KML & Sue | The Boneyard

KML & Sue

Status
Not open for further replies.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Kaleena has been unleashed! Get in there and heave it up 23 times. Wow.
Scored 19, but only hit 8 shots.

Sue didn't play and didn't dress, as a "team decision". What is that?
All in favor of Sue not dressing raise your hands?

Reaction Score
Raised-Hands-007.jpg

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Kaleena has been unleashed! Get in there and heave it up 23 times. Wow.
Scored 19, but only hit 8 shots.

With nothing to lose, and the team having already been eliminated from post season play, it appears the Storm head coach Jenny Boucek let Kaleena play significant minutes (33) to see where she is at this point in the season.

It will be interesting to see what kind of physical and "mental" shape K is in when she reports to the first day of the Storm's training camp next summer. Before you reach for your darts and spears to throw at me, I'm NOT questioning her physical condition or body mass.

Boucek did however, by basically relegating her to the bench for most of the season. If I remember correctly, Boucek also said K was not able to make her own shots, and that she needed a screen to get her shots off. We were all in awe in the reversal of fortunes at the beginning of the season when K was not inserted into any games. Stokes was getting 25-30 minutes a game in New York, and K couldn't get on the floor in Seattle.

I really didn't pay much attention to K's inability to keep her man in front of her on defense until another poster pointed it out. She had this problem at UConn, but it was not a deal breaker because she was too much of an offensive threat to not play her.

The question I'm asking is do the Storm give her a weight limit or specific number to be at when she reports to camp next summer? I'm sure neither the team nor K wants to endure a repeat of this past season. We all know what K can do. The question is, will she ever get a chance to do it with the Storm and this coaching staff? Coming off a season in France (where she'll play a lot of minutes), it will be interesting to see where K is day one of the Storm's camp.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
WNBA coaches make no sense. That's why I don't watch it. In WCBB usually the best team wins. In the WNBA its crap shoot. You have a prolific 3 point shooter and your complaint is that she can't make shots for herself. Well shes a rookie so until she can how about you put her on the floor and send someone to set a damn screen.... It seems simple but apparently it's not.

Reaction Score
WNBA coaches make no sense. That's why I don't watch it. In WCBB usually the best team wins. In the WNBA its crap shoot. You have a prolific 3 point shooter and your complaint is that she can't make shots for herself. Well shes a rookie so until she can how about you put her on the floor and send someone to set a damn screen.... It seems simple but apparently it's not.

Another tactic that might work would be to pass the ball to her when she is open, I've seen her make many three pointers with players coming at her. I know she won't make any baskets sitting on the bench.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Nuyoika - the difference between pro and college ball is two fold for men's and women's basketball:

1. The amount of practice time in the pros is greatly diminished - Uconn basically has kids for four years and ten plus months a year - when they are not allowed to be coached as a team, they are still working with the trainers/conditioning coaches, having one on one sessions with coaches, and playing daily 'pick-up' games with their teammates during which the team leaders are 'coaching' the younger players. That is a huge advantage for the college teams.

2. In college except for tournament time, they are playing at most 2 games a week sometime only one, or none and often not involving any travel and always returning home after each away game. The pro's may be on the road multiple weeks in a row, are living out of hotels with limited access to facilities between games.

Add in that while academic commitments are no joke in terms of time, college kids still have it very easy in terms of living conditions - their meals are prepared for them, their housing is set as well as all those things like utility bills, transportation, shopping, doctors, etc. They also have 24/7 access to training facilities and basketball courts.
And the whole team is housed within easy access of each other. Mostly they can just walk down the hall to hang with the other team members, maybe they need to walk to a nearby building. The camaraderie is almost force fed to them.
Pro players may be living an hour's drive from their teammates, have to schedule gym time, and any time they choose to spend with teammates, etc.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Nuyoika - the difference between pro and college ball is two fold for men's and women's basketball:

1. The amount of practice time in the pros is greatly diminished - Uconn basically has kids for four years and ten plus months a year - when they are not allowed to be coached as a team, they are still working with the trainers/conditioning coaches, having one on one sessions with coaches, and playing daily 'pick-up' games with their teammates during which the team leaders are 'coaching' the younger players. That is a huge advantage for the college teams.

2. In college except for tournament time, they are playing at most 2 games a week sometime only one, or none and often not involving any travel and always returning home after each away game. The pro's may be on the road multiple weeks in a row, are living out of hotels with limited access to facilities between games.

Add in that while academic commitments are no joke in terms of time, college kids still have it very easy in terms of living conditions - their meals are prepared for them, their housing is set as well as all those things like utility bills, transportation, shopping, doctors, etc. They also have 24/7 access to training facilities and basketball courts.
And the whole team is housed within easy access of each other. Mostly they can just walk down the hall to hang with the other team members, maybe they need to walk to a nearby building. The camaraderie is almost force fed to them.
Pro players may be living an hour's drive from their teammates, have to schedule gym time, and any time they choose to spend with teammates, etc.
All that is great but the coach doesn't really have any control over that. He does have control over how he integrates a player. I figure if you get a top pick you beck find a way to use them; otherwise, what's the point?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
All that is great but the coach doesn't really have any control over that. He does have control over how he integrates a player. I figure if you get a top pick you beck find a way to use them; otherwise, what's the point?
Agree - just pointing out that those coaches have a lot less actual court time to implement that strategy. Sounds like they have been working one on one with KML a lot. But I certainly would have liked to see more 'sink or swim' time on court for KML in what was obviously early on going to be a lost season. Who care if you lose by 15 or 30, if you already know you aren't going to win.

Reaction Score
I doubt if the coach thought Kaleena and Jewell were going to enable the team to win the WNBA championship in their first year. IMO she's just bringing KML along slower than she is Jewell.

Yeah, they no doubt hope lightening strikes twice with Stewie joining the team next season.

PS: There was no reason for Sue to put any more wear and tear on her body at that point of the season.

Reaction Score
SUN and the Storm are very similar........Poor Coaching and no talent.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Who would have thought that Kaleena would become a volume shooter?! I think the intent was to get her confident and untracked. I saw the 6-16 game, but not the 8-23 game. K was taking players off the dribble. I look for her to be a strong candidate for Most Improved Player next year.

Reaction Score

Totally agree, I wrote this in another thread a couple of weeks ago. I gave up on it about a month ago. I've always been about the men. Then I watched the women in college and absolutely fell in love with it as much as the men. Therefore I have always tried to support the WNBA because of my new found interest in women's basketball also I didn't like how the league isn't as stable as the NBA. As a man I really wish the women were paid much more. After years of supporting it, I finally became fed up with the product about a month ago. It really has become a crap shoot as to who will win due to some of the craziest officiating and coaching. I just can no longer support this terrible product and will be suprised if this league is around much longer and this makes me sad for the women who play and desire to play here.

Reaction Score
SUN and the Storm are very similar...Poor Coaching and no talent.
Lots of talent on those two teams.

Sue Bird isn't talented? (The player Geno called the best point guard in the world-I'd add maybe to include the NBA)

The #1 2015 daft choice isn't talented?

Kaleena isn't talented?

Not sure if the coach was the problem or not. I don't think Agler would've done much better.

Maybe Geno should coach the Storm in the offseason next year.

Reaction Score
Totally agree, I wrote this in another thread a couple of weeks ago. I gave up on it about a month ago. I've always been about the men. Then I watched the women in college and absolutely fell in love with it as much as the men. Therefore I have always tried to support the WNBA because of my new found interest in women's basketball also I didn't like how the league isn't as stable as the NBA. As a man I really wish the women were paid much more. After years of supporting it, I finally became fed up with the product about a month ago. It really has become a crap shoot as to who will win due to some of the craziest officiating and coaching. I just can no longer support this terrible product and will be suprised if this league is around much longer and this makes me sad for the women who play and desire to play here.

I think the WNBA is an awesome entertainment product.

I was able to go to several of the Mystic games before I had to move from the area.

Every game I went to was a great game to watch. I definitely got my money's worth.

The NBA regular season games on the other hand...

Reaction Score
Striper69, I was thinking the same thing. This was my first year watching many games via LiveAccess. I found at least 5 teams that I will watch whenever they play.

Reaction Score
Striper69, I was thinking the same thing. This was my first year watching many games via LiveAccess. I found at least 5 teams that I will watch whenever they play.
Try to go to a game and sit at courtside if you can. You get to experience the fan interaction and sounds you can't hear on Live Access. Plus you can yell your head off at the teams when it gets loud (keeping it positive, of course). LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rawdawg35

Top Bottom