Kyla Irwin On Moving To UConn On Monday | The Boneyard

Kyla Irwin On Moving To UConn On Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Irwin won't actually graduate from State College High in Pennsylvania until June 11. But she is wrapping up her final exams this week and will spend part of her weekend with her mother's family in Branford, Connecticut, before moving to Storrs on Monday. Summer classes begin on Tuesday.

"I want to find our team chemistry and really build relationships with the team," Irwin said. "Chemistry determines how successful you are. When a team gets along well it makes playing basketball so much easier and so much more fun.

"I'm going to work as hard as I can every day. I don't want to let my teammates down and I want to help them reach all our goals. I feel like I can never be prepared enough. But between my mom, brothers, and sisters, they've played sports in college and they have told me how hard it's going to be and how hard I have to work. But I want that challenge and I know it will be a learning experience."

"The one thing, from the first time I saw her play, is that Kyla is high energy and she runs the floor harder than most college players do," Marissa Moseley said. "She is more excited for other people's success than her own. She doesn't really miss layups and is a pretty good passer. She can hit outside shots and is comfortable stepping out to the 3-point line, so she's versatile there. She's not a super-big kid, about Morgan Tuck's height, but I think she'll be skilled around the basket. She finishes with both hands really well.

She'll be joined on campus by fellow Class of 2016 recruits Crystal Dangerfield - who will be in Colorado Springs this weekend for the United States U-18 national team trials - and Molly Bent for the five-week summer session.

"It's been my dream to wear a UConn uniform," Irwin said. "I'm really, really excited about what's to come. This chapter of my life at State College is coming to an end and I had a great time. It's time for a new chapter."

MORE...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Great article. Other good stuff, showing how high they are on Kyla:

"The one thing, from the first time I saw her play, is that Kyla is high energy and she runs the floor harder than most college players do," Moseley said. "She is more excited for other people's success than her own. She doesn't really miss layups and is a pretty good passer. She can hit outside shots and is comfortable stepping out to the 3-point line, so she's versatile there. She's not a super-big kid, about Morgan Tuck's height, but I think she'll be skilled around the basket. She finishes with both hands really well.

"Because she works so hard, she'll always be able to get better and better and better. If you have a mindset that you want to put in the work, and obviously high school to college is going to be a huge jump, you'll improve. Her attitude, her personality, her approach to everything is, 'I want to work hard. I want to get better. I want to do this. I'm coachable. I will listen.' "

Reaction Score
Irwin is intriguing, is she a bigger Kelly Faris ?
Why that comparison? Because of the hustle factor? Sounds as if Kyla is more of an offensive threat (different positions, of course).

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
More from Marissa:

"Kyla will need to be able to consistently make outside shots," Moseley said. "She's good in the lane. But to play here, one of our things is that our big guys can shoot and they're good passers. Of course, how can you work on passing by yourself? But you can make a lot of shots. So if she can do that from the 15-foot, 17-foot range, that will help her. And she needs to get in the best shape of her life. We're going to take it to another level and we know you can only prepare so much for college. But if she can make shots and she can be in great shape when she gets here, that will give her a big head start with those five weeks that we can work with her."

One of Kyla's stats that I really like is 84.5% FT shooting. That makes her an asset when she gets fouled, and it means that she is a good shooter. In the several videos I've seen, Kyla does run the floor pretty well, has a good handle, uses both hands well, and can shoot from the arc. She doesn't have Morgan's skill level, but she is close to Morgan's height and build. As Marisa notes, conditioning will be a big factor. That's about desire and hard work, which is Kyla's forte.

I think both Kyla and Molly will surprise. Neither one is a high profile player or an elite athlete, but both are very smart on the court (Molly is brilliant in the classroom too) and hard working. At a minimum, they will be key glue players. I think they will contribute more than some folks think.

Reaction Score
Why that comparison? Because of the hustle factor? Sounds as if Kyla is more of an offensive threat (different positions, of course).

All I have seen of Irwin is a short video of her against weak competition. She looks like a smart, hard nosed player. As far as position goes, I guess she is a stretch 4 . Does Geno have clearly defined positions ? it looks like a lot of positions are interchangeable .

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Irwin is intriguing, is she a bigger Kelly Faris ?
Faris was 5'11" and a guard. Irwin is 6'2" and a forward. I think a more apt comparison would be Irwin to Camara. Both have similar games, are a similar size, but I think Camara is better all around. We will see. They will effectively be part of the same class - Camara will have 3 years eligibility left, but won't be able to play till Irwin's sophomore year.

Reaction Score
Faris was 5'11" and a guard. Irwin is 6'2" and a forward. I think a more apt comparison would be Irwin to Camara. Both have similar games, are a similar size, but I think Camara is better all around. We will see. They will effectively be part of the same class - Camara will have 3 years eligibility left, but won't be able to play till Irwin's sophomore year.
Because it's summer and we have so little to really discuss, I'll extend beyond any "facts". From what I "saw" of Camara (2 minute high school film!!), she is actually a bit less mobile than Irwin. She's definitely stronger and therefore maybe tougher under the boards. But Irwin has an "offensive" mentality, and can drive to the hoop, something I didn't see with Camara, who seems to me to be an inside and occasional outside scorer, but not a fluid offensive player. So, I wouldn't be surprised if Irwin actually poses a bigger offensive threat and Camara gives greater physicality. But comparing short high school films is a fool's game (call me a fool!).

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
What I saw with Irwin was really good footwork and balance and a good touch on her shots. Physically she reminds me of a shorter Dolson who had those same attributes and I think the comparison to Tuck is also pretty valid - I think Tuck came in a little quicker and with a higher jump, but Irwin might actually have a better outside shot. Camara, the little I have seen is significantly stronger and more of a power player than Irwin. If Irwin can commit to the kind of conditioning work that Stef did between freshman and sophomore year (and I suspect she may already be focused on that this summer) I think she could be a real 'sleeper' pick-up.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
I just want to say how excited I am about Irwin.... I love kids who have parents as coaches. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the came in and did well her first year.

Reaction Score
I just want to say how excited I am about Irwin.... I love kids who have parents as coaches. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the came in and did well her first year.
Who was the last one? Faris?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99