Kelsey Plum just passed some mega-names ... | The Boneyard

Kelsey Plum just passed some mega-names ...

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
... on the all-time NCAAW scoring list. She scored 34 points vs. ASU tonight, including 15 in the 4th quarter.

Osahor, meanwhile, collected 20 rebounds in this game.

kFWBfaJ.png

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
... on the all-time NCAAW scoring list. She scored 34 points vs. ASU tonight, including 15 in the 4th quarter.

Osahor, meanwhile, collected 20 rebounds in this game.

kFWBfaJ.png

Today she also passed Cheryl Miller. Holdsclaw, Moore and Miller.....that is one heck of a group of players to surpass in a single game.

She has 11 games left in the regular season, likely 2-3 games in the Pac 12 Tournament, and likely anywhere from 2-5 games left in the NCAA tournament meaning she'll have 15-19 games left. She has just 353 points to go to break Stiles record.

To hit this, she'll need to average:
23.53 ppg if just 15 games
18.58 ppg if it's 19 games

Right now she's averaging 31ppg and 32.7 in conference place. If she continues to average 20+ shots per game, there's little doubt she'll get the record.

If she can maintain her average of 31ppg the rest of the year, she'll finish up her career with:
15 games: 3506 points
19 games: 3630 points

Pistol Pete's record stands at 3667 points. It doesn't look likely, but it's not out of the question either.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Today she also passed Cheryl Miller. Holdsclaw, Moore and Miller.....that is one heck of a group of players to surpass in a single game.

She has 11 games left in the regular season, likely 2-3 games in the Pac 12 Tournament, and likely anywhere from 2-5 games left in the NCAA tournament meaning she'll have 15-19 games left. She has just 353 points to go to break Stiles record.

Right now she's averaging 31ppg and 32.7 in conference place. If she continues to average 20+ shots per game, there's little doubt she'll get the record.

If she can maintain her average of 31ppg the rest of the year, she'll finish up her career with:

Pistol Pete's record stands at 3667 points. It doesn't look likely, but it's not out of the question either.

An interesting caveat to your point on Cheryl Miller is the fact that teams played fewer games per season back then. Miller led USC to a 112-20 record, which means that her team averaged 33 games played per season. Nowadays, if you play six games in the NCAA tournament, that means you play anywhere from roughly 38 to 41 games in a season. I wonder how many points Miller might have had if she'd played an additional 5 or so games per season.

Reaction Score
An interesting caveat to your point on Cheryl Miller is the fact that teams played fewer games per season back then. Miller led USC to a 112-20 record, which means that her team averaged 33 games played per season. Nowadays, if you play six games in the NCAA tournament, that means you play anywhere from roughly 38 to 41 games in a season. I wonder how many points Miller might have had if she'd played an additional 5 or so games per season.

When are you going to ask Roger Maris to attach the asterisk?

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
She's a senior? She still looks like a freshman. My goodness I thought she still had 1 more year.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Same question could be asked of Jackie Stiles or EDD. If EDD didn't sit out much of her sophomore year, she could easily have this record. If Stiles played 145-150 games, she likely beats out Pistol Pete's record. What's even crazier to think is that Maravich scored 3667 points in just 3 seasons. Different eras, but if he had a huge senior season, he likely could've wound up scoring 5000 points in college.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score

The other record is Lynnette Woodard's 3,649 done in the 4 years 1977-1981 before the NCAA sanctioned Women's basketball. She is fun to watch and I am rooting for her.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Let's hope she doesn't have to play Louisville in the NCAA tourney. They play really tough defense.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Let's hope she doesn't have to play Louisville in the NCAA tourney. They play really tough defense.

Huh? Is this a joke that I'm not getting?

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Same question could be asked of Jackie Stiles or EDD. If EDD didn't sit out much of her sophomore year, she could easily have this record. If Stiles played 145-150 games, she likely beats out Pistol Pete's record. What's even crazier to think is that Maravich scored 3667 points in just 3 seasons. Different eras, but if he had a huge senior season, he likely could've wound up scoring 5000 points in college.

True, and there was no 3 point shot then, either.

Reaction Score

Maravich only played 3 varsity seasons because at that time freshmen were ineligible to play varsity athletics. He did actually play his senior year at LSU. He also played before the era of the shot clock and the 3-point line, and yet his scoring record still stands. Amazing phenom.

Reaction Score
Maravich only played 3 varsity seasons because at that time freshmen were ineligible to play varsity athletics. He did actually play his senior year at LSU. He also played before the era of the shot clock and the 3-point line, and yet his scoring record still stands. Amazing phenom.

He was also on a team that, if I remember correctly, never played in the NCAA tournament. In his senior year, they were in the NIT and lost in the semi-finals. They played Army, coached by Bobby Knight in the consolation game, and he didn't play.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
The PAC is racking up some injuries. It will be interesting to see who comes out of the conference unscathed.

Reaction Score

This is where a stat like career points-per-game avg. is useful for such comparisons. Cheryl Miller's college career PPG was 23.6; Kelsey Plum's is currently 24.5. (Patricia Hoskins of Miss. Valley owns the NCAA career record of 28.4 ppg; she only played 110 games, but is still 3rd on the all-time list with 3122 pts.)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He was also on a team that, if I remember correctly, never played in the NCAA tournament. In his senior year, they were in the NIT and lost in the semi-finals. They played Army, coached by Bobby Knight in the consolation game, and he didn't play.

You are correct. Maravich averaged 44.2 ppg for his varsity career. Amazing!

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
(I also thought that if the Pac-12 Network was gonna screw up the spelling of EDD's name, it would be her last name, not her first.) :confused:

Maybe it takes two WNBA MVP awards to get your name spelled right.

Plebe

Reaction Score
The PAC is racking up some injuries. It will be interesting to see who comes out of the conference unscathed.

Washington State has been completely decimated by injuries. With the apparent season-ending knee injury to Chanelle Molina (who had just been named national Freshman of the Week), WSU is now without their top 3 scorers, plus the role player who banged her head on the floor at ASU.

Kelsey Moos of ASU is out one month with a plantar fascia injury sustained against Cal. Washington's Heather Corral is supposed to get an MRI on her knee today.

Reaction Score
Huh, Charlie Creme, in his latest Bracketology, has got UDub projected as the 2-seed in the Bridgeport Regional. I'm pulling for the West Coast Huskies to win the PAC-12 and get the 1 or 2 seed in Stockton (so Plum & company can make the FF again).

Plebe

Reaction Score

All very good points. The Wikipedia entry also reminded me that Banham actually padded her total with an extra 10 games from a 5th season, when she injured her knee 10 games into the season (probably the maximum she could've played and still taken a medical redshirt).

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Here are the numbers for the two top scorers in Baylor history. I'm guessing that most people have never heard f Suzie Snider but I got to see her play and she was one of the best I've ever seen.
1. Suzie Snider Eppers - 3,861
2. Brittney Griner - 3,283

Snider also finished her Baylor career with 2176 rebounds.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
You are correct. Maravich averaged 44.2 ppg for his varsity career. Amazing!
Maravich's career matched the years of Calvin Murphy (Norwalk High) at Niagara and Rick Mount at Purdue. Murph averaged 33.1 ppg for his career. Mount also averaged over 30 ppg for his career.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom