Kind of OT- Potential Freak athlete | The Boneyard

Kind of OT- Potential Freak athlete

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I recently met a kid who is a senior in high school, but looks like he is about 26. He plans to play football at a division 3 college next year. However, I'm 100% sure if this kid trained correctly for 1-2 years D1 colleges would be all over him. He has basically just trained chest and arms, but is an absolute genetic freak. he's 6'3" 200-205 lbs but looks like he's 220 lbs with about 5% BF and has run the 100 meters in under 11 seconds with no weight training for his legs let alone explosive training. I have worked with several elite athletes and I know I can improve all of his measurables significantly in even just the next 3-4 months. Does anyone know what his best options are? right now I'm thinking he could prep a year. Do prep schools usually offer full scholarships for the PG year? is it possible to get into a school for a PG at this point in the school year? Prep schools in Massachusetts would be ideal, but he would probably be open to anything in New England. Does anyone know if its common for D1 coaches to watch kids do individual workouts for them? for example, if he drove down to Uconn and did some testing at their facility so they could check him out. I'm assuming most coaches would say they don't have the time for that kind of stuff, but I don't want to make assumptions. What is the latest date scholarships are offered for the fall of a given year? Thanks everyone in advance.

Reaction Score
I recently met a kid who is a senior in high school, but looks like he is about 26. He plans to play football at a division 3 college next year. However, I'm 100% sure if this kid trained correctly for 1-2 years D1 colleges would be all over him. He has basically just trained chest and arms, but is an absolute genetic freak. he's 6'3" 200-205 lbs but looks like he's 220 lbs with about 5% BF and has run the 100 meters in under 11 seconds with no weight training for his legs let alone explosive training. I have worked with several elite athletes and I know I can improve all of his measurables significantly in even just the next 3-4 months. Does anyone know what his best options are? right now I'm thinking he could prep a year. Do prep schools usually offer full scholarships for the PG year? is it possible to get into a school for a PG at this point in the school year? Prep schools in Massachusetts would be ideal, but he would probably be open to anything in New England. Does anyone know if its common for D1 coaches to watch kids do individual workouts for them? for example, if he drove down to Uconn and did some testing at their facility so they could check him out. I'm assuming most coaches would say they don't have the time for that kind of stuff, but I don't want to make assumptions. What is the latest date scholarships are offered for the fall of a given year? Thanks everyone in advance.

Coaches get unsolicited emails/highlight videos everyday - film a workout and ship it off. His current HS coach can't/won't help?

Reaction Score
Coaches get unsolicited emails/highlight videos everyday - film a workout and ship it off. His current HS coach can't/won't help?

You got that right bro... A lot of times coaches won't help a kid get to the next level... I did a better job for a young man in the early 2000's with my crap Sony camcorder.. put together a highlight videotape on VHS and got him a ship to an NEC school...

Reaction Score

Odd thing to post around here, but I'll go ahead and try to help, as this is anonymous and maybe it can help. First off, If you're not a licensed strength trainer or athletic trainer, or therapist or something, I wouldn't really try to take a stranger under your wing and begin strength training, especially is said person might not be 18 years old yet. Not a good idea. That's #1.

#2. If the kid can really run a 100m under 11sec, he's one of the fastest people around. By far. I'm not doubting you, I'm just saying, if that speed is legitimate, he's got a place somewhere to go to school, just a matter of finding it. which leads me to #3.

#3. Academics. I assume this person is in a school somewhere, as you say he's a senior. There are academic advisors at every school, public and private, and it's those people's jobs, to answer questions and direct people like this as to what your asking. If his grades are , his options are going to be limited. If he's got decent grades, there are a lot of opportunities. It doesn't sound like you think that NCAA scholarship eligibility is a possibility right now, which means that he probably doesn't have very good academics in high school.

#4. Once you get all that squared away, you get the transcripts together, and if the grades suck, have some kind of essay written with help from somebody that knows how to write and evaluate for academics, documenting whatever academic strengths that can be improved on in a prep school or somethign, and then put that together with the film and athletic info (hopefully a legit Hy-Tek time sheet from a track meet documenting that sub 11sec speed) and you start sending all that to the schools that he fits the profile for that the academic advisors should be able to identify for you.

#5. Take all that info, and get it registered online with at least one, if not more, of the college sports recruiting info sources out there on the web, that are actually useful. I'm not talking about scout or rivals or espn recruiting services or any of the spinoffs. If the kid makes it this far, you will find out what I'm writing about.

Here's a link to uconn athletics for prospective student athletes for football, available to anyone with an online feed through the uconnhuskies.com website: Take a look through it, these are the kinds of things that people that will recruit a kid out of high school will look at. This kind of thing is usually found on any athletic department website.

http://college.jumpforward.com/questionnaire.aspx?iid=331&sportid=18

Reaction Score
It's not too late to apply for prep school. As far as full scholarships are concerned, I'm not sure, but I believe they give out scholarships toward the tuition. Unless he's a member of the Boy's Club; they help kids obtain full scholarships to prep, but more often than not, it's for academics. There are lots of kids out there that are diamonds in the rough and just don't get the opportunity or don't know how to go about the recruiting process. I believe it's against NCAA rules to have a recruit work out at a prospective school's facilities. I'm sure I'll get corrected if I'm wrong, but I'm sure I've read this somewhere.

Good luck to this young man and kudos to you for trying to help him!!

Reaction Score
Odd thing to post around here, but I'll go ahead and try to help, as this is anonymous and maybe it can help. First off, If you're not a licensed strength trainer or athletic trainer, or therapist or something, I wouldn't really try to take a stranger under your wing and begin strength training, especially is said person might not be 18 years old yet. Not a good idea. That's #1.

#2. If the kid can really run a 100m under 11sec, he's one of the fastest people around. By far. I'm not doubting you, I'm just saying, if that speed is legitimate, he's got a place somewhere to go to school, just a matter of finding it. which leads me to #3.

#3. Academics. I assume this person is in a school somewhere, as you say he's a senior. There are academic advisors at every school, public and private, and it's those people's jobs, to answer questions and direct people like this as to what your asking. If his grades are , his options are going to be limited. If he's got decent grades, there are a lot of opportunities. It doesn't sound like you think that NCAA scholarship eligibility is a possibility right now, which means that he probably doesn't have very good academics in high school.

#4. Once you get all that squared away, you get the transcripts together, and if the grades suck, have some kind of essay written with help from somebody that knows how to write and evaluate for academics, documenting whatever academic strengths that can be improved on in a prep school or somethign, and then put that together with the film and athletic info (hopefully a legit Hy-Tek time sheet from a track meet documenting that sub 11sec speed) and you start sending all that to the schools that he fits the profile for that the academic advisors should be able to identify for you.

#5. Take all that info, and get it registered online with at least one, if not more, of the college sports recruiting info sources out there on the web, that are actually useful. I'm not talking about scout or rivals or espn recruiting services or any of the spinoffs. If the kid makes it this far, you will find out what I'm writing about.

Here's a link to uconn athletics for prospective student athletes for football, available to anyone with an online feed through the uconnhuskies.com website: Take a look through it, these are the kinds of things that people that will recruit a kid out of high school will look at. This kind of thing is usually found on any athletic department website.

http://college.jumpforward.com/questionnaire.aspx?iid=331&sportid=18

Thanks for the good info. Yes, I am an athletic trainer and I'm employed at the facility I'm training him at. He said his grades aren't great, but I haven't seen his actual transcript so that could mean Bs and Cs with an occasional A or a lot worse.

Reaction Score
Before answering I was going to ask if he was Manti Te'o's Girlfriend's brother :D

Reaction Score
Thanks for the good info. Yes, I am an athletic trainer and I'm employed at the facility I'm training him at. He said his grades aren't great, but I haven't seen his actual transcript so that could mean Bs and Cs with an occasional A or a lot worse.

In that case, I'm sure that if you're working with someone who's not 18 yet, you've got forms in place for guardian/parent consent etc. If not, your employer better get them!

If his speed is what you say it is, hopefully he's run it in a sanctioned track meet for some scholastic competition, and in that case, there will be a legitimate printout available somewhere, from a verified source (usually Hy-Tek software meet manager) that shows exactly what his legitimate, verified times are. That speed will get him recruited somewhere. As noted, it's a matter of academics as to where, and getting the transcripts, SAT's and ACT's scores, if he's taken them, together.

Good luck.

Reaction Score
http://www.runnerspace.com/eprofile.php?event_id=458&do=news&news_id=26041

Just to follow up b/c I've got nothing better to do right now apparently........

No idea where the OP came from, but in Connecticut - at the high school state championships last june, only two high school age boys in the state ran under 11 seconds in the prelims of the 100m, and only one of those two duplicated it in the finals.

I think I've made my point no? If the kid's speed is legit, for whatever reason he's been overlooked so far in his teenage years, you've got a significnat prospect with which to work with, and a lot of people will be willing to take a look.

If he's real speed is somewhere in the 11-12 second range, he's still pretty damn fast, but not unusually so. If slower, well....

If he's got decent speed, he's probably a good prospect somewhere, either prep school, junior college, or something, if he's not NCAA eligible, just need to find the proper academic fit.

Reaction Score
I have not timed him myself and if it was hand timed than obviously there could be up to a half second error, which I know is huge in a 100 meter sprint. He also did run it 10 lbs lighter than he is now. Once he begins training back and legs he will most likely put on another 10-20 lbs fairly quickly. My hope is he can put on 25-40 lbs over the next 1-3 years, keep his top end speed, and increase his explosiveness significantly. his 100 meters will probably stay about where it is, but his 20 and 40 yard dash times should go down with the added initial burst. This will also translate extremely well to the playing field. I appreciate all of the info from everyone.

Reaction Score
Honestly, based on the little info here, I think if you are serious about helping this kid play ball in college - and his SAT's, and ACT's, and GPA stinks, then more than weight, strength and speed, right now - he needs a tutor, get him registered for the SAT's and ACT, take them again and do better. If his H.S. degree coursework doesn't have the basics for NCAA eligibility, he's got no choice but going to some kind of prep school to get NCAA eligible, and remember that meeting minimum NCAA eligibility requirements is entirely separate and distinct from meeting the academic admission standards for an individual university.

Here's where to start:

http://web1.ncaa.org/ECWR2/NCAA_EMS/NCAA.jsp

Also keep in mind, that you can't be affiliated in any way with any school that might actually recruit him, if it gets to that point.

Reaction Score
http://www.runnerspace.com/eprofile.php?event_id=458&do=news&news_id=26041

Just to follow up b/c I've got nothing better to do right now apparently........

No idea where the OP came from, but in Connecticut - at the high school state championships last june, only two high school age boys in the state ran under 11 seconds in the prelims of the 100m, and only one of those two duplicated it in the finals.

If he's real speed is somewhere in the 11-12 second range, he's still pretty damn fast, but not unusually so. If slower, well....

Found out it's 11.2 electronically timed at the state meet. never worked on running form, just showed up and ran. Even started in a 3 point stance like a defensive lineman. he's also tight, which is hindering his stride length and therefore power output. He has already made significant increases in strength and explosiveness since he ran that time. No doubt if he made minor changes to form like starting in an optimal stance and utilized his significant increases in power that he could take .3-.5 seconds off his time. Possibly more. And yes, I understand that this means he would be worthy of a D1 track scholarship. But this is why I posted on the board desperate to find him a way into college athletics. This isn't just the run of the mill very good high school athlete. This is someone so gifted that they would be playing football in the SEC if they had started training correctly 3-4 years ago.

Reaction Score
I will have him fill out that form. He has recently contacted schools on all levels of college football. I have personally contacted several lower level division 1 schools, but I have not received a reply. Thanks for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom