Kvetching over Rodney Purvis....well sort of. | The Boneyard

Kvetching over Rodney Purvis....well sort of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think this was brought up a week or so ago, but I wasn't all that broken up when we missed out on Purvis during the spring. But after seeing him play in an All-star game (can't remember if it was the McD AA or some other event) a couple weeks back followed by hearing that he was seriously thinking of coming here, but in the end stayed home with NC State, it gave me some pause. It sounded like if UConn didn't have the cloud of missing the 2013 NCAA tournament over its head, he just might have come here.

I wasn't all that wowed when I saw him play last summer, but I was impressed a few couple weeks ago by his all around game. He showed incredible range on his 3-ball and was fierce driving through traffic and finishing at the rim. The first time I saw him you could tell he was quick but wildly out of control with very poor shot selection. This last time he looked more under control and his shot selection looked better probably because a lot of his shots found the bottom of the net.

Anyhow, NC State got a good one and did a nice job of loading up with talent. If a player who is interested in UConn lands elsewhere, I'm all for it when it's at a program that has the chance of knocking off dook and/or UNC. It would be nice to see someone other than those two teams come out atop of the ACC. Granted getting a tad off topic, but I'd love to see SU do that once they join the ACC, but I hope Pitt gets their ass kicked. SU winning the ACC right away, IMO, would make a statement as to how dominant the BE was as a conference...like we didn't know that already.

connectikev

RIP, Kev (3/4/2018)
Reaction Score
I think this was brought up a week or so ago, but I wasn't all that broken up when we missed out on Purvis during the spring. But after seeing him play in an All-star game (can't remember if it was the McD AA or some other event) a couple weeks back followed by hearing that he was seriously thinking of coming here, but in the end stayed home with NC State, it gave me some pause. It sounded like if UConn didn't have the cloud of missing the 2013 NCAA tournament over its head, he just might have come here.

I wasn't all that wowed when I saw him play last summer, but I was impressed a few couple weeks ago by his all around game. He showed incredible range on his 3-ball and was fierce driving through traffic and finishing at the rim. The first time I saw him you could tell he was quick but wildly out of control with very poor shot selection. This last time he looked more under control and his shot selection looked better probably because a lot of his shots found the bottom of the net.

Anyhow, NC State got a good one and did a nice job of loading up with talent. If a player who is interested in UConn lands elsewhere, I'm all for it when it's at a program that has the chance of knocking off dook and/or UNC. It would be nice to see someone other than those two teams come out atop of the ACC. Granted getting a tad off topic, but I'd love to see SU do that once they join the ACC, but I hope Pitt gets their ass kicked. SU winning the ACC right away, IMO, would make a statement as to how dominant the BE was as a conference...like we didn't know that already.

DM - Bit of a misstatement on your part to comment that you watched someone play in an All Star game (McD or otherwise) and really liked the player's all around game. Other than shot blocking - There is no defense played in any of those games. As for players that I would be interested in seeing come to UConn - well I believe that JC has always been consistent - playing defense well gets you minutes.
That said - I'm sure Purvis' offensive game is good - but I try never to waste thoughts on "almost" or "never were" UConn players.

Reaction Score
DM - Bit of a misstatement on your part to comment that you watched someone play in an All Star game (McD or otherwise) and really liked the player's all around game. Other than shot blocking - There is no defense played in any of those games. As for players that I would be interested in seeing come to UConn - well I believe that JC has always been consistent - playing defense well gets you minutes.
That said - I'm sure Purvis' offensive game is good - but I try never to waste thoughts on "almost" or "never were" UConn players.
Did you watch the McD AA game this year? They actually played some D in it. Granted not like a real game. With that said, you still get a good feel for a players game. You seem to be hung up on the words "all around game". Let's just say I was impressed with his ability to score from all over the floor, his plus-handle, plus-quickness, plus-hops, etc. He impressed me a lot more in that game than he did the prior one I saw.

Maybe you don't take interest in the near-misses, but I always like to keep an eye on how the players that got away do in college. Every player that JC went after hard that does well, simply tells me how great an eye for talent he has. Not all highly ranked players live up to their rankings. It just seems many of the players that JC went after the hardest just about always out-perform their ranking. There are some that don't and I can't help but wonder if they had come here, JC could have developed them into much better players. The kid Stepheson (sp?) that went to UNC then transferred to some PAC-10 school comes to mind. I wonder if JC could have developed him into a much better player than what he turned out to be.

Anyhow, I found it interesting that we came very close to landing him per his own words and that he happened to be a player that I was not initially all that impressed with but later appreciated his game a great deal more.

As for Kvetching over him, that was a gross overstatement. I just like saying that word. Why? I really don't know. :)

Reaction Score
Omar comin'

OC committed early and has stuck with it. We will take him happily.

Reaction Score
Hes a beast! way better then Omar! the funny thing is Rodney reclassified this year to be class of 2012 he was suppose to be class of 2013. He will probably be a 2 and done player he has those kinds of skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom