Kentucky down to 6 players | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kentucky down to 6 players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I can't see how he still has a job when he barely as a team left.

The situation at Kentucky has turned into a dumpster fire. Wildcats fans are going to be looking over their glasses at the AD as well, as he is facilitating this dynamic. I can't see Mitchell being retained after next year if he doesn't come out of this smelling like a rose. He's going to have to pull rabbits out of hats, wave a couple of magic wands, and pray for divine intervention. It can't get much worse than this. Between pulling in some juco players and holding open tryouts when school starts, I'm sure he'll be able to field a team. I don't expect him to win 10 games this coming season.

Reaction Score
Mitchell made another statement: LINK.

My interpretation is that he feels he didn't give them enough love and encouragement.

I too hope he turns things around. As coach he thinks about getting his players in shape: Physically, mentally, emotionally, and academically. With 12 or 15 players on the squad it is a herculean task to stroke each ego as they want it stroked. Geno, has had success by having Christine, Shea, Marissa and other players assisting with emotional wellness.
I have not heard nor read any thing that says he is abusive morally, emotionally or physically. Until he is damned by actual facts:
I WISH him well!!. Geno has commented, in the last 5 years, that this new group of kids need more attention than those in the past, I read that as : They need more love/vocal approval-less negative corrections.

Constructive criticism--all criticism hurts. Constructive advice/suggestions if accepted work better.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
How many does Duke have?
I tried to scope it out, couldn't
I count 11 for Duke.

Chidom, McCravey-Cooper, Brown, Mathias, Greenwell, Belton, Lambert, Prim, Suggs, Gorecki, Odom. (Roma, xfr in, r/s this year).

Could be 10 though, Cooper had dis-enrolled for the Spring. No idea if she'll be back for the fall or not???

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
Too bad this decent six-player rotation isn't one Kentucky might be able to use analogously:

• Breanna Stewart
  • Moriah Jefferson
  • Kiah Stokes
  • Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis
  • Bria Hartley
  • Stefanie Dolson
Call me crazy, but I think that short rotation right there could form the foundation of a 40-0 team…in the hands of the right coaching staff! ;)

Reaction Score
I count 11 for Duke.
Chidom, McCravey-Cooper, Brown, Mathias, Greenwell, Belton, Lambert, Prim, Suggs, Gorecki, Odom. (Roma, xfr in, r/s this year). Could be 10 though, Cooper had dis-enrolled for the Spring. No idea if she'll be back for the fall or not???

Of the 10 players who averaged >10 mins, 6 return:
Greenwell (Jr), Chidom (Sr), Lambert (So), Primm (So), Gorecki (So), Belton (So). Possibly Cooper.

Suggs (So) & Mathias (Jr) had limited PT.

And they add transfer Brown (Jr) and Odom (Fr)

They have a bit of an issue with size with Henson graduating and Stevens transferring.
It's Chidom, Belton (2 ACLs including one in Feb), Mathias (didnt play much last year), and frosh Odom.

Reaction Score
According to ESPN a new assistant coach will be announced Tuesday

Reaction Score
new assistant coach Lin Dunn. Why ?

proxy.jpg

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Interesting strategy - something is obviously wrong in the program. Instead of firing the coach, double down and let him go get all-star staff of assistants.

Reaction Score
Interesting strategy - something is obviously wrong in the program. Instead of firing the coach, double down and let him go get all-star staff of assistants.
Maybe it wasn't his choice. :rolleyes:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Wow! That was totally unexpected and really strange to me on both sides - why would she take the job, and what an odd choice to select such a huge 'personality' to an assistants position.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
Wow! That was totally unexpected and really strange to me on both sides - why would she take the job, and what an odd choice to select such a huge 'personality' to an assistants position.

Coach in waiting maybe? She did that at Indiana, coming in as an assistant for the first few years, then taking over as head coach. Or maybe they think she can teach Mitchel to coach his team, build his players skills and run a real offense.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I hope he can turn things around.

She can..........if he'll listen, put his ego in check and take her advise. This (pardon my English) ain't her first rodeo. She's been down this road many times. If you look closely, you'll probably see some streets or roads named in her honor. :rolleyes: A very good hire for the program. The wheels weren't coming off, they already came off. They needed a "icon" in the women's game to come in and right the ship. Lin can do that. She not only brings experience, but leadership, honesty and integrity as well. Program dynamics some would say were missing here to fore.

Reaction Score
One reason for the stategy, the school doesn't want to pay off the remainder of his contract. So, adieu players.

Reaction Score
One reason for the stategy, the school doesn't want to pay off the remainder of his contract. So, adieu players.

Bingo! They should be looking into why he can't get along with the numerous assistant coaches he has gone through. I've never seen anything like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom