Kiki decides on Nov 4th 2021 | Page 14 | The Boneyard

Kiki decides on Nov 4th 2021

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I'm surprised, but not shocked. Academically, UCLA is now the #1 public university, I believe, and only a little behind Duke.

I don't buy that UCLA will be competing for multiple championships, but Close is accumulating talent. The championship banners at Pauley Pavilion are for the men. ;)

The Pac-12 has 7 of the top 10 recruits in 2022. The other 3 chose UConn and Georgia. UCLA will be competing against the Trees and the Oregon schools. Is the IS SEC slipping? and continues to it's spiral into mediocrity!

This doesn't really affect the balance of power at the top, unless Cori adds a lot in the next 2-3 years.

Congrats to Cori and Kiki!
There, I fixed it for you! PAC12 and Big10 are way ahead. I would argue the ACC with Louisville, NC State, Georgia Tech, Duke, ND and UNC are better positioned than any SEC school other than SC.

Reaction Score
But why go to the west coast and not Stanford? I for one, as well as many here on the BY, thought she was going to Tara and not Geno. Why not Stanford where you can have both academics and a chance for championships?
Seriously?
Maybe she likes the urban environment. Maybe the weather. Maybe there's family nearby.

Reaction Score
don't know if she will be playing soccer at Ucla but I saw they were undefeated, the men cbb are going to be the ntl title favorites.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
That 2014 class included #4 Jordin Canada, #8 Lajahna Drummer, #19 Recee Caldwell, #26 Kelli Hayes, and #38 Monique Billings.
I understand this group didn't live up to their billing overall. Canada and Billings had excellent college careers. I think Drummer was injured most of her career. Hayes was okay but underwhelming. Caldwell transferred out.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Still followed by the UConn coaches on social media. lol
That's an interesting thought. Considering the Transfer portal is like the weather forecast website, why wouldn't they keep following her in case the "winds change" and the opportunity arises in a year or two...

Reaction Score
Breaking: Kiki Rice (@kiki_rice0 ), the No. 2 prospect in the ESPN class of 2022, has committed to UCLA, she told ESPN. She is the highest-ranked prospect to commit to UCLA since the ESPN recruiting database was created in 2007.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I mean she did have a nice recruiting class a few years ago, and look how that turned out
People make too big a deal of this. First of all, one of the top members of that class transferred after one year, and another was hampered significantly by injury. But the bigger issue is that none of the surrounding recruiting classes were strong. It's one thing to recruit well one year, it's another to do it year after year.

Close finally closed (pun intended) with a top 5 recruit after being a bridesmaid for so long. It sounds played the weather a factor in her choice too.
I'd gotten used to thinking "Close but no cigar" every time I saw her make the finalist list of a top recruit who chose ultimately elsewhere. Puns are fun!

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Honestly, all of the best players congregating at just a few schools is boring. I hope there continue to be surprising choices like this. Kudos to any talented high school athlete that wants to create their own legacy rather than just following in the footsteps of others.

Reaction Score
Honestly, all of the best players congregating at just a few schools is boring. I hope there continue to be surprising choices like this. Kudos to any talented high school athlete that wants to create their own legacy rather than just following in the footsteps of others.
the pac 12 is taking over in recruiting in both men and wbb. Keep in mind Usc landed the #1 recruit in mbb last season, and Ucla ever since Mick Cronin took over has had top notch recruiting classes. Then you add Oregon, Stanford, the conference is in great shape going forward.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
the pac 12 is taking over in recruiting in both men and wbb. Keep in mind Usc landed the #1 recruit in mbb last season, and Ucla ever since Mick Cronin took over has had top notch recruiting classes. Then you add Oregon, Stanford, the conference is in great shape going forward.
Now if they can only fix their media positioning after the awful mess Larry Scott got them into with that cash-hemorrhaging network.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
That's an interesting thought. Considering the Transfer portal is like the weather forecast website, why wouldn't they keep following her in case the "winds change" and the opportunity arises in a year or two...
Yes, especially important these days but I wouldn't expect otherwise even without the portal. The Duke coaches "unfollowing" her seemed odd. Then again, maybe not.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Now if they can only fix their media positioning after the awful mess Larry Scott got them into with that cash-hemorrhaging network.
I think the new commish has been on the job since July, seems like crickets so far. I figured there's no way it could possibly be worse, but not really making a big splash so far.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
I understand that a huge number of EPA employees have been requesting transfers to LA.
I think it's that Pink Floyd song "Breathe, breathe in the air"

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Is Williams really better than Rice? I have not seen much of either one.
They are both very good players. Having watched videos of both I like Williams better even though she is younger. She showed out at the FIBA 3x3 U18 Worldcup 2021 where she teamed with Rice. Williams was declared the MVP. Below is an article which discusses both of them among others. Included is a mix tape of Williams at the FIBA 3x3 U18 Worldcup 2021. I know such tapes can make either one of us look good with enough editing and possibly a fair amount of CGI (computer-generated imagery).

Reaction Score
UCLA is an excellent school.
I know, I took some graduate classes there years ago........great school and Westwood is a fun area.........just not really a championship ready WBB program if that is a high priority..........

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
UCLA has one of my favorite campuses. I think I would have been happy there. My son liked it and was admitted. Ironically, he chose Rice.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
It can argued that grad school/law school/etc. matter even more than where one acquires a baccalaureate degree. Undergrad academic success at any of Kiki’s options will open the door to a first rate graduate education.
Feel free to argue it. I absolutely agree.

Reaction Score
Hmm, did not expect this. This makes things interesting for the 2023 class for UCLA. Where many folks think Cunningham and Watkins could end up.
Cunningham? Maybe here with a former teamate but who knows?

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I think the new commish has been on the job since July, seems like crickets so far. I figured there's no way it could possibly be worse, but not really making a big splash so far.
I just don't have the energy to do a lot of reading on these things but I did somehow have an article pass by a while back and it appeared that any hope for the Pac Network is futuristic due to commitments. I don't remember any of the details, but at least he did recognize the problems with the network.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Yeah she graduates next year so if she were to choose UConn, she would be in Storrs 7 months from now to start her freshman season. Won't Paige and Azzi still have 3 seasons eligibility remaining at that point meaning all three, Paige+Azzi+Rice could play together for 3 seasons, or until Rice's senior year (assuming no one leaves early)?
head no GIF

Why do you keep repeating this when you are clearly wrong and multiple people have tried pointing this out to you. If Kiki had come to UCONN the only possible way for Azzi + Paige + Kiki to all be playing until Kiki's senior season is if Paige and Azzi were to both have a medical redshirt season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom