Not open for further replies.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
10727749_821612481224729_860092854_n.jpg

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I cannot locate her on Hoopgurlz Super 60 for 2016. Are we sure she committed to UCONN?

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
HOLY COW!!!!!!!!!

First a point guard now a power forward/ center.

Gotta love it!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Interesting background courtesy of John A: http://touch.courant.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-81742394/

And she is a player a state connection that goes back to the start of Geno Auriemma’s coaching career at UConn in 1985.
Irwin, from State College (Pa.) High, visited UConn last weekend to watch practice and meet with the coaching staff and players.

Irwin is the daughter of State College’s longtime coach, Bethany Irwin, the former Bethany Collins, who played basketball at Branford High and helped the Hornets to two state championships until her graduation in 1984, when she began her career at Penn State playing for Rene Portland.

Collins was a teammate at Branford of Krista Blomquist, one the players on Geno’s first UConn team in 1985-86. And they both played high school basketball for Dave Maloney, a friend of Auriemma’s who has worked with him on many educational initiatives over the years.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Wow! Well I DID expect her to stay in PA. Pleasant surprise.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
HOLY COW!!!!!!!!!

First a point guard now a power forward/ center.

Gotta love it!
At 6'1" I pray they don't consider her a center. I think she's a strong, physical, slightly undersized post player.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Bethany Collins, Krista and Beth Chandler daughter of former Cheshire Boy's Basketball coach in the 60s and 70s were all part of what I think was a two time CT AAA State Championship team. Chandler I believe attended Harvard. Need to call my dad and tell him Walt Collins grand daughter is coming home to CT.

Mom and Dad were good friends with the Chandlers growing up in the same area of town. I believe Joe had been on a Branford team in the 40s that were state champions, also.

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I am not surprised that Geno and CD would want a kid like this. She's a gym rat who will work her tail off, do a lot of the dirty work and be all about the team. Coach's kid, too. Not every kid on a team is going to be a McD's AA.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
State College girls’ basketball coach Bethany Irwin remembers when her daughter, Little Lions’ junior hoops standout Kyla Irwin, used to make posters when she was a little kid.

The subject of those posters: UConn women’s basketball.

“UConn has always been my dream,” Kyla Irwin told PennLive. “I remember sitting in class in fourth grade and telling my teacher that’s where I wanted to go.”

This week, Irwin’s dream came true.

State College’s top scorer and rebounder paid a visit to UConn on Sunday and Monday, and before she left, coach Geno Auriemma and his staff extended a scholarship offer to Irwin.

She said yes. Immediately.

“No pressure,” Kyla Irwin said. “This was it. This is what I wanted. I couldn’t pass it up. This is where I wanted to be, 110 percent.”

Last season, Irwin popped in 19.6 points and grabbed 12.7 points per game for the Little Lions, who finished with the lead pack in Mid-Penn Commonwealth play, won the District 6-AAAA title and advanced to the second round of the PIAA playoffs.

Irwin, a two-time PennLive Big 15 all-star team and an all-state selection last season, also blocked 39 shots, shot 80 percent from the foul line, and she’ll begin her junior season with 936 career points.

“This has always been Kyla’s dream,” Bethany Irwin said. “It has always been UConn and it’s always been playing basketball for UConn. This was definitely her decision, and I love the fact that she’s following her dream.”

After playing for her mom the next two prep season, Irwin will be heading to UConn, where she’ll be playing for the Huskies’ lightning-rod coach, and for one of the most successful basketball programs — men’s or women’s — in the country.

“They didn’t really give me a position,” Kyla Irwin said. “They said that the things I’m good at, I’ll do. And that the things I need to get better, I’ll improve.”

http://highschoolsports.pennlive.co...ndout-kyla-irwin-commits-to-powerhouse-uconn/

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I am not surprised that Geno and CD would want a kid like this. She's a gym rat who will work her tail off, do a lot of the dirty work and be all about the team. Coach's kid, too. Not every kid on a team is going to be a McD's AA.
She likely will bring stuff similar to Gardler and that may be just what the staff are hoping for from her. Her mom was a very tough post player.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger