Key Tweet Discussion (discuss any tweet posted in Key Tweet Thread) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Key Tweet Discussion (discuss any tweet posted in Key Tweet Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I read something that said the internet wasn't fast enough because of the distance, so now they can use microwaves (not the kind that heats up food).

This kind of microwave?

498x500

Reaction Score
Well-rounded is the reason it takes four years to graduate college instead of three (thereby raising costs for students). We don't need a gazillion bogus general education courses (two or three is fine), and we don't need sports we can't afford.
Specifically, do you know the total # of scholarships respectively granted to each of the following: 1) golf, 2) Men's CC, and, perhaps most importantly, 3) Women's CC? For the latter, see Title IX. Asked another way, how much of your commentary leans heavily on speculation versus actual fact-based knowledge?

Last edited:

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Specifically, do you the total # of scholarships granted respectively granted to each of the following: 1) golf, 2) Men's CC, and, perhaps most importantly, 3) Women's CC? For the latter, see Title IX. Asked another way, how much of your commentary leans heavily on speculation versus actual fact-based knowledge?
It works out perfectly: there are 29 athletes (some may be walk-ons) between golf and men's cross country, and 29 athletes in women's cross country.

Reaction Score
Specifically, do you the total # of scholarships granted respectively granted to each of the following: 1) golf, 2) Men's CC, and, perhaps most importantly, 3) Women's CC? For the latter, see Title IX. Asked another way, how much of your commentary leans heavily on speculation versus actual fact-based knowledge?

It works out perfectly: there are 29 athletes (some may be walk-ons) between golf and men's cross country, and 29 athletes in women's cross country.

You are allowed only 12.6 men's cross country scholarships, only 18 female cross country scholarships and only 4.6 male golf scholarships (golf is an equivalency sport where partials are allowed - not sure about x-country.)

shizzle787

Reaction Score
You are allowed only 12.6 men's cross country scholarships and only 18 female cross country scholarships and 4.6 male golf scholarships (and golf is an equivalency sport where partials are allowed.)
So basically you are allowed 17.2 male scholarships between the two sports and 18 female scholarships. You would have to likely take one scholarship away from one other male sport (one where the impact wouldn't be too bad such as baseball) in order to break even.

Reaction Score
So basically you are allowed 17.2 male scholarships between the two sports and 18 female scholarships. You would have to likely take one scholarship away from one other male sport (one where the impact wouldn't be too bad such as baseball) in order to break even.

You are also not taking into consideration that a number of these scholarships are endowed and covered by external funds.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
You are also not taking into consideration that a number of these scholarships are endowed and covered by external funds.
We'll leave it at we don't know how many of these scholarships are endowed (as it's a challenge to find out), and some of these sports are losing money (even with donor funds) so something has to happen. If we get into the Big 12, we shouldn't have to worry about it as the budget deficit will be shrunk if not closed entirely.

Reaction Score
Perfectly? Perhaps, but total # of athletes per sport does not necessarily have to equal total # of scholarships. The first, specific question focused on the actual # of scholarships granted by sport. In other words, the # of allowable scholarships (partial or full) does not have to equal the # of scholarships actually granted by UConn. Based on your reply, speculation appears to be a real possibility versus actual, fact-based knowledge.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Perfectly? Perhaps, but total # of athletes per sport does not necessarily have to equal total # of scholarships. The first, specific question focused on the actual # of scholarships granted by sport. In other words, the # of allowable scholarships (partial or full) does not have to equal the # of scholarships actually granted. Based on your reply, speculation appears to be a real possibility versus actual, fact-based knowledge.
I have found out that 17.2 scholarships for men are allocated between the two sports, and 18 scholarships are allocated for the women (via the above posts), meaning we would have to offer two half scholarships instead of one full to two baseball players for instance to cover the last male scholarship.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I have found out that 17.2 scholarships for men are allocated between the two sports, and 18 scholarships are allocated for the women (via the above posts), meaning we would have to offer two half scholarships instead of one full to two baseball players for instance to cover the last male scholarship.
My first question is do you know if these sports are fully funded (provide the full number of allowable scholarships)?

shizzle787

Reaction Score
My first question is do you know if these sports are fully funded (provide the full number of allowable scholarships)?
I'm not sure, the total number of males athletes is 29 between the two sports, and women have the same. I don't see why (even if they were permitted to do so) Uconn would have less scholarship players than the cap (other than for mass defections in basketball to the NBA, but they usually give walk-ons scholarships if there aren't enough scholarship players already).

shizzle787

Reaction Score

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
In the revenue sports (football, men's & women's hoops) we generally are at or near the maximum scholarships at all times. There are sports we intentionally leave ourselves a few (or more) under the limit on for financial reasons.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
We'll leave it at we don't know how many of these scholarships are endowed (as it's a challenge to find out), and some of these sports are losing money (even with donor funds) so something has to happen. If we get into the Big 12, we shouldn't have to worry about it as the budget deficit will be shrunk if not closed entirely.

These sports never made money, they don't make money at schools outside of the D1 either... they also don't costs a ton. Cross country is a pittance. The men's track team probably stretches 10 scholarships across 40 kids. Football's operating deficit is greater than the operating budget of cross country and track.

Reaction Score
don't be a tease: spill it

I was just making fun of the fact that none of the Twitterati are ever close to what's really going on behind the scenes.

Seriously, I thought the Big Ten would be fine, regardless. I just didn't think Fox would go massive for just half a package. Shows you the power of live content.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
@CL82 Such as whom? Fran Tarkenton? Correct # and state, but nope.
Another poster on this board uses that avatar. I'm suggesting, only somewhat tongue in cheek, that perhaps he is "the Flug."

Reaction Score
About that Chip Brown interview in the Key Tweets thread, the B12 is showing signs of the Big East of a few years ago. There as well there was talk about adding teams with any pulse to keep the BCS spot. Obviously that didn't work as teams left anyway. Also, in the case of the Big East, there were delusions about poaching programs from the ACC. Now the Big 12 fanatics still have delusions of poaching from the ACC and/or Pac-12.

I say they should keep it easy and split up the B12 programs into other conferences.

Reaction Score
About that Chip Brown interview in the Key Tweets thread, the B12 is showing signs of the Big East of a few years ago. There as well there was talk about adding teams with any pulse to keep the BCS spot. Obviously that didn't work as teams left anyway. Also, in the case of the Big East, there were delusions about poaching programs from the ACC. Now the Big 12 fanatics still have delusions of poaching from the ACC and/or Pac-12.

I say they should keep it easy and split up the B12 programs into other conferences.
I thought this thread would've just died out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom