Kiah in fiya! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kiah in fiya!

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Defenders are all over Tina, Epiphanny Prince, and Sugar Rogers which leave Kiah pretty much unguarded. Tina had 7 assists because defenders were all over her and Kiah benefitted. Good for Kiah for good positioning and for making the shot.
Good point. Just like at UCONN when defenders would be all over Stewie, Kaleena, etc, leaving Kiah pretty much unguarded... ;)

Reaction Score
My observation, and please correct me, was that Kiah didn't fumble any passes. Or shall I say, her teammates gave her passes that she could handle, in the right spot. Perfect passes!!!
Achonwa had a rough night as Kiah stuffed her twice.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Two UConn sweets ...
11709551_934087576650975_3849527090153535925_n.jpg
And the Sun didn't want either of them.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Coaching...

Seriously, though, for whatever reason, Geno and the staff was never able to get that kind of production out of her. Maybe it was a rut, maybe she wasn't pushed the right way, maybe it was a million other things.

But she's averaging about 6 PPG and 6.5 RPG. She only averaged 4.1 PPG over her career at UCONN and it was only 4.5 in her senior season, and she was playing 18 minutes per game.

Granted in the W she's averaging 25 MPG so maybe the numbers work out similarly. Maybe there's not that much of a difference, but she sure never scored 20+ games at UCONN...
Maybe UConn coulda won a few more games by 40 points if they'd let Kiah score. :rolleyes:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Two UConn sweets ...
11709551_934087576650975_3849527090153535925_n.jpg

Ladies and gentlemen, It's my pleasure to present to you the 2015 WNBA "ROOKIE OF THE YEAR".........from the New York Liberty.....Kiah Stokes.

It was a long time coming, but she had her "break out" game tonight. Tonight's game boosted Kiah's confidence, and also boosted her team's confidence in her. They won't be as hesitant to pass the ball to her underneath the basket after tonight. She caught every pass (no fumbles) thrown to her. 21 points, 5 rebounds and 3 blocks in 26 minutes. I am soooooo happy to see her begin to blossom.
If she helps the Liberty get to the finals, there's no way she can be denied Rookie of the Year. I watched the entire game tonight. I loved every minute of it!! Go Kiah, Go Liberty.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In the last Washington game I thought Kiah looked like the player we knew. A beast on defense and on the boards. But fumbling several passes (some of which were poor passes, but others not) , getting stripped of the ball, and missing short range shots. Then last night - WOW. Aggressive on offense and finishing! Fabulous game for her. :D

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
In the last Washington game I thought Kiah looked like the player we knew. A beast on defense and on the boards. But fumbling several passes (some of which were poor passes, but others not) , getting stripped of the ball, and missing short range shots. Then last night - WOW. Aggressive on offense and finishing! Fabulous game for her. :D
That's what makes Bill great

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Good point. Just like at UCONN when defenders would be all over Stewie, Kaleena, etc, leaving Kiah pretty much unguarded... ;)
Yea, I don't really recall defenders being able to be "all over Stewart or KML". They pretty much had their way. :D

Reaction Score
So Bill turned her around overnight? Not buying it. I will buy that he had a great game plan and that Indiana was a different sort of team that the Liberty could exploit.
It is fabulous that Kiah has done so well. Still not expecting her to be a consistent offensive threat - yet. Too many memories of her playing well at UConn and thinking "she's got it!" and then it didn't last. Well, Geno did say that his team was lousy at passing into the post...

Reaction Score
Carolyn Peck really high on Kiah.

It's amazing to think how good Morgan and Breanna will be in the WNBA, because I think Kiah was rightfully behind them in the lineup at UConn. They are going to be beasts.
I can't wait to see Kiah guard Stewie in the WNBA!

Reaction Score
I liked the fact that Kiah was calling for the ball in the post last night. She posted
up and got into good position to score and did. Bill had a good talk to the bench
players after the Washington series. He needs scoring out of the bench and he
got it last night. lets hope Kiah keeps her offense going. They need her when
Tina is doubled teamed and she found Kiah with several good passes. It's
going to be a tough team to beat if Kiah continues to be an offensive threat.

Reaction Score
We see a person with a magnificent physique for a young person and it's only natural to think her brain has matured at the same rate as her body.

Perhaps whatever part of Kiah's brain it is that's responsible for certain types of basketball skills didn't develop fully until recently. Taking nothing away from coach Lambeer, but perhaps he caught Kiah at the moment those last few neruons were ready to fire away.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
We see a person with a magnificent physique for a young person and it's only natural to think her brain has matured at the same rate as her body.

Perhaps whatever part of Kiah's brain it is that's responsible for certain types of basketball skills didn't develop fully until recently. Taking nothing away from coach Lambeer, but perhaps he caught Kiah at the moment those last few neruons were ready to fire away.
I think it is more an issue of 'habit' - there was a point I think at the end of Kiah's sophomore season where the coaches told Kiah that her teammates didn't trust her on offense. While she improved significantly in her junior year and especially as a senior, I think that habit of not passing her the ball because she was like to fumble it away might have become a habit. I was really struck last year by the interior passing between Kiah and Gabby, and Gabby as a freshman did not have that ingrained distrust built up through a few years of bad results.
Now, just playing on a team of 'strangers' she is able to start over and while she still fumbles a few passes she is much better than that Uconn freshman and sophomore that her teammates learned not to trust.

Reaction Score
I think it is more an issue of 'habit' - there was a point I think at the end of Kiah's sophomore season where the coaches told Kiah that her teammates didn't trust her on offense. While she improved significantly in her junior year and especially as a senior, I think that habit of not passing her the ball because she was like to fumble it away might have become a habit. I was really struck last year by the interior passing between Kiah and Gabby, and Gabby as a freshman did not have that ingrained distrust built up through a few years of bad results.
Now, just playing on a team of 'strangers' she is able to start over and while she still fumbles a few passes she is much better than that Uconn freshman and sophomore that her teammates learned not to trust.

It wasn't just Kiah not getting the passes. KML was ignored most of the times until her senior year. I have seen so many times she was wide open and Bria Hartley or whoever never even looked for her. It was worse for Kiah.
Maybe the fact that Geno told the players he wanted to see Stewie shoot at least 20 times even as a freshman kept the guards from distributing the ball better. But they won all the times, so no need for changes.

Reaction Score

Perfect fit for Kiah, since it's pretty much generally accepted that Laimbeer also has few neurons that aren't firing :D

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

I think Laimbeer (sp?...no disrespect intended) had a big impact on Stokes' success. Whatever he has said to her has made her want to play at a completely different level than we have ever seen before. Her game last night was incredibly inspiring and you could see the focus and determination in her face. She was lasered in like I have never seen her.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

I was thinking the same exact thing. I could not agree with you more. Gabby gave Kiah some passes that led to a bucket on many occasions. An excellent observation!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom