling of the LM situation (and I think Jeff Jacobs is letting him off the hook a bit).

Reaction Score
Wonderful.........

Well, it's only the LA Times, can't have distribution of any more than what? 25 million?

Hey Coach! It's 2012 and this is the University of Connecticut. Get with the program or get out.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
the yelling doesn't bother me back and forth. but i hope to god one of those 2 told p to pack his bags.

Reaction Score
Yelling and f bombs is a joke to call out, have they ever seen Brian Kelly coach?

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Wonderful national publicity to cap off the weekend. Saw a little of the Bennett stuff from the stands. Back to ESPN3 to see what happened. . . Generally dont like players questioning coaches but cutting Jimmy a lot of slack on this one. Id be frustrated too if lousy coaching was ruining my senior year.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/colle...e-football-spotlight-20121007,0,6711957.story

I'm not a P fan but Jimmy Bennett has done his own part to up his senior season. He's not only soft but his 2+ false start penalties every game have hurt many of the few drives our offense has been able to muster. Including the one that he felt compelled to argue with his head coach about.

Reaction Score
I'm not a P fan but Jimmy Bennett has done his own part to Fecundity up his senior season. He's not only soft but his 2+ false start penalties every game have hurt many of the few drives our offense has been able to muster. Including the one that he felt compelled to argue with his head coach about.

I am not happy about his blow up on the sideline, but I respect Jimmy a great deal for what he has gone through to get here. He tore up his knee twice. He could have walked away after his latest injury, but he rehabbed, and came back. It's obvious he is not 100%, but the kid has guts. I always wonder how good he could have been if not for those two injuries.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The team is revolting. The fans are revolting. Should be a fun second half.

Reaction Score
The Bennett-P faceoff is at about the 3:00 mark on ESPN3. (end of 3rd qtr, start of 4th). No excuse for the false start but PP/GDL have given us so little margin for error the effect of a penalty like that is doubly magnified.

I wish P had been as eager to take on the ref for hosing us out of 9 seconds at the end of the first half as he was to yell at Jimmy.

Reaction Score
I see no issue with the Bennett thing.

As for McCombs, I'm not going to complain about that either. Have to figure that PP has more details about what happened than we do. I give him the benefit of the doubt at this point. I don't think we have a history of players getting into trouble and getting off light.

Reaction Score
Wow. Anyway you look at this, this is a complete dumpster fire.

Reaction Score
I see no issue with the Bennett thing.

As for McCombs, I'm not going to complain about that either. Have to figure that PP has more details about what happened than we do. I give him the benefit of the doubt at this point. I don't think we have a history of players getting into trouble and getting off light.

This is a new coaching staff. Randy Edsall held players accountable.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Yelling and f bombs is a joke to call out, have they ever seen Brian Kelly coach?

...or the legendary Jim Calhoun?

Story was a set up hack job. For those that don't realize it - the LA Times and Hartford Courant are owned by the same parent Company. This is the first step in increased media pressure.

Reaction Score
I'd have to go back and look at the Bennett incident, but I have little problem with it. (For the record I had less of an issue with Calhoun yelling demonstratively at his players than other fans did, though a couple times it did make me uncomfortable). It's about time P showed some emotion during a game, usually all he ever does is look at his notes or make a face. But P deserves some criticism for his handling of the LM situation (and I think Jeff Jacobs is letting him off the hook a bit).
I agree Calhoun did it too many times. Enormous difference between him and P is that Calhoun had earned the respect of his players, the coaching staff, and everyone around the program. Even if you were a freshman who didn't yet "get it" with Calhoun, he had earned your respect. P is galaxies away from having that status with his players.

Reaction Score
I was criticized pretty sharply 2 weeks ago for suggersting the coaches risk losing the players confidence because "you're not in the locker room". Was it really that hard to predict? An offensive lineman gets little credit for slugging it out in the trenches but plenty of blame when there's a sack or a penalty. Sometimes it's just lousy coaching that puts them in a bad situation.

Reaction Score
If there's one thing I don't want to hear right now it's Randy gushing. Randy was and is a fraud. Randy played by Randy rules until he couldn't afford to anymore. Save the Randy would've done this and that crap.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i hope the NYT and NYP do a story now also

Reaction Score
If there's one thing I don't want to hear right now it's Randy gushing. Randy was and is a fraud. Randy played by Randy rules until he couldn't afford to anymore. Save the Randy would've done this and that crap.

No Randy gushing. Just stating he held players accountable for off the field transgressions. Its true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom