Klinsmann Out

Discussion in 'Soccer' started by LIuconn, Nov 21, 2016.

1. LIuconn

LIuconn

Rumor is Bruce Arena will be taking over. And we're now going backwards

Da_Aisijimo_Gou and ZooCougar like this.
  2. HuskyHawk

HuskyHawk I'm tryin' real hard to be the shepherd.

Bob Diaco taking over USMNT. You heard it here first.

Robertelamin likes this.
  3. Mr. Conehead

Mr. Conehead

4. John

John "Come with me if you want to live." - Cameron

U.S. Soccer did not immediately name a replacement in thanking Klinsmann for his efforts in a statement, but sources told ESPN FC that negotiations are ongoing with LA Galaxy coach Bruce Arena to take over the job.

5. ZooCougar

ZooCougar

I do not like Bruce Arena. Seems like we're going in circles. We don't have another competitive match until March, they have to time to find a quality replacement.

junglehusky likes this.
  6. LIuconn

LIuconn

retreads. The rumor I heard was Bruce thru 2018 and Ramos beyond that. Makes me sick. They need to separate the MLS $ from USSF and give the reigns to Laurent Blanc or someone with the same huevos Klinsmann has to change the soccer culture in this country.

My biggest fear is using the MNT as an MLS all star team

jrazz12 and ZooCougar like this.
  7. businesslawyer

businesslawyer

Well, that was the coach I wanted fired second most.

8. ZooCougar

ZooCougar

Yeah he dug himself a big hole. I'm disappointed because I wanted him to do what he said he was going to do. I definitely think he bit off more than he could chew and institutionally, he underestimated the barriers and the entrenched mediocrity in MLS and the USSF.

Now we may never see real reform in our lifetimes.

jrazz12 and LIuconn like this.
  9. WingU-Conn

WingU-Conn Apologista 2.0

Vermes' name is out there too.

I try not to take enjoyment from someone losing their job, but JK just got finished saying people criticizing his results don't know anything about soccer.

Now he's currently available to teach us know-nothings. He made his bed.

10. LIuconn

LIuconn

Unfortunately we just made our bed too. We have a bunch of non-soccer guys running the show.

I think JK saw the writing on the wall and took one last swipe at the soccer mouth-breathers.
    He took on a monumental task of trying to pivot the footballing culture and made progress we won't see for 3-5 years.

jrazz12 likes this.
  11. ZooCougar

ZooCougar

Apparently there is a report that he is taking over Galatasaray.

12. SubbaBub

SubbaBub Your stupidity is ruining my country.

He could never just settle on a gameplan and build towards it. If it is Arena, Chandler is out, maybe a few others. I don't know if Arena still has it or if he really is going to have a problem with the european players, but his style does fit our current personnel.

13. ZooCougar

ZooCougar

AND he just sold his house in LA. He may have wanted out...

14. ZooCougar

ZooCougar

What's his style? Having the highest payroll in the league and not being able to get to the third round of the playoffs for two years straight?

We have younger coaches that are ready.

HuskyHawk likes this.
  15. junglehusky

junglehusky Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness

Yeah the only way Arena is palatable is if he's replaced by someone with an actual track record in 2018.

I mean, what's Guus Hiddink up to these days? His M.O. is the short term turnaround job. Why not him instead?

bobbygt, UConnDan97 and ZooCougar like this.
  16. ScottBonz

ScottBonz

I heard Louis Van Gaal is available.

bobbygt likes this.
  17. Kgun7

Kgun7

Kinsman did for the US what he has always done? What barriers and entrenched mediocrity did he have at Bayern?

UConnDan97 likes this.
  18. ZooCougar

ZooCougar

That's not an apples to apples comparison. And he actually introduced a bunch of systems at Bayern that they still use today.

But go ahead and sleep easy now that Don Garber is installing his man. We're going to get a bunch of MLS All Star teams.

19. Kgun7

Kgun7

That is the definition of apples to apples. He lost the respect of that team If the re
    If "installing his man" is hiring a stop gap to attempt to salvage this cycle because no reasonable replacement would entertain joining such a show after getting 0 points from the first 2 games of the hex ... then yes ... install away!

Edit - I fully expect a new coach in place in late summer 2018.

businesslawyer and UConnDan97 like this.
  20. ZooCougar

ZooCougar

Coaching a national team is not the same as a club team.

Jurgen is respected by many of our players as was shown on social media today.

Salvage the cycle? We're not even close to being in jeopardy. This is CONCACAF it is forgiving as f. Stop being so dramatic.

21. Da_Aisijimo_Gou

Da_Aisijimo_Gou

OK, but when will Gulati depart?

meyers7 likes this.
  22. Kgun7

Kgun7

Dramatic? Wow ... nice ....

You bought in to Klinsmann's PR and ignored his results.

But please don't confuse players' social media comments as anything more than common courtesy and respect. They showed a lot of class and restraint ... and seem to be above holding grudges over petty disagreements.

bobbygt and businesslawyer like this.
  23. UConnDan97

UConnDan97 predicting undefeated seasons since 1983

Exactly this.

Anyone who believes that Klinsmann didn't have to go is just kidding themselves. His tactics were horrible, and his roster selection was puzzling at best.

Is Arena the guy? Not really. He'll get us through the hex, and probably a standard WC finish in Russia. We need to identify someone better after 2018 is over. But Klinsmann absolutely had to go...

24. HuskyHawk

HuskyHawk I'm tryin' real hard to be the shepherd.

Do you think he did a bad job over the whole period he was in it? I don't. He made some needed changes, and bringing in the international guys was part of that. We can't go back to an MLS first coach who wants only US born players. We need one who wants to improve the US born players (mostly by sending them to Europe), improve the MLS, and to bring in any eligible foreign born guys who can contribute.

My issues with Jurgen were that he seemed to lose the team. Maybe they couldn't execute what he asked them to do (and should have been able to). I doubt it's entirely his fault, but whether it is or not, we couldn't move forward with him, because he couldn't get the players we have to play to the best of their ability. I also found him to be overly reluctant to play young players, choosing less talented veterans instead.

ZooCougar and meyers7 like this.
  25. meyers7

meyers7 Smarty Pants

Agree completely. Klinsmann needed to go. But going back to Arena isn't gonna help much. We, as the USA with our resources should be able to do better.

26. ZooCougar

ZooCougar

Not soon enough.

27. ZooCougar

ZooCougar

His results are pretty much identical to Bradley and Arena...

28. UConnDan97

UConnDan97 predicting undefeated seasons since 1983

That's actually not true.

There was a nice writeup in MLSsoccer.com (by Doyle, I think) that outlined a whole slew of metrics where Klinsmann falls way short of the last four coaches. Yes, even Sampson.

The other interesting thing in that writeup were Klinsmann's numbers with and without Donovan. In actual competitions, he was like 9-1-1 with him, and something like 18-13 without him (don't quote me on those stats). Ironic that the guy he famously left off the WC team was the player most responsible for his winning...

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
  29. bobbygt

bobbygt

I read in some article that the Donovan situation really irked Gulati.

I also find it ironic that Klinsmann called out the fans for not knowing anything about soccer, while he left Donovan, who was at the time probably still the best US player and a solid locker room presence, off the team.

whaler11 and UConnDan97 like this.
  30. ZooCougar

ZooCougar

Doyle is a MLS paid apparatchik. He's been the ringleader against Jurgen all these years. Any time the league wants to assassinate the reputation of a manager, they trot him out with his GIFs and his stats. He threw a temper tantrum when Italy didn't even consider Giovinco for the Euros (Italy did just fine without him) and also has written a bunch of hit pieces on Osorio who said some less than flattering things about MLS. He's simply a chubby little troll representing the interests of MLS, who can't get work with a legitimate media outlet.

And it's time to let Landon Donovan go. The simple fact of the matter is that he wasn't in form before the World Cup and due to his mental health issues there were concerns that he would wilt under the immense physical and mental strain of the conditions in Brazil. In that same year he didn't start playing well until he announced his retirement and the pressure was off. Jurgen leaving him off wasn't reckless by any means.

Secondly, the winning percentages of the top three US Managers are all within a % point of each other. Bradley and Arena had basically the SAME players Klinsmann had only Bradley and Arena had them in their primes.

For all the Bradley worship, he had really had a stacked team and struggled to get out of the Group only to lose to Ghana in stunning mediocre fashion.

And people forget about 2002, qualification for the US was a complete struggle for Bruce Arena. The team was useless without Claudio Reyna. It really came down to the wire. As for the World Cup, the backbone of the team was European based players most of who were unsung journeymen like Eddie Lewis and Tony Sanneh. These are the type of guys Bruce will turn his back on now, in favor of mediocre players like Ethan Finlay who is used to having sunshine blown up his butt by the likes of Doyle.

Oh yeah? 2006. Full stop.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
    meyers7 and jrazz12 like this.