Kudos to USA Women's Soccer Team | The Boneyard

Kudos to USA Women's Soccer Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Yep, congrats. Best they've played in awhile. Got a couple of decisive calls that went their way, but that's the way luck goes sometimes. Overall though, I think they outplayed the Germans, which surprised me. Good surprise though. On to the final. Like to see England there, but am anticipating Japan....again.

Reaction Score
Yep, congrats. Best they've played in awhile. Got a couple of decisive calls that went their way, but that's the way luck goes sometimes. Overall though, I think they outplayed the Germans, which surprised me. Good surprise though. On to the final. Like to see England there, but am anticipating Japan....again.
Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do you even so do to them-----Mathew 7:12

Reaction Score
O'Hara's goal was a thing of beauty and the product of practice and hard work. When Lloyd appeared to be breaking free , O'Hara sprinted to a spot so that she could be between the ball and the defended. Perfect execution. Reminded me of a classic UCONN back door play!!

Reaction Score

Yes, definitely had the better of play. As mentioned on the other board, they looked much better using last night's 4-2-3-1 than they had in the 4-2-2 used most often before last night. It took Ellis a long time to figure it out, but it looks like things finally clicked.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
One thing that impressed me was the coach's ability/decision to change it up based on the players and how stagnant the team looked in previous games. I was surprised and impressed...

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
As I read all this hard earned and richly deserved praise for our wonderful US women's team, I was disappointed that there has been no mention of Hope Solo. She is the goalie who gave up a lone goal to Australia in game one (first half), then shut every other opponent. (Better ERA than Sandy Koufax in his immortal prime:rolleyes:)

We all know that he teammates have excelled at defense and we also know that Ms Solo has been involved in some unseemly extra-curricular issues that have drawn scorn from many fans. Still, it is fair to ask if USA would be playing for the world championship on Sunday had she been suspended or dismissed.

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
We all know that he teammates have excelled at defense and we also know that Ms Solo has been involved in some unseemly extra-curricular issues that have drawn scorn from many fans. Still, it is fair to ask if USA would be playing for the world championship on Sunday had she been suspended or dismissed.
Who knows? But I don't remember any really fantastic saves she's had to make the last few games. Most likely with the defense playing the way it has been, Harris or Naeher could have probably gotten the job done. On the other hand, the defense may not be playing the same way without Solo behind them?? One of those, we'll never know.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Who knows? But I don't remember any really fantastic saves she's had to make the last few games. Most likely with the defense playing the way it has been, Harris or Naeher could have probably gotten the job done. On the other hand, the defense may not be playing the same way without Solo behind them?? One of those, we'll never know.

Some teammates have been quoted as crediting Hope for stimulating their confidence and quality of play.

And stats (in this instance) don't lie. In international football parlance, Hope Solo has "five clean sheets."

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Feels like Japan has destiny going with them and they will win the World Cup. They've had some amazing wins, especially last night against England. They're getting all the Breaks.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Feels like Japan has destiny going with them and they will win the World Cup. They've had some amazing wins, especially last night against England. They're getting all the Breaks.

Moreso than destiny, Japan has had an easy schedule going for them. They had an easy group and they had the top 3 teams in the world (Germany, USA, France) on the other side of the bracket.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Destiny was 2011. We put that to bed at the Olympics in 2012.

Reaction Score
The only prayer Japan has is if they borrow a page from the ND playbook and flop all over the pitch.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
KO KOs the Germans. That was a beautiful goal!

Yes, the U.S. played their best game of they tourney. If they playas well against Japan, they take the cup home.

The end of the England v. Japan game was heartbreaking. I feel for the Brit defender. I saw the Norway v. Germany semifinal in Sydney in 2000. The only goal in the game came when a German defender softly headed to ball to her keeper, but the keeper moved toward the ball. It went over her head and rolled into the net. Aargh!

I just got tickets for the Gold Medal game in Rio, so I hope the U.S. keeps up their stellar play.

Reaction Score
Having watched as few of the games can't help but think both Germany and the US are better than England and Japan. While soccer, more so than any sport, can turn on unlucky bounces or bad calls...absent that happening the US beats Japan 2-0.

Reaction Score
Destiny was 2011. We put that to bed at the Olympics in 2012.

True. Ironically the U.S. had the better of play in the 2011 WC and lost - but Japan probably had the better of play in the 2012 Olympics. Hope Solo had to make a great save in that game in the final 10 minutes to preserve the win.

BTW, do you know if the Olympics is once again going to restrict the rosters to only 18 players to save money? If so, it may be hard to roster Wambach and Rampone, as much as I'd like to see them (especially Rampone) go out with an Olympic gold.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
If USA can get their best speed deployed on the flanks, it could be a long game for the ladies of the chrysanthemum. Morgan, LeRoux, Press, and 'Pino need to get minutes and touches. The Japanese will press on defense. They must be made to pay for that.

Reaction Score
For some reason this the first year I've been interested in the U.S. Women's soccer team. I think they're great but it's unfortunate that Hope Solo had that family trouble.

WIN tomorrow U.S!

USA!

USA!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members