Kivon Taylor To Transfer | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kivon Taylor To Transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Two things seem to be happening. 1. When there is a coaching change there is usually some exodus. It didn't happen at UConn for a number of years because Edsall was there so long. 2. I agree that if you have a tendency to get into trouble, Diaco isn't going to have lots of patience, especially if he didn't recruit you. So this is a combination of normal housecleaning that goes with a coaching change from both sides. The coach asks/tells guys he doesn't think fit his profile (in a broad sense) to go and guys who don't think they fit with the new regime go too.

A good word is attrition. It happens every year, coaching changes or not. Players leave, on their own, or not on their own. Every year a handful will be out and don't finish their eligibility at the school. What's happening with players now - is something that happened Under Edsall as well though - there I disagree with you. When Edsall was coach, players had scholarships pulled and were out on their own failure to meet program standards too.

look at the numbers I just put up. We officially became a division 1-A program with 85 scholarships to offer in 2000. Edsall's last 3 seasons of full recruiting 2008,2009, 2010 produced 63 players. The full 5 year cycle up to 2010, Edsall produced 103 players that were scholarship recruits. That's about normal. Nothing unusual, Edsall peaked in recruiting at UCONN in 2007 with that class, and he needed another peak in 2011 - and he was nowhere near it. THe guy had to know it.

2011, though, needed to be a huge class - never mind actual talent level, who was on the roster going forward, all that stuff - simple numbers the way the cycles had gone, 2011 needed to be a high numbers recruiting class. Edsall left the program with about a dozen players in December, when the class should have been twice that size. Pasqualoni was able to add a couple players before signing day and managed to keep them all, or we would be worse off than we were.

People hate the cupboard "bare" statement around here - it's got nothing to do with talent.

Reaction Score
Yeah, sorry, I meant "next year" to be 2015. I am also in the camp to try and redshirt Boyle for 2014 and roll with Cochran -Whitmer as 1-2. Injuries might force Diaco's hand, but I'd love to have our QB depth chart line up like this in the coming years:

2014 -
Cochran
Whitmer
Boyle (RS)

2015 -
Cochran/Boyle
Davis (RS)

I think you need to look beyond the numbers. They may be neat and convenient but as we can see, change is the only constant. And until coach says so I doubt any of the three thinks the QB competition is over. The area where I don't like to see gaps in depth is OL. They almost always need 2 years experience and growth.

Reaction Score
I'll just play one more numbers game and then I'm out.

here's what Diaco has to play catch up with in recruiting:

From 2005-2009, two 5-yr recruiting cycles ago - Edsall's program produced 118 scholarship recruits. THe 5-yr cycle before that 2000-2004 produced 113, the current 5-year cycle 2010-2014 which includes the program under Edsall very briefly, mostly Pasqualoni and briefly Diaco - has produced 99 scholarship recruits with regards to the whole NLI recruiting process. We are approximately 15-20 scholarship recruits deficient in basic numbers - right now. We were declining in simple numbers under Edsall, and he left with the bottom falling out on numbers.

For reference sake - that difference in numbers of scholarships that we have developed through coaching transitions and Edsall's dropping numbers is essentially just under the equivalent of one full class difference between 63 scholarship 1-AA football, and 85 scholarship 1-A football.

Never mind that when you are numbers deficient in recruiting, you better be able to balance that out with making sure that your percentage success rate in finding contributing players that can play at the level - needs to be that much higher.

Pasqualoni was turning it around in recruiting, but his complete lack of any respect for anything else regarding the program and the way he let it slide on the field and off - cost him the job. He'll likely never be a head coach again because of it. Probalby doesn't want to anymore anyway.

Have a nice day all. BYU coming up fast.

Reaction Score
I remember posting something last year. The class of 2009, Edsall's second to last year. with Difton, Lang Osieki Aiken, Kinnard, Generrett, Lopes Brandon, Box.had more than 50% attrition. They would have been seniors last year. That really set the program back. Anybody remember that we took Keensen Chambers?? Then we lost more of Edsall recruits in 2010 Greg McKee, Josh Alexander. Jonathan Louis etc. Besides horrendous coaching by PP we really lost too many kids. Luckily we found Whitmer. 2011 PP's forst year we still have many of the recruits Vann Aishru Foxx DeLorenzo, but eventually lost Neibrich.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
One other thought. I'd stop wasting time worrying about future depth charts at quarterback. Since Orlovsky graduated there hasn't been a single depth chart for more than 12 months out that has meant a damn thing.

Reaction Score
07 was a 50% loss too.. Edsall seemed to have some high attrition rates but I don't know what's the average at this level. Agree with Free and you it was a combination of things. Its a fine mess.

Penn State, Maryland, Boston College - maybe I'm high, but I don't consider us to be that far below those programs when it comes to transfers. Transferring for playing time - I agree. I've long written that a good benchmark for UCONN generally, will be when players that are transferring out - tend to go to other 1-A programs for playing time, rather than 1-AA. We had 2 go to Boston College this year, and it will be interesting to see where McCombs plays out his eligibility and where Taylor ends up. .

and USC, Notre Dame, Clemson.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Can someone check me on this?

Post Orlovsky quarterbacks who committed to UConn in high school who exhausted their eligibility at UConn still playing quarterback:

Matt Bonislawski.

That is the list.

Reaction Score
Hate Edsall if you like. I don't get it and think it's ridiculous... but if you think he stopped coaching and recruiting... that's insane even by BY standards.
You never know the when, logic will tell you that's why you need to maintain and/or improve on those very same things if indeed your looking to better yourself, you don't coast.

Reaction Score
Yup. Looking like Cochran vs Boyle next season. I hope they redshirt Davis so he can learn the playbook and work on his footwork. Davis has some serious skills from what I saw on his hudl.
As long as they have Whitmer, Davis will RS.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You never know the when, logic will tell you that's why you need to maintain and/or improve on those very same things if indeed your looking to better yourself, you don't coast.

Even the concept that he took the Fiesta Bowl off because he knew he had the Maryland job is insane.

I happened to come across that game the other day. There is a series where they try to run the ball up the middle, flip one to Robbie and then throw on third down....

Oklahoma's personnel was so much better I could have coached that Sooners team to a win that night.

Reaction Score

Post Orlovsky quarterbacks who committed to UConn in high school who exhausted their eligibility at UConn still playing quarterback:

Matt Bonislawski.

That is the list.
Does Johnny Mac count?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Does Johnny Mac count?

I actually met Johnny at the Spring Game the season before he enrolled and thought what he was telling us was bs. But I think you are right technically he should count.

He was literally sitting in the bleachers by himself telling us he was a quarterback on the team in the fall. It seemed like what we used to tell girls on Spring Break.

Reaction Score

Matt Bonislawski.

That is the list.

Wow that is brutal.

Reaction Score
I never quite got why Edsall couldn't recruit quarterbacks, especially after Orlovsky. Not that you'd expect multiple guys that good,but jeez, he seemed to struggle to get anyone and to develop what he did get. Some of the guys we brought in weren't awful but didn't seem to develop. And there was some just bad luck, too. Frazer wasn't awful but never got better. The JUCO kid who ended up as a tight end in the NFL actually I think would have been pretty good but never quite recovered from his injury. He seemed to change his throwing motion after that and never really got it right going forward. With his ability to run the football he could have been pretty dangerous I think. The guys who left under Pasqualoni, who knows. That was a complete change in philosophy and they really didn't fit Deleone's approach. I'm guessing that the Fordham guy would have been pretty good in Edsall's system. Box didn't impress me but he was more an option type too.

Reaction Score
One other thought. I'd stop wasting time worrying about future depth charts at quarterback. Since Orlovsky graduated there hasn't been a single depth chart for more than 12 months out that has meant a damn thing.
Yep, john silver last night tweeted that not one qb recruited out of hs, post orlovsky has finished his eligibility at UConn. The only one was DJ who finished at wr and johnny Mac who was a walk on. That is a horrible track record.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yep, john silver last night tweeted that not one qb recruited out of hs, post orlovsky has finished his eligibility at UConn. The only one was DJ who finished at wr and johnny Mac who was a walk on. That is a horrible track record.

Is Silver stealing my stuff? :)

Since he tweeted 7 min after my post that's probably a yes.

Reaction Score
Is Silver stealing my stuff? :)

Since he tweeted 7 min after my post that's probably a yes.
Yeah didn't see your second post, but wow is all I can say at our lack of success recruiting QBs.

Reaction Score
Lorenzen ... but that's splitting hairs. If you want 5 years from one kid ... we have not had that.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Lorenzen ... but that's splitting hairs. If you want 5 years from one kid ... we have not had that.

JC transfer.

Who was the other QB that was more highly rated they were in on. It was Lorenzen, the other JC QB and Jerrell Miller they were recruiting at the same time if my memory hasn't totally failed.

I think Miller soured me on following recruiting, call me on signing day and then I'll believe someone can play when I see it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
JC transfer.

Who was the other QB that was more highly rated they were in on. It was Lorenzen, the other JC QB and Jerrell Miller they were recruiting at the same time if my memory hasn't totally failed.

I think Miller soured me on following recruiting, call me on signing day and then I'll beleive someone can play when I see it.
I agree. Guys like Miller and Difton, four star recruits, who are by in large much lesser athletes than some of our two star athletes. I'm like whatever. I'm glad we are getting a slew of commits right now, not sweating their rankings at all.

Reaction Score

That's about it in a word. Coasting. Much easier to fall off and head down when you coast, than it is to get better. If you're not constantly pushing to improve, you fall down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom