Kiah Making Big Impression | The Boneyard

Kiah Making Big Impression

Status
Not open for further replies.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
I suspected Kiah would be a very good pro. I agree with Laimbeer and his slimy, cloying former teammate and boss (ugh,:confused: :oops:) she's the steal of the draft. As much as I hate Laimbeer for who he is and who he was, and as much as I dislike NY, it is good for the league to have a high-quality, high profile franchise in NY. With the help of the UConn alums, they have a stellar core. [I gotta go take a Tums] Repeat after me New England sports fans... ITS GOOD FOR THE LEAGUE.

Reaction Score
ITS GOOD FOR THE LEAGUE.

Seattle needs to rebuild and lands both Loyd and Lewis while the Sun get a 6' 2" post with no outside shot who plans on attending medical school. The WNBA draft has been a farce for a long time. These are not independent franchises who make draft decisions for their own good. If a key team lacks a high draft pick, they somehow manage to get one. People have to start realizing that players are steered to key franchises "for the good of the league". The Sun will never have more than one superstar and those they do land will not stay very long. Chiney will be gone within 2 years, traded for 3 nobodies and a 1st round pick that will also turn into nothing. Donovan isn't there to produce a winner, she's there because she's willing to coach an also-ran and has name-recognition. Rooting for the Sun is like being a Cubs fan. Once in a while you are given some hope but that's all you'll ever have.

Yeah, I know, I'm cynical.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Here's something I don't get:

"It's nice to know that he already has so much confidence in me," Stokes said. "After four years in college, it's hard to change the mind-set I had about offense in just four days. I know he is expecting a lot from me, which I enjoy. So I am going to make sure I do what I also do on defense and with shot-blocking. And then I want to make sure I am in the offense more than just being a screener or rebounder. I want to make sure I am a threat."

So Geno and the staff never had an expectation that she would be a scorer? Geno always said in interviews that Kiah was the one who limited herself. I'm glad she has a blossoming offensive game. But I'm disappointed she never showed it at UCONN. Yeah I get that we had Stewie and KML, but if she had that offensive side in her and Geno never got it out of her, I'm disappointed in our staff...

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Very happy to read of Kiah's early success....PLUS you can't by recruiting creds like this: "Coming from UConn, we understand [Geno Auriemma's] players have already learned quite a bit and are detail-oriented," Smith said. "They understand the game and catch on very quick. If they've played for four years and done their part for that program, there is a built-in professionalism that comes to the WNBA with them. It shows, they catch on; they understand some of the nuances. So as a coach, you understand right from the start that they can handle it."

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
"Kiah can be a very good perimeter post player. I've just been working with her to help her learn when it's the right time to [shoot] and what the right spots are. We have to encourage her to shoot more. That's the reason why I'm putting her in the second unit [for Friday's game]. I need her to score, and that's very different for her."
That's the difference. UConn didn't need Kiah to score. She's a good kid, a talented athlete and very pretty in street clothes. I wish her all the best.

Reaction Score
I Think with her and Tina playing at the same time it will be very hard for someone to score in the box.

Reaction Score
Kiah says it's much different from Uconn---I'm enjoying it. Tells the whole story. KML said Kiah took a lot of verbal punishment for her 4 years--. Lambeer say ---She's a keeper. She was a steal. Who knew she could shoot well from 15 to 20 ft---I'll tell you who knew--all us KIah Stoke fans knew. We knew she could shoot. Seems like when she left her college daze behind, she could blossom.
I'm so happy for Kiah I could spit--think I shall..

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
GSince her transition into the WNBA, we're learning more about Kiah with every passing day. We've learned more about her in 3

weeks with the Liberty, than we did in four years at UConn. She said in a prior interview that she was not allowed to shoot at

UConn. We pretty much already figured that out.

There were times when she had the ball at the top of the key with no one guarding her, and she never even looked at the basket.

Well folks, that was then, this is now. The Liberty want, and expect her to score.......from anywhere in her comfort zone. I'll be

following her the entire season. It will be interesting to see her make that slow but methodic transition into a professional WNBA

post player. Like so many of her other fans, I wish her a productive and injury free season.

Reaction Score
psconn, do you dislike New York because the Giants beat your beloved Patriots twice with your team managing a combined 31 points? It must really burn that Eli defeated Tom twice, especially the 18-0 team. Wait, make that the `18-1 team. I hear all those hats and t-shirts saying 19-0 were shipped to South America.

Reaction Score
Nate Archibald and JoJo White are two Hall of Famers who averaged under 14.0 per game in College and went into the NBA with their offensive game being questioned.Their College Coaches had a similar Coach Geno mind set(Defense first).Those that know basketball could tell Ms.Stokes had a shooting touch by observing her Free Throw stroke.Michael Jordan was no Rick Mount or Calvin Murphy in College,he became a better mid-range shooter in the NBA. Not surprised about Kiah, neither did I ever questioned Tiffany(quite a few did)becoming a quality WNBA player.KML will become an All-Pro during her career,contrary to those that question her weight,defensive ability,jump shooter only and too slow remarks.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Kiah has the offensive skill set, but not the inclination. She had teammates at UConn who were the best player in the country and the best shooter in the country, so it made sense to get them shots. As Bill notes, he was a perimeter-oriented big. As long as Kiah works at it, she'll be fine. I hope to see her this summer.

Reaction Score
Nate Archibald and JoJo White are two Hall of Famers who averaged under 14.0 per game in College and went into the NBA with their offensive game being questioned.Their College Coaches had a similar Coach Geno mind set(Defense first).Those that know basketball could tell Ms.Stokes had a shooting touch by observing her Free Throw stroke.Michael Jordan was no Rick Mount or Calvin Murphy in College,he became a better mid-range shooter in the NBA. Not surprised about Kiah, neither did I ever questioned Tiffany(quite a few did)becoming a quality WNBA player.KML will become an All-Pro during her career,contrary to those that question her weight,defensive ability,jump shooter only and too slow remarks.
Oh I like the Bridgeport reference to Calvin Murphy, not so big guy who could dunk--thank you for the memory.

Reaction Score
She just went in the game and looked like she belonged last Friday. I didn't notice any nervousness ...just confidence.

OK, maybe she had some jitters as she missed the open shots from the free throw line area- but it was her first Pro game!

She'll be even better when she gets with the starters in the regular season- especially Tina.

Reaction Score
So, what are we to make of this? It is only one game and th stars are not yet out, but iif her comments about her role at Conn are eve?n half true, are we not developing some players at the expense of others? Was it in her interest to be reduced to a rebounding-shotblocking machine so that others could be free to shoot? Another favorite player of mine was Hayes- she too felt the restrictions and ended up as a 3rd round draftee when she was clearly a first rounder. Perhaps father know best, afterall, it's about winning championships: 2 - 3 stars and the remaining ones role players. I'm not feeling happy right now, but I cannot be sure of the context in which she was speaking. She is a smart woman and her irony way have excape the untutored ear.

Reaction Score
Wasn't Calvin from Norwalk?
Old brain can old come close --you are right Norwalk it was. I liked Calvin in College, followed him a bit afterwards. thanks for shaking the cobwebs out of an old dusty brain. Thanks.

Reaction Score
So, what are we to make of this? It is only one game and th stars are not yet out, but iif her comments about her role at Conn are eve?n half true, are we not developing some players at the expense of others? Was it in her interest to be reduced to a rebounding-shotblocking machine so that others could be free to shoot? Another favorite player of mine was Hayes- she too felt the restrictions and ended up as a 3rd round draftee when she was clearly a first rounder. Perhaps father know best, afterall, it's about winning championships: 2 - 3 stars and the remaining ones role players. I'm not feeling happy right now, but I cannot be sure of the context in which she was speaking. She is a smart woman and her irony way have escape the untutored ear.
I wasn't pleased for most of 3 years with the way Geno used Kiah Stokes. However, you have to believe that if Kiah had the Offensive skills along with her defensive skills even remotely closed to Stewie that Geno would have used them other wise Geno comes out petty and vindictive. Geno is a sore loser and wants to win every game. I am thrilled Kiah in this short stint in the WNBA has shown Uconn fans what they missed from her at Uconn. As pointed out, her high percentage Foul Shots strongly implies offensives skills from that range. (notice how I was selective in my wording, yet some nit will still be picking, I suggest reading with comprehension)

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Wow. I'm appreciating how folks are throwing Geno and staff under the bus so quickly... I'd love for someone (not me, waste of time) to hunt down all the comments Geno has made about Kiah during her career that highlight his expectations and hopes for her....

Then rev up the bus.

For Kiah, I'm excited to see if she can follow up on her talk - and her very Diggins-esque shooting.

Reaction Score
Wow. I'm appreciating how folks are throwing Geno and staff under the bus so quickly... I'd love for someone (not me, waste of time) to hunt down all the comments Geno has made about Kiah during her career that highlight his expectations and hopes for her....

Then rev up the bus.

For Kiah, I'm excited to see if she can follow up on her talk - and her very Diggins-esque shooting.
Ah ---the first nit is picking!!!
Show me where I threw Geno under the bus!! Read the posting again --with comprehension---
Diggings is my least favorite ND player of all time--so any comparison to her of Kiah, to me, is insulting.

Reaction Score

Then rev up the bus.

Are you saying THIS is throwing Geno under the bus???s This is my reference to Geno other than to say I didn't like the way he used her for 3 years--
you have to believe that if Kiah had the Offensive skills along with her defensive skills even remotely closed to Stewie that Geno would have used them other wise Geno comes out petty and vindictive. Geno is a sore loser and wants to win every gam

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Oh I like the Bridgeport reference to Calvin Murphy, not so big guy who could dunk--thank you for the memory.

Calvin Murphy played at and attended Norwalk High School.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom