Katie Lou | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Katie Lou

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The "Three Elites" will all be elite. I like Doris Burke and Dave O'Brien. They make the game enjoyable to watch. Yes, Doris was being appreciative of the effort it took for a young team like UConn to come into hostile territory and win comfortably.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Lou's scoop shot is not as elegant as Maya's, in my opinion, but it's very effective. She can do it with either hand, and she covers a LOT of territory when she uses it. The shot appears to start at the FT line.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I'll bash Doris. Towards the end of the game, she said, "This is a very talented, very deep Notre Dame team. But UConn is going to walk out of here with a win."

Huh? It's as if UConn got lucky, as if they didn't deserve it. I'm really tired of her constant cheerleading for Connecticut to lose.

You have got to be *ing me!

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Lou going to the hoop in HS
Lou spring 2015.png

Reaction Score
Last season Lou and Phees were always hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe and this year it is down to business baby. Freshman hehehehes are over and they have both come on strong. Assuming responsibility for some leadership on the team looks good on both of them.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
After the game about 2 weeks ago, CD said that they were showing her films of Richard "Rip" Hamilton, certainly the best player in UConn history in getting open by moving without the ball. And now, progressively, they've taught her movement and created isolation plays for her. I suspect they will continue to create complexity for all three of their wings, taking advantage of their athleticism.
Didn't UConn have a guy named Ray Allen that was pretty good?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'll bash Doris. Towards the end of the game, she said, "This is a very talented, very deep Notre Dame team. But UConn is going to walk out of here with a win."
Huh? It's as if UConn got lucky, as if they didn't deserve it. I'm really tired of her constant cheerleading for Connecticut to lose.

I took that as emphasis as to magnitude of the performance UConn had just put on.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Seeing her catch a pass, then spinning and putting the ball on the floor as she drives to the basket is a great addition to her game this year.
You have to love the way KLS (and the rest, actually) keeps building her game. Her driving ability will open up her jumper. Last year, having 3 WNBA players opened up her jumper.

Reaction Score

I thought her comment was definitely a compliment to the Huskies, meaning that we had beaten a really good team. I'm also one of the few that likes the job Doris is doing (although she does ramble on, often while an important play is taking place). I think she's miles better than Meghan, who I like personally and have respect for as an alum. However, nobody can touch the best WCBB analyst out there--Kara Lawson.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Geno said they have had to "Beat the California out of her." Lou has always been a tough kid, but now she's becoming Badass. And she's only a sophomore. :)

On that note, it appears that Geno's "California" crack is not going over well with certain orange-hued commentators:

As I tweeted after the game, I suppose now the "don't hate, just get better" and "if you don't like UConn, you don't like basketball" chatter will begin again soon. Words can't express how bored I am with that line of thinking and all the yammering that goes with it.

In the meantime, UConn coach Geno Auriemma apparently said in the post-game press conference that they had to "knock the California out of Katie Lou Samuelson" to get her to play their way. And UConn fans wonder why Auriemma offends so many people.

I'm glad that Washington coach Mike Neighbors didn't try to knock the California out of Kelsey Plum, because she's the nation's leading scorer. Again.​

I swear, some people will be offended if Geno simply says "please" or "thank you."

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Lou is getting the Stewie treatment, and unlike Stewie who had Dolson & Stokes around to protect her, the bumping and hand-checking that Lou is facing this season has reached an entirely new level. IMO it is the ultimate complement to Lou's ability that opponents are doing everything possible to keep her from beating them, and yet Lou is still beating them.
That's why we need to get Batouly eligible just as fast as we can.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
I see the similarities in the way teams try to defend the sophomore Lou and the way teams defended the sophomore Stewie, the knock on them at the point in their respective careers is be physical with them because they don't like contact. The new "freedom of movement" rules are supposed to clean up that type of play but it varies official to official and game to game. Lou will have to learn the lesson Stewie learned, she has to improve her ball-handling skills to be able to get to wherever she wants to go on the floor with the ball in her hands. Coaches will will start defending her with smaller players to get into her when she's out on the wing and disrupt her timing, Maya Moore was the past master at beating defenders off the dribble from the wing or the top of the key,still is, I saw this with Texas and DePaul, smaller players guarding her on the wing make her uncomfortable and Connecticut's post entry passing needs work, especially from the wing. Last night Lou was had her defender buried in the post and showed her numbers on at least four plays and didn't get the ball. Those play would have resulted in buckets, fouls or both. I'm sure Shea is working with her on the handle as she did with Stewie and like Stewie once Lou improves her handle to the point that she's comfortable putting the ball on the floor against smaller defenders, she too will be unguardable....

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Lou going to the hoop in HS View attachment 17496
Thanks - I was going to say that Lou didn't add her driving ability at CT, she brought it with her - USA baseketball generally used her as a spot up three shooter, but she did more on a bum ankle in the three on three team, and she was pretty good at Mater Dei with interior shots, though best know for breaking KML's single season 3 record.

The scoop shot i really liked came earlier when she went down the lane left handed and banked it home from about five feet away. She missed a number of bunnies last night, but she is usually in Gabby class in terms of dexterity and shot accuracy from five feet in with either hand - not the same elevation but impressive body control to cut through defenders and get the shot up and in.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I see the similarities in the way teams try to defend the sophomore Lou and the way teams defended the sophomore Stewie, the knock on them at the point in their respective careers is be physical with them because they don't like contact. The new "freedom of movement" rules are supposed to clean up that type of play but it varies official to official and game to game. Lou will have to learn the lesson Stewie learned, she has to improve her ball-handling skills to be able to get to wherever she wants to go on the floor with the ball in her hands. Coaches will will start defending her with smaller players to get into her when she's out on the wing and disrupt her timing, Maya Moore was the past master at beating defenders off the dribble from the wing or the top of the key,still is, I saw this with Texas and DePaul, smaller players guarding her on the wing make her uncomfortable and Connecticut's post entry passing needs work, especially from the wing. Last night Lou was had her defender buried in the post and showed her numbers on at least four plays and didn't get the ball. Those play would have resulted in buckets, fouls or both. I'm sure Shea is working with her on the handle as she did with Stewie and like Stewie once Lou improves her handle to the point that she's comfortable putting the ball on the floor against smaller defenders, she too will be unguardable....
Agreed. We may also need a "vintage Geno" referee rant to help with some foul calls. Saw many elbows to Lou's body that in most cases would be fouls that didn't even raise ref's eyebrows.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
On that note, it appears that Geno's "California" crack is not going over well with certain orange-hued commentators:

As I tweeted after the game, I suppose now the "don't hate, just get better" and "if you don't like UConn, you don't like basketball" chatter will begin again soon. Words can't express how bored I am with that line of thinking and all the yammering that goes with it.

In the meantime, UConn coach Geno Auriemma apparently said in the post-game press conference that they had to "knock the California out of Katie Lou Samuelson" to get her to play their way. And UConn fans wonder why Auriemma offends so many people.

I'm glad that Washington coach Mike Neighbors didn't try to knock the California out of Kelsey Plum, because she's the nation's leading scorer. Again.​

I swear, some people will be offended if Geno simply says "please" or "thank you."
When we got a LOI from EDD, Geno said that she was uber-talented, but not the toughest kid on the block. I think that's what he means about Lou. Geno grew up on Philly ball. He just wants his players to be tough and has a smart-ass way of putting things.

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
Sometimes ending the rough stuff can only be accomplished in the most undesireable way...
Sending a message..."Dee getting punched by Auburn point guard" Geno whispering in Ashley Valley's ear...Ashley goes in...17 seconds later Auburn point guard leveled in front of Auburn bench, Ashley going hard for a steal...Ashley Valley back out...No more punching Dee rest of game...Bridgeport Regional...

Reaction Score
I took that as emphasis as to magnitude of the performance UConn had just

If Muffet had coached her considerable talent, put a lid on Agumbowale, benched Mabrey , got her frosh to pass the ball instead of going one on one, who knows what might have happened? Out coached, out hustled, the Irish folded like a deck of old cards. To the victor go the spoils, in this case bragging rights until they meet again. McGraw was right, they have to watch the film.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom