Kivon Taylor To Transfer | The Boneyard

Kivon Taylor To Transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
It's amazing how often QBs transfer. I get the reason why...but man is it frustrating. It's almost impossible to build up depth. But....I guess we will recruit 2 next year...or bring in our own transfer.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I'm disappointed that we never got to see what he was capable of, but if he decided to transfer then he was probably going to be buried on the depth chart anyway. Oh well, just frees up another scholarship for Diaco to recruit someone that fits his mold!

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Talked to a friend from school who knew him. Said he failed multiple drug tests and was very high on himself (pun intended). Thought he should be playing right away because he was grom Georgia as if that makes any difference to anyone coaching

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
That's too bad. I thought he had some ability. Of course, I'm basing that on the one open practice I went to.

Dez alluded to more off-field issues for Taylor. I think Diaco & Co are doing some housecleaning. There have been a few players to leave with a history of off-field issues.

Dooley

Reaction Score
So Boyle is the only QB left from the 3 headed class of '13?

Yup. Looking like Cochran vs Boyle next season. I hope they redshirt Davis so he can learn the playbook and work on his footwork. Davis has some serious skills from what I saw on his hudl.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We're in the middle of a culture change. I think that expectations are increasing. The cost of that increase hasn't yet been offset by the benefit of a more successful team yet. That will weed out those unwilling to make meet the commitment.

It's legitimate to ask whether these departures are a consequence of the of the depths that Pasqualoni took the program or a consequence of an overly demanding or difficult new regime. I think it is the former, but it is still too soon to tell.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I hope they redshirt Boyle as well. We can win with either Whitmer or Cochran.

This is EXACTLY how I feel. I know that some people are a little sour on Whitmer, but I believe that both can deliver the "W". Give Boyle an extra year of development and eligibility, and then watch him shine as an upperclassman...

Reaction Score
Yup. Looking like Cochran vs Boyle next season. I hope they redshirt Davis so he can learn the playbook and work on his footwork. Davis has some serious skills from what I saw on his hudl.

I'm almost afraid to say this, but his HS video looks like a dart throwing, taller, half-step slower, version of a former UCONN QB, now playing at Fordham.

Reaction Score

Unless they absolutely need to put him in, I would expect Boyle to redshirt this year. Whitmer is the odd man out of the pecking order right now, strictly looking at depth chart and class, but Boyle with a redshirt this year, by next year - would put scholarship QB's on the roster for fall 2015 as Cochran at RS Jr, Boyle at RS So, and Davis as freshman.

When you look at nearly every single position on this roster, the same kind of pattern develops - there is essentially a 2 year gap in most positions that dates back to the 2009-2010 recruiting years, that's Randy Edsall folks, not Paul Pasqualoni. Every single one of our QB's going into 2014 is a Paul Pasqualoni recruit. Diaco didn't get one for 2014.

Reaction Score
Box, McCummings, Nebrich. Half the kids from those two classes never made their 3rd year. Coaching change?
How many has Diaco lost?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
From the same period of time there are other position groups with similar attrition with players either going to lower level programs, or for off field issues.[/QUOTE]
That's what usually happens Carl. You transfer down to play. 25% of Towson's roster came from higher level programs. The transfers we got the last 5 years or attempted to get came from higher level programs. I think P brought in a higher level of Qb.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
From the same period of time there are other position groups with similar attrition with players either going to lower level programs, or for off field issues.
That's what usually happens Carl. You transfer down to play. 25% of Towson's roster came from higher level programs. The transfers we got the last 5 years or attempted to get came from higher level programs.[/QUOTE]

Coaching changes alone don't create the holes that happened in our roster Duncan. We under recruited some position groups, aand with the benefit of hindsight poorly recruited position groups in Edsall's later years. The coaching change made it much more evident.

Penn State, Maryland, Boston College - maybe I'm high, but I don't consider us to be that far below those programs when it comes to transfers. Transferring for playing time - I agree. I've long written that a good benchmark for UCONN generally, will be when players that are transferring out - tend to go to other 1-A programs for playing time, rather than 1-AA. We had 2 go to Boston College this year, and it will be interesting to see where McCombs plays out his eligibility and where Taylor ends up.

I think Edsall checked out on UCONN, and was coasting until he got his first job offer elsewhere - and I'm not changing my opinion on that. He was running out the door. I think that there is evidence for that in the way his later recruiting classes turned out, among many other things. Pasqualoni - never forgive him for the way he fleeced UCONN, no respect, but he did bring in some players, who's quality we will know soon - Diaco is going to have to win with them.

I'm juiced for football season. I want to see what these players can do, when they are actually prepared and engaged.

Reaction Score
Simple #'s game here Duncan.

1999 coaching transition
2000 28 players (upgrade to 85 scholarships)
2001 23 players
2002 14 players
2003 20 players
2004 28 players
2005 25 players
2006 21 players
2007 29 players
2008 22 players
2009 21 players
2010 20 players
2011 16 players (coaching transition)
2012 23 players
2013 25 players
2014 15 players (coaching transition)

Those are the simple numbers as reported by rivals.com since 2002. Accuracy? Rivals website. Had to dig for 2000 and 2001 numbers. We had small classes in the cycles for Edsall in 2008 and 2009, and 2010 needed to be a bigger class, and since it wasn't, 2011 needed to be huge, but Edsall was out the door and had about a dozen players only by December.

We are numbers deficient, and it's not because of Pasqualoni's classes. I forget which class it was - I think 2008 or 2009, where we didn't have nearly enough OL's, and we had a huge gap in the TE position from Ryan Griffin's class until where we are now. It' goes on down the line. There is a lot more room for discussion in the talent department regarding the classes, but Diaco needs to bring in a very big class (it's nice that the ones we've got so far are tall too) - I'm sure he's aware of it.

Last edited:

Dooley

Reaction Score
Unless they absolutely need to put him in, I would expect Boyle to redshirt this year. Whitmer is the odd man out of the pecking order right now, strictly looking at depth chart and class, but Boyle with a redshirt this year, by next year - would put scholarship QB's on the roster for fall 2015 as Cochran at RS Jr, Boyle at RS So, and Davis as freshman.

When you look at nearly every single position on this roster, the same kind of pattern develops - there is essentially a 2 year gap in most positions that dates back to the 2009-2010 recruiting years, that's Randy Edsall folks, not Paul Pasqualoni. Every single one of our QB's going into 2014 is a Paul Pasqualoni recruit. Diaco didn't get one for 2014.

Yeah, sorry, I meant "next year" to be 2015. I am also in the camp to try and redshirt Boyle for 2014 and roll with Cochran -Whitmer as 1-2. Injuries might force Diaco's hand, but I'd love to have our QB depth chart line up like this in the coming years:

2014 -
Cochran
Whitmer
Boyle (RS)

2015 -
Cochran/Boyle
Davis (RS)

Reaction Score
Two things seem to be happening. 1. When there is a coaching change there is usually some exodus. It didn't happen at UConn for a number of years because Edsall was there so long. 2. I agree that if you have a tendency to get into trouble, Diaco isn't going to have lots of patience, especially if he didn't recruit you. So this is a combination of normal housecleaning that goes with a coaching change from both sides. The coach asks/tells guys he doesn't think fit his profile (in a broad sense) to go and guys who don't think they fit with the new regime go too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom