KO on Mustapha Heron | Page 3 | The Boneyard

KO on Mustapha Heron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This 100%.

Auburn fan here, just want to make some points on why $300k story seems unreasonable

-Auburn 'allegedly' paid Cam Newton $180k, no way a fringe 5* basketball player gets $300k

-Auburn is in Alabama, we can't afford $300k for both 85 FB players and 13+ BBall players.

-Bruce prefers payment in BBQs not cash

We may have paid him, but $300k seems like a stretch brochachos

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I wouldn't be surprised if there are some shenanigans going on, but you can say that about a lot of places. Pearl is a charismatic guy who has proven he can coach. He's at Auburn, not Fordham. The SEC might not be a basketball hotbed but they've proven that you can build something there with the right coach.

Ask barkley and the persons, oh crap that was along time ago. Suddenly dapper Pearl and his barbecues and shizaam 4-5* players appear. Sorry his coaching and Auburn just aren't that enticing without..!

Reaction Score
Auburn fan here, just want to make some points on why $300k story seems unreasonable

-Auburn 'allegedly' paid Cam Newton $180k, no way a fringe 5* basketball player gets $300k

-Auburn is in Alabama, we can't afford $300k for both 85 FB players and 13+ BBall players.

-Bruce prefers payment in BBQs not cash

We may have paid him, but $300k seems like a stretch brochachos

I like this guy. No b!tching that we would have the audacity to suggest that AU paid for Heron. Just, "if we did, it wouldn't have been that much." I'm sure that you become so desensitized with attacks from SEC football fans that a criticism like this seems like child's play.

Reaction Score
Have to be honest as I can be for once:oops:, hope he goes 1-12 gets in foul trouble and loses. May be a great kid but can't respect the pattern. Never considered playing for his hometown HS team and never considered playing for his home state university.

Sorry no rooting interest here!

Reaction Score
Ask barkley and the persons, oh crap that was along time ago. Suddenly dapper Pearl and his barbecues and shizaam 4-5* players appear. Sorry his coaching and Auburn just aren't that enticing without..!

To be fair, 6/8 HS recruits on the team are from Alabama or Atlanta (1HR away). The only consistently ranked schools in 300miles are Duke/UNC/Kentucky. Not really a stretch to think Pearl, with multiple elite 8s, can beat out the other garbage programs for the blue blood scraps (AKA not top 20)

The one player that was universally coveted was 5* Austin Wiley. His moms playing # hangs from the rafter (and his jersey) while his dad played with Wesley Person at AU

Reaction Score
To be fair, 6/8 HS recruits on the team are from Alabama or Atlanta (1HR away). The only consistently ranked schools in 300miles are Duke/UNC/Kentucky. Not really a stretch to think Pearl, with multiple elite 8s, can beat out the other garbage programs for the blue blood scraps (AKA not top 20)

The one player that was universally coveted was 5* Austin Wiley. His moms playing # hangs from the rafter (and his jersey) while his dad played with Wesley Person at AU

Actually nice to see kids "stay home" once in a while. I mean thats my point on Heron - not to even consider UConn?

Reaction Score
Actually nice to see kids "stay home" once in a while. I mean thats my point on Heron - not to even consider UConn?

While a lot of kids want to stay near home, that isn't for everyone though.
Auburn High School had a top 100PF choose Mississippi State over Auburn. Well known he didn't want to stay at home

If you have a golden ticket to go to school anywhere in the country for free (maybe some extra spend$ too), you may be interested in branching out from home

Reaction Score
I'll add this, AU is a football first school. We would never allow our basketball program put our football in jeopardy with a large scale recruiting scandal. People want us to pay for the Cam Newton scandal plus perceive Bruce as a cheater, we have a spotlight on us

Hard to see us agreeing to pay an outrageous amount let alone us not getting caught if it was so well known

Edit: Not saying we are above paying players, just not stupid enough to shoot up heroin in front of the police

Reaction Score
Not really a stretch to think Pearl, with multiple elite 8s, can beat out the other garbage programs for the blue blood scraps (AKA not top 20)

While it pleases me to see someone call Pitt "garbage" I will give them a nod here and say it is a fine place to play basketball. So is Maryland. Trust me, these 2 schools are in my own personal top 5 most hated. In fact, they are only behind Duke, Syracuse and Kentucky.

But, they are good basketball schools.

Reaction Score
While it pleases me to see someone call Pitt "garbage" I will give them a nod here and say it is a fine place to play basketball. So is Maryland. Trust me, these 2 schools are in my own personal top 5 most hated. In fact, they are only behind Duke, Syracuse and Kentucky.

But, they are good basketball schools.

Heron dropped his commitment to Pitt when Jamie Dixon and the assistant who played with his dad left Pitt.

Considering his final list had Miss St and Alabama as well, seems like he was interested in the south though

Reaction Score
Also, I meant for the 8 local kids of which 6 are 4/5* kids we weren't going up against many elite programs

I've always likedPitt going back to the Howland days. They are a good program who effectively canned Dixon at the wrong time

Reaction Score
Heron dropped his commitment to Pitt when Jamie Dixon and the assistant who played with his dad left Pitt.

Considering his final list had Miss St and Alabama as well, seems like he was interested in the south though

Yes, I know about that.

Reaction Score
Also, I meant for the 8 local kids of which 6 are 4/5* kids we weren't going up against many elite programs

I've always likedPitt going back to the Howland days. They are a good program who effectively canned Dixon at the wrong time

Well, under Howland, they did have an SEC look to them. The players thought they were playing football, not basketball.

Reaction Score
Yes, I know about that.

I would say that Pitt dropped out of the race rather than Auburn beat out Pitt

When Heron committed, the feel in Auburn camps was we got lucky that we stayed on him while others backed off when he committed to Pitt

I don't think we land Heron if Dixon stayed at Pitt or if other programs didn't reshuffle target list

Reaction Score
I would say that Pitt dropped out of the race rather than Auburn beat out Pitt

When Heron committed, the feel in Auburn camps was we got lucky that we stayed on him while others backed off when he committed to Pitt

I don't think we land Heron if Dixon stayed at Pitt or if other programs didn't reshuffle target list

Heron decommitted from Pitt in spring of 2015 and committed to Auburn in summer of 2015. Dixon left Pitt in Spring of 2016...

Reaction Score
Auburn may have given him money, I'm not naive enough to think every major school isn't committing recruiting violations, but I don't think they paid him more than Cam Newton, that would be hard to believe.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
People from Waterbury will tell you, apparently his father got paid around 300k for Heron to attend Auburn. Gotta take everything with a grain of salt but that's the word around the camp fire.

This is all over the place among the state AAU circuit, although I didn't know how much money they were asking for. It is possible that all of this was just sour grapes and jealousy, but there are other good players who don't generate this kind of toxic buzz from their freshman year of high school on. From what I heard, the Heron camp wasn't real subtle about their expectations.

Basketball recruiting is a nasty business, but sometimes it is better to just stay away from a prospect. I think this was one of those times.

Reaction Score
Whatever else, he must be content, post-game, of his decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom