Keys to beating Temple | The Boneyard

Keys to beating Temple

Reaction Score
1) Take care of the ball. Rose and Alston are always going for steals, and Rose had a huge impact by creating live ball turnovers last week.

2) Jackson and Facey's perimeter defense. Obi could torch us if they don't close out on the taller shooters of Temple.

3) The basketball gods owe us after Dingle's eruption vs UConn last year. That guy is simply not a good basketball, yet he torches us. Make it stop.

Reaction Score
1) Take care of the ball. Rose and Alston are always going for steals, and Rose had a huge impact by creating live ball turnovers last week.

2) Jackson and Facey's perimeter defense. Obi could torch us if they don't close out on the taller shooters of Temple.

3) The basketball gods owe us after Dingle's eruption vs UConn last year. That guy is simply not a good basketball, yet he torches us. Make it stop.

So... beat them off the dribble, be aggressive, and drive to the basket?

Reaction Score
So... beat them off the dribble, be aggressive, and drive to the basket?
Actually, Temple is 52nd in the nation in BLK%, and 67th in 2P FG% against.

They struggle to defend the 3, though. Opponents shoot 35.4% from 3 against Temple, putting them 191st in that area. Hopefully Purvis and Vance stay hot from 3.

Just crisp passing and no over-dribbling from Vital, Purvis, Jackson or Facey should help limit turnovers.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Play loose, unselfish team basketball. Relax and let the game come to you. That' it really.

One of the things that stood out to me about UCF, especially the way UConn started was how they looked loose and casual, like they were playing a pickup game. The game had good pace, they didn't deliberately slow it down the way they have all year, and there weren't a ton of fouls mucking it up either. I am convinced that the slow down, reduce possessions, half court grind game is just terrible for our team. Since Temple excels at that game, I will be looking to see if we can score off of defense and improve the pace of the game.

Reaction Score
Have to disagree with you there HuskyHawk. I was at the game and it struck me how focused they were and how hard they were working; nothing casual about it. I think the pressing right away set the tone for them defensively and then the shots were falling of course.
Something that has had a big impact mentally I believe is that the Diallo distraction is gone. It's just us guys and we have to make this happen. The air is clear of extraneous BS !

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
If we win and actually look like a team for a second straight game, will you finally do a write up @UConnStats?

Reaction Score
Actually, Temple is 52nd in the nation in BLK%, and 67th in 2P FG% against.

They struggle to defend the 3, though. Opponents shoot 35.4% from 3 against Temple, putting them 191st in that area. Hopefully Purvis and Vance stay hot from 3.

Just crisp passing and no over-dribbling from Vital, Purvis, Jackson or Facey should help limit turnovers.

Ugh, this sounds like exactly the team we don't want to face. They create turnovers by pressuring our guards, they defend well down low, but their weakness is giving up 3s.

Reaction Score
Play loose, unselfish team basketball. Relax and let the game come to you. That' it really.

One of the things that stood out to me about UCF, especially the way UConn started was how they looked loose and casual, like they were playing a pickup game. The game had good pace, they didn't deliberately slow it down the way they have all year, and there weren't a ton of fouls mucking it up either. I am convinced that the slow down, reduce possessions, half court grind game is just terrible for our team. Since Temple excels at that game, I will be looking to see if we can score off of defense and improve the pace of the game.

While I'm not commenting on how loose they were playing, I do think UConn has looked a lot better in the uptempo games this year. I know they fell behind by a lot in the Oregon game, but Oregon as a team is at a higher level than many of the teams UConn has been playing, yet UConn looked good offensively against Oregon, so I think you are right about how this team should go about things.

Reaction Score
Let's get the train rolling, get back to Husky Basketball and win some games.

I'll just leave this here.

"Greatness begins when selfishness ends"

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom