Kia Nurse | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kia Nurse

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

genosguy

What a wonderful introduction to UConn, Uconn greats, Uconn Coach and Uconn fans (and UHart Coach/Uconn great Jen) for Kia Nurse what kid ever got this treatment?? Do you think Tenn will send in a violation on this pix?? Kia Nurse is 1.84 meters tall. Think of that Jefferson is 5 ft 7inches (so the Uconn site says)..

G

genosguy

Kia played confidently and she played well. But if anyone were to ask her this morning, "Did you learn anything?," I have an idea what her answer might be: \\
This is a high school kid, Kia Nurse. She has not been coached in college, yet. Notre Dame trapped Doty a 5th year senior the same way. KML as a freshman, the same way. I'll bet this happens to many FIBA national players with pro experience when they play the USA team.
So let us not beat up a high school player for one bad move. You are right, if she is smart this won't happen very often in the future---I believe everything Geno saw of the high school canadian number 5 like most of us fans he'll be thrilled by what he saw from her.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score

This appears to be your commentary to my earlier post. It appears that you inferred (incorrectly) that I was "beating up a high school player for one bad move." I did no such thing. I tried to put a "lesson learned" in a context that would give her credit for learning something important before donning a UConn uniform. I regret that you read it differently.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
What a wonderful introduction to UConn, Uconn greats, Uconn Coach and Uconn fans (and UHart Coach/Uconn great Jen) for Kia Nurse what kid ever got this treatment?? Do you think Tenn will send in a violation on this pix?? Kia Nurse is 1.84 meters tall. Think of that Jefferson is 5 ft 7inches (so the Uconn site says)..
Already signed, sealed, and attending classes so nope!

Reaction Score
I know that I was very impressed by Kia Nurse, last night. Showed good range, was not intimidated by the caliber of the opposition, and wasn't afraid to mix it up. I saw her bump Skylar a number of times, disrupting her movement, and also banged with Tina. Can't wait to get her in National Flag Blue.
As I'm a Yankees and Giants fan...IS IT BASKETBALL SEASON YET???

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I was most encouraged by Nurse making perimeter shots last night. That has been a question mark based on what I've seen from her. The FIBA 3-point line is beyond the NCAA line. Team Canada also runs a similar offense to what Geno runs so she'll be used to the concepts. It's hard not to be excited about the type of player she can become under Geno's tutelage and playing with a terrific group of college players. I can hear Doris Burke now: "pro-ready body; comports herself beyond her years."

Reaction Score
Very impressed by what I saw on TV. Kia held her own against the best players in the world. And she hasn't yet played one game of college ball.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I was most encouraged by Nurse making perimeter shots last night. That has been a question mark based on what I've seen from her. The FIBA 3-point line is beyond the NCAA line. Team Canada also runs a similar offense to what Geno runs so she'll be used to the concepts. It's hard not to be excited about the type of player she can become under Geno's tutelage and playing with a terrific group of college players. I can hear Doris Burke now: "pro-ready body; comports herself beyond her years."

Comport! Comport!

:)

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Very impressed by what I saw on TV. Kia held her own against the best players in the world. And she hasn't yet played one game of college ball.

I guess she answered the Bill Russell question (paraphrased here):

"Can she play?"

The answer, a resounding:

"YES!"

Reaction Score
So to carry that on just a little - when DT joins in France the Uconn contingent will count the following:
9 NPOY award/years (Jen 1, Bird 1, DT 2, Moore 3, Charles 1, Stewart 1)
5 Lieberman awards (Bird 3, DT 2)
3 WNBA MVPs (DT, Moore, Charles)
4 USA POY (Charles, DT, Stewart 2)
and
7 NCOY (Geno)
3 USA COY (Geno 2, Jen 1)

In addition:
12 NCAA championships
9 WNBA championships
8 Olympic Golds
5 WC golds (and two bronzes)

And coaching: 9 NCAAs, 1 Olympic and 1 WC gold.
2 WBHOF inductees and 1 Naismith HOF inductee.
This HAS to be a complete and total fabrication!!!

It isn't possible for a single university to garner this much hardware (and "moore").

Or is it???:rolleyes:

sTu

Reaction Score
I thought it was pretty cool that Geno was testing his two point guard offense on Bird and Whalen before giving it to Moriah and Kia! ;)

You might be correct if Morgan Tuck is not ready to go from day one and KML does not shift to the 2 guard. Certainly, I expect to see Kia playing with Moriah a good bit given her defensive tenacity. These scenarios just highlight the interesting possibilities Geno is going to be able to manipulate. Exciting, no?

Reaction Score
Kia Nurse was not the least bit intimidated by Diggins or Sims. My favorite play of the game was when she moved Diggins a couple of feet with her arms as she made her cut, as if to say "get out of my way, I'm coming thru". She could be a very unique find by Geno, a frosh who should get plenty of minutes from the get-go.

Last edited:
T

TroyHouse66

We have started the bball season!
(I don't follow professional football- I'm a NY Giant fan!)

(My team won't be in the NFL Championship this year...
my team is the '63 football Giants.)

Reaction Score
Its pretty obvious that watching Kia play, the scouting services vastly underrated her skill set. If UConn doesn't lose a game early this year, its going to be a long time before they do.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
For a teenanger to be playing against Professional Womens BB players I thought Kia Nurse was terrific. She had good poise, she handled the pressure and provide pressure on defense. She is experienced at the next level and she hasnt played a college game yet. I like what I saw. She hit her open shots and handled the ball very well and shes only a teenager. We've got a good point guard for then next 4 years.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Went back and checked on Kia. She's listed as 5'11".
That's what espn has her as.

The Canadian national team roster has her as 6'. As does Prospect nation. And uconnhuskies.com.

I'll go with them.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Comparing Kia's height next to the U.S. guards, Stewie, et al., my best guess on Kia is 6'0" give or take a little. She's at least 5'11-1/2".

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
It all depends on which Hartley you are comparing her to.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Whatever her height, another thing Nurse will bring to the team is a bit of an edge. As we saw the other night, she's big for a guard and is not the least bit afraid of contact no matter who the opponent. She'll need to adjust to the collegiate game which, at least on the perimeter, is less physical than the international game.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Whatever her height, another thing Nurse will bring to the team is a bit of an edge. As we saw the other night, she's big for a guard and is not the least bit afraid of contact no matter who the opponent. She'll need to adjust to the collegiate game which, at least on the perimeter, is less physical than the international game.

The first time she finds herself watching 15 minutes of the first half from the end of the bench with two fouls is when the adjustment begins.

And that is likely the last time she will sit next to Rosemary.

Reaction Score
Kia looked great. I love this girl already. was really proud of the husky faithful also. They cheered her and like the class acts they are cheered Skyler as well.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I'm really looking forward to the possibility (likelihood?) of Nurse doing a fairly good impression of Kelly Faris as a freshman, at least as far as defense goes. Good size, excellent athleticism (possibly not quite at Kelly's level but I don't know that for sure), a willingness to 'mix it up' physically and a very, very high motor. Given this and given her not insubstantial experience against world-class competition, some truly Tenacious D will be surely be brought to bear against some hapless collegians for the next four years. (Some of whom might even be on our own squad during practice. :))

Certainly Geno will have lots of options when it comes to the #2 guard spot this year. Mo being the clear floor leader at the point, KML at the wing and so forth. With this many freshman guards, there will be lots of growth, development and fluidity at this position (and no, I haven't forgotten Saniya). But much of what constitutes hard-nosed defense is intrinsic to the player --- and these qualities can be evident from day 1.

In true pre-season-prognosticator spirit (i.e. nobody knows but that won't stop us from guessing), I like Kia's chances to not only play the most minutes of any freshman this year but to also be a starter come tournament time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom