Kivon Taylor to play Basketball too??? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kivon Taylor to play Basketball too???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I believe he wa drafted by the blue jays. I saw him with a blue jays t shirt on and I think MLB was one if his options. But be he never plate as a husky.

Saw him play vs nd wh on thanksgiving and his arm was big

All District QB @ Hamden.

Drafted by Seattle in 1989 and then Toronto after his freshman year in college. Agree that he never suited up for the baseball team. Still only person to be drafted by two major pro leagues in first round.

Reaction Score
And neither is starting. There are lots and lots of reasons no one at any level plays a 6'5" safety.

Robert Sands started at safety for WVU and was 6'5"

Reaction Score
Fair point, although he was 6'4" and they played a 3-3-5. In other words, he was more of a hybrid DB. You don't see tall DBs as they have trouble in turns and often get torched by quick WRs. At the end of the day, I'll buy you a beer at the stadium the day Taylor lines up at starting safety for UConn. I don't see him as a QB either, and hope they can use his athleticism on the field - just not at safety. But what the heck, I've been hoping they would convert Scotty M to a TE for 2 years, so what do I know.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
All District QB @ Hamden.

Drafted by Seattle in 1989 and then Toronto after his freshman year in college. Agree that he never suited up for the baseball team. Still only person to be drafted by two major pro leagues in first round.

And was supposedly recruited by Notre Dame and Michigan State as a QB if I recall.

Reaction Score
If you're going to go the "what if" game, I'd have to agree that Hamden CT's own, Burrell was probably the best chance of a QB and basketball player combo. Burrell was, and still remains, one of the most incredible athletes I've ever seen play. He was hampered by leg injuries in the NBA if I'm not mistaken, but I really enjoyed the seasons I watched him play on the court with Jordan in Chicago.

In college, I remember watching that guy do things on the basketball court that the only comparison I can come up with is Derrick Rose - pre-leg injury. Burrell did things on the basketball court like Rose did, and hopefully will be able to again after he recovers from the knee. Movements on the basketball court that defied logic - literally. He could take two-three steps and get around people, and be in spots on the floor that didn't make sense. I'm talking top of the key 3 point line to contesting and blocking a shot on the baseline in three motions. We'll see if Rose can do it coming back. I remember Burrell in a single motion in one play, against I think Seton Hall, or Villanov, defending against a guard bringing the ball down court - don't remember the opponent, but single motion hurdling the player while defending - over his head hurdling him, and twisting in air, so that he could steal the ball as he came down on the other side of the player, and then continuing down the floor for a layup. Most amazing thing I've ever seen on a basketball court.

Can't coach those kinds of things, athleticism, height, etc.....if Mr. Taylor's got it, I look forward to seeing his do great things at UCONN.
The hurdling over a player play happened against Wake Forest in the ACC Big East challenge and the player he stripped was none other than Rodney Rogers. I have a jacked up memory like that. Burrell didn't have great handle like Rose or even good handle, but he was an absolute freak athlete. He and Henefeld were probably the biggest reasons our press force so many turnovers during the Dream Season.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
...he was an absolute freak athlete. He and Henefeld were probably the biggest reasons our press force so many turnovers during the Dream Season.

That and the fact that they were 20 year old kids who could run all night.

Its like that scene in Diggstown where Gabe talks about the teen spending all night with "persons of the street" and still have enough energy to fight "Honey" Roy Palmer.

Reaction Score
I was a tackle in HS. The only pass I ever caught was a 2pt conversion from SB. My sports claim to fame lol.

Reaction Score
And was supposedly recruited by Notre Dame and Michigan State as a QB if I recall.

Actually it was thought he was headed to the U until Howie D worked him over to come to UConn.

His brother Abbott played for UConn Football 85-90 and was a captain his senior year? Great family.

Reaction Score
The hurdling over a player play happened against Wake Forest in the ACC Big East challenge and the player he stripped was none other than Rodney Rogers. I have a jacked up memory like that. Burrell didn't have great handle like Rose or even good handle, but he was an absolute freak athlete. He and Henefeld were probably the biggest reasons our press force so many turnovers during the Dream Season.

I know I'm not the only one that remembers that! I do know, that Derrick Rose, and Scott Burrell are the only two basketball players I've ever watched, where I've actually taken the time, to play back, and watch their movements on the basketball court on video, and then whenever I find myself on a basketball court - which istn' too often - actually try to retrace their movements. Derrick Rose made a play against the Celtics that series last year? two years ago? Where he covered what you would think would be an impossible distance in two steps, while twisting and avoiding players in his way, and then went airborne and swatted a shot when you're standing on the court - but it's there - he did it. Not normal human motion, and probably a good reason why Burrell ended up with nagging leg injuries, and Rose tore up his knee. Not normal motion.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm not sure, but I'm 99% that it's a no. He was going to play, but it would have screwed up his student/athlete/professional situation I think. If I'm not mistaken, he wasn't a scholarship b-ball palyer either for Calhoun - the Blue Jays paid is college tuition.
I don't remember hearing that before.

Reaction Score
so thats 2 players in this class doing both fball/bball down the road at uconn .. in kivon taylor and jordan fuchs

Reaction Score
Throw in Tommy Myers and these guys could wreak some serious havoc on the hardwood.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I was going to reply as well. I was at that game and that was easily the most athletic play I think I've seen. Add that Rogers is about 6'6" and the hurdle is even more impressive, even though Rogers probably was bending over a bit.

Reaction Score
I was going to reply as well. I was at that game and that was easily the most athletic play I think I've seen. Add that Rogers is about 6'6" and the hurdle is even more impressive, even though Rogers probably was bending over a bit.

LOL. He was bending over, cradling the ball to protect it from being stolen it seemed, only to have Burrell leap over him, nudge the ball with his shin, and steal it. Great memory bro. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom