Kudos for Bobby | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kudos for Bobby

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What has your boy ever won? He's had his chances and didn't get it done. Shouldn't you be looking for fresh blood?

My boy Maddon in six years with Tampa has won a pennant, 2 division titles, 1 wild card, two AL manger of the year awards, and one Chuck Tanner MLB manager of the year award. As a bench coach he won a ring with the 2002 Angels. In 6 years he has dwarfed Bobby V's 15 year career.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Maddon is ten times the manager Bobby V is. Ten. Times.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
If Madden was manager of the Sox I would be worried about them. With Bobby V, I look forward to the show.

Reaction Score
You're right, but nothing wrong with a litte refresher.

I agree with this....new voice and face was needed and maybe a little more passion at this point, at least as he drives these things home.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
My boy Maddon in six years with Tampa has won a pennant, 2 division titles, 1 wild card, two AL manger of the year awards, and one Chuck Tanner MLB manager of the year award. As a bench coach he won a ring with the 2002 Angels. In 6 years he has dwarfed Bobby V's 15 year career.

So he's never won the big one either.

Reaction Score
You have to go 5,000 miles away to find to find a team he won it all with. The 2005 Chiba Lotte Marines led by Benny Agbyani and Matt Franco. Come on man.

I never brought up how he is as an in game manager and I can imply he was never good enought to beat the braves because he never did.

I would take 7 other manangers in the AL, 8 if you count Francona who I would rather have running my team then Bobby V.
Go ahead and list them. We'll see how they do and how Bobby does this year.

Reaction Score
Yes and these guys have been playing baseball for years.....if you can't throw you won't suddenly find out how - if you can't run the bases, you won't be able to make the right decisions when the games begin....I get it and that's great he's coaching.....Torre was a great fundamentals teacher and Bernie Williams and Jorge Posada never could run the bases......you either have it or you don't at this point of your career - baseball intellect!!

I hope Bobby does well.........;)
Well if you can't throw "hard" at this point you won't. But it's foolish to say you won't hit the cutoff man if you're forced to work on it. And it's foolish to suggest that you won't get better at running the bases if you work on it.
I'm sure once these guys hit the pros and are good, they fall into lazy habits because they're good enough hitters, that that's what they fall back on. Which is why you have to re-train their baseball brain.
Carl Crawford said that he liked this year's spring training compared to last year because the players were actually working on things non-stop compared to last year where they hardly did anything. Explain to me how that can't help a team once the season starts? It certainly can't hurt.

Reaction Score
go for it

Well, I realize that if I list them out, you'll probably try to discredit them one by one so I'll preface you doing that by saying, this list is based on having Valentine coach my Mets and having lived through a Bobby V Era. If given the choice of getting Bobby V back....or my choice of any AL manager over him? I'd take:

1) I'd take Francona, even though he's one year removed. In a second.
2) Jim Leyland
3) Mike Sciocia
4) Joe Maddon
5) Ron Gardenhire
6) Buck Showalter
7) Joe Girardi
----
8) Probably take Ron Washington. Not really 100% sure of that one.

Reaction Score
Just felt like bumping this one up to the top again. Wondered if the Bobby V Bandwagon had gotten any lighter over the last 3-4 weeks.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Just felt like bumping this one up to the top again. Wondered if the Bobby V Bandwagon had gotten any lighter over the last 3-4 weeks.
Yeah the booing showed exactly how well Sox fans understand the game. It's Bobby's fault that the Sox have nobody in the bullpen and nothing at shortstop.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

Wow, it's been awhile since I've heard a Met fan gloat.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

What we liked about Bobby V., his ability to bring young players along while putting other non-stars in a position where they can contribute seems to be keeping the Sox from totally falling out of contention.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I still laugh out loud thinking about his fight with the ump whose gum fell out hitting Bobby V right in the lips. Bobby V stopped arguing and walked away pointing at the ump and just staring.

Among the most classic manager v. ump spats I've ever seen.

Reaction Score
And.....one more bump of this one to revisit some of the April/May comments.

And, I would take every one of the managers I listed over Bobby V, for certain.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Go ahead and list them. We'll see how they do and how Bobby does this year.

Well, he listed:

Jim Leyland
Mike Sciocia
Joe Maddon
Ron Gardenhire
Buck Showalter
Joe Girardi
Ron Washington

Congrats, Bobby V had a better record than Gardenhire.

Reaction Score
Bobby is irrelevant to the Sox problems. He didn't make things better or worse. To say Lester and Beckett underperformed would be kind. They sucked and put a lot of innings on the bullpen along with Dubront who rarely makes it past 5 or 6 innings. Dice K looks like a batting practice pitcher when he can actually throw a strike.
I'd say injuries were a big issue but for most of the season but the replacements played very well. The bullpen was also very good until they got burned out.
Bobby is as good of a game manager as anyone on the list. You can't win without starting pitching and that is the reason the Sox are finishing in the cellar. I wouldn't bring him back because I think he is a little nuts but you can't even give him a small percentage of the blame for this abysmal season. Nobody on the posted list would have won with this team.

Reaction Score
Bobby is irrelevant to the Sox problems. He didn't make things better or worse. To say Lester and Beckett underperformed would be kind. They sucked and put a lot of innings on the bullpen along with Dubront who rarely makes it past 5 or 6 innings. Dice K looks like a batting practice pitcher when he can actually throw a strike.
I'd say injuries were a big issue but for most of the season but the replacements played very well. The bullpen was also very good until they got burned out.
Bobby is as good of a game manager as anyone on the list. You can't win without starting pitching and that is the reason the Sox are finishing in the cellar. I wouldn't bring him back because I think he is a little nuts but you can't even give him a small percentage of the blame for this abysmal season. Nobody on the posted list would have won with this team.
I agree with you. Since I started this thread perhaps I should comment now that the season is essentially over. My original comment had to do with some of the things Bobby was trying to do in spring training. I still think that they were the right things to do and were sorely needed on a team which had grown soft. However, I still think the biggest culprit was the front office. There were some obvious holes in the roster during the winter and they did next to nothing to fill them. The moves that Ben made, almost without exception, turned out bad. In his one big move, he traded away a ton of talent and dumped a lot of salary. Whether he strengthened a weak minor league system remains to be seen. I agree that Bobby did not help the situation and he should go but I think he should follow Ben out the door.

Reaction Score
I agree with you. Since I started this thread perhaps I should comment now that the season is essentially over. My original comment had to do with some of the things Bobby was trying to do in spring training. I still think that they were the right things to do and were sorely needed on a team which had grown soft. However, I still think the biggest culprit was the front office. There were some obvious holes in the roster during the winter and they did next to nothing to fill them. The moves that Ben made, almost without exception, turned out bad. In his one big move, he traded away a ton of talent and dumped a lot of salary. Whether he strengthened a weak minor league system remains to be seen. I agree that Bobby did not help the situation and he should go but I think he should follow Ben out the door.

It's easy to trade your best players. Ben hasn't made a good move yet.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
And.....one more bump of this one to revisit some of the April/May comments.

And, I would take every one of the managers I listed over Bobby V, for certain.

Bobby V. gave you the best Mets season you've had in a quarter-century? Why the hate?

Reaction Score
It's easy to trade your best players. Ben hasn't made a good move yet.
It wasn't exactly easy to dump those contracts and someone should be applauded for timing it perfectly. Sox season was over, Dodgers still had a chance and wanted to make a big splash as new owners. Then you also had perfect execution in getting the big names past the waiver wire. They applauded themselves and everyone was in fact pleased, but now the reality is sinking in that the guys that made those mistakes in the first place are still in charge.

Three biggest mistakes last offseason and who was primarily responsible:
1. Valentine (Lucchino)
2. Daniel Bard (Cherington?)
3. Papelbon (Everyone)

Regardless of the injuries and starting pitcher crap it is absolutely unquestionable that Bobby V alienating his coaches, players and himself. Today is his last day.

Bard thing was unquestionably a debacle perhaps even worse than Joba Chamberlain Yankee screwup which magnifies the mistake since we can't needle Yankee fans about that anymore.

The decision not to give Papelbon big $ essentially started all of the other snowballs and was also partially due to over-commitments to Lackey, Gonzalez, Crawford etc.. but bottom line is they'd have been way better off overpaying a guy WHO ACTUALLY PERFORMED WELL IN BOSTON! I don't understand why everyone signed off on just letting him go whereas they are allowed to overpay everyone else. The Papelbon contract may turn sour in its late years, but no question Sox would have been better and maybe had room for different moves if they'd kept a strength.

Truth is we don't know if Cherington is a good GM or not and until Larry Lucchino leaves. Larry is running things and appears to have lost his fastball, changeup and curve. He's essentially Josh Becketting the President of Red Sox position.

Reaction Score
The moves that Ben made, almost without exception, turned out bad. In his one big move, he traded away a ton of talent and dumped a lot of salary. Whether he strengthened a weak minor league system remains to be seen.

Just an FYI, but the Sox minor league system will likely be ranked in the top 10 by most minor league publications when they do their year-end final evals.

Reaction Score
Well, he listed:

Jim Leyland
Mike Sciocia
Joe Maddon
Ron Gardenhire
Buck Showalter
Joe Girardi
Ron Washington

Congrats, Bobby V had a better record than Gardenhire.
I'll admit I didn't realize how bad the clubhouse would get even with Bobby V in there, for that he has to go just so everyone can start fresh and get rid of so much negativity.
He does not have to go for his tactical decisions however.
Keep in mind a few things..
1) He didn't want Bard to start, Bard wanted to start and the front office went along with it. Bobby looked good here.
2) He wanted Ciriaco to start the year at SS rather than Aviles. Bobby looked pretty good here, not that Ciriaco is a huge advantage over aviles, but he is a slight advantage probably.
3) He had no problems taking Youkilis's time and giving it to Middlebrooks. When Youk came back from injuries Bobby got his wish and got to keep Middlebrooks who had a very nice year. Bobby looked pretty good here even though Youk went on to be prettygood with Chicago.

So yes Bobby needs to go, but let's not pretend those other managers would have done wonders with this team this year. At least Bobby helped us get a top 6 or 7 pick in the draft and a chance to sign free agents without losing draft picks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom