Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 100 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
A. UConn doesn't have a choice in the matter. They will take the first P5 invite that comes their way and if that's the Big12 than we accept it without hesitation.
If I were Herbst I would definitely hesitate - long enough to at least make a few phone calls to ACC and B1G presidents. Find out if there's anything to the idea (from, uh, the internet) that the B12 taking UConn might prod the other guys to move instead. Maybe the B1G is not interested in Cincy, and would only take UConn with a school currently in a GOR. Maybe the ACC would only take UConn if they felt ND could be convinced to be a full member. But at least we'd have that information for the mid-2020s.

As a school president, yes you want to position UConn for a P5 league. But if you have even a prayer at another spot that's a better institutional fit and has better stability, you must consider that as well.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I'm putting this here..if you think it's Non-Key I'll move it:
This guy is a sports writer for BCSNN (Best College Sports News Network) and covers the B-12 here is his Blog ( http://www.bcsnn.com/big-xii.html )

C. Austin Cox ‏@C_Austin_Cox 41m41 minutes ago
As much as Bronco Mendenhall said BYU needed to be in a P5 to have any national title hopes, his leaving proved the Big 12 has passed on BYU

I kinda thought the same thing.

You could use Hermann staying at Houston as evidence that something positive is happening there, but they also gave him a $5M P5 kicker, so I think that's more a case of him waiting out a specific gig - A&M and Texas look likely to open relatively soon.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Hmm, I thought it was weird that he'd leave BYU for what feels like a step-down of a job, but I hadn't even considered that as a possibility. Not sure I buy it, but it does provide some logic to what still seemed like a poor career choice.
Maybe it's semantics, but perhaps BYU wasn't willing to compromise on their religious mission to be able to accept an invite.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I kinda thought the same thing.

You could use Hermann staying at Houston as evidence that something positive is happening there, but they also gave him a $5M P5 kicker, so I think that's more a case of him waiting out a specific gig - A&M and Texas look likely to open relatively soon.
I have heard that Herman kept the job because he is next in line for Texas. I assume his angle is that by that time, he would be familiar with recruiting kids from Texas, Louisiana, or other nearby states.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
If a Big 12 invite comes calling, I would take it in a heartbeat. The ACC will not invite us unless they concoct some weird three-division setup; therefore, they will stay with two divisions so they would need to bring a partner with us, bringing the total in basketball to 17. The B1G currently is out of reach because we don't have a partner (maybe Kansas in the future) to go with us.

Here is why we should take the Big 12 invite: if no more conference realignment happens (for at least a decade) after the Big 12 goes to 12, we just received the last two seats on the life rafts.
Even if Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas decide to leave for greener pastures (and we're not involved), the conference we will be in would still possibly be a P5, and it would still be better than the American.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I was EXTREMELY shocked at that move....he had that job for life.
I thought there was some info that BYU was also paying him way below the market rate.

Reaction Score
I thought there was some info that BYU was also paying him way below the market rate.
I never saw that... know there are some unique conditions to have that job (one of them being you have to be a Mormon) that severely limit the candidate pool (as we saw when they replaced him). Going back to LaVell Edwards outside of Gary Crowton (who Mendenhall replaced after he had 3 consecutive losing seasons in addition to several of his players violating the BYU honor code) there has been minimal turnover at BYU with Edwards being there from 1972 -2000 and Mendenhall being there from 2005-2015.

Reaction Score
Hmm, I thought it was weird that he'd leave BYU for what feels like a step-down of a job, but I hadn't even considered that as a possibility. Not sure I buy it, but it does provide some logic to what still seemed like a poor career choice.
Everyone thought Maryland was a lateral move for RE.

Reaction Score
A. UConn doesn't have a choice in the matter. They will take the first P5 invite that comes their way and if that's the Big12 than we accept it without hesitation.

B. We are currently in a league with Tulsa, Tulane, SMU, Houston, Memphis, ECU, and 2 directional Florida schools. How exactly does it seem crazy to be in a conference with Texas, Oklahoma, Baylor, Kansas, etc?

Maybe I am biased but I just don't see the appeal of Cincinnati. If they played Ohio State in Cincy how much of the crowd is rooting for the Buckeyes? 60% 70%? If you are not a flagship school of that state I just don't see why you are an attractive option.

I would take BYU and UConn in a heartbeat of the options.

You're drastically underrating Cincinnati. They've polled the area many times and Ohio State has about 25% support in Cincinnati. They own the state, but UC owns the Cincy metro area. Dayton (which by most accounts is merging with Cincinnati for media markets in 2017) is split about 50/50. The combined Cincy-Dayton metro is about 3M people, which would make it the 18th largest metro in the country.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
You're drastically underrating Cincinnati. They've polled the area many times and Ohio State has about 25% support in Cincinnati. They own the state, but UC owns the Cincy metro area.

Who gets better attendance for men's basketball home games, the Bearcats or Xavier?

Reaction Score
UDayton itself has a pretty rabid hoops fanbase. I don't believe they sponsor football though.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I'm not sure I buy the equal claim but for argument's sake I'll accept that.

How can you possibly claim you own a market when you are splitting the second highest profile sport 50/50?

Reaction Score
I'm not sure I buy the equal claim but for argument's sake I'll accept that.

How can you possibly claim you own a market when you are splitting the second highest profile sport 50/50?

That was a quick guess from looking at the past couple games of each. X had roughly 10k for most recent 3 games, Cincy had 10k, 10k, 13k. I think X pretty much sells out every game but their capacity is right around 10k. Because UC's ratings are way higher and always have been.

Reaction Score
That was a quick guess from looking at the past couple games of each. X had roughly 10k for most recent 3 games, Cincy had 10k, 10k, 13k. I think X pretty much sells out every game but their capacity is right around 10k. Because UC's ratings are way higher and always have been.
This is a little dated but here are some numbers. Looks like Xavier has an edge.

http://cincyontheprowl.com/2014/07/01/uc-bearcats-basketball-attendance-cincinnati-home-games-7/

http://www.goxavier.com/news/2012/5...s_the_Top_40_In_NCAA_Attendance_Rankings.aspx

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom